Everything Prefab

But these will rented to qualified tenants that make too little to live here. Should have just built market rate housing. Plenty of houses a lot cheaper on the market. In fact the average house in South Lake Tahoe is $725k. I am selling a 2/1 market rate condo 1000sf for $360/sf. This project is a travesty. Plus my condo has covered parking, a pool and is in a prime location one block from the beach. Government should stay out of the housing business.

Sorry i read more carefully this time now.

So you have no actually involvement? Just venting about local govt idiocy / bureaucracy?

It is a truly disgusting example of government stupidity and wast of course the city has been slapping itself on the back for years bragging about it. 1 and 2-3 bed units to be rented under $2000/month… not sure who pays for the subsidized units

Instant slum. 30-60% income average required. Meaning only for the homeless.

1 Like

My manufactured home in the desert went up in four months, soup to nuts. Permits, electric, foundation, septic, getting it finaled, everything. Life is good in AZ. The only really trashed area was the septic field which I’ve been able to recover with native vegetation. That and the utility line due to over-aggressive clearing. Took about two years to recover vegetation in those places on account of the drought. Circular driveway with nice saguaros and other native plants in the circle shielding the house.

Now that is more like it or what II think can be accomplished in more jurisdictions if good guardrails and processes are implemented.

I just met a guy who sold his prefab home on 37 acres in Placerville. The banks wouldn’t finance it. Considered it personal not real property. I think he broke even at best. Bought the lot in 2008.
Did all the improvements. The one building he should built prefab was the wine cave. Poured in place 12” thick concrete. Cost over $100k. The house cost about $100/sf plus all the site work and prep. Plus the 3car garage. Nice setting. Very isolated. Highway 193 is a very twisted road. 25 minutes to Placerville.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9042-State-Highway-193-Garden-Valley-CA-95667/247996911_zpid/

Latest pictures of Tahoe pines prefab
They had to frame the roof and stairwells on site. Scaffold the buildings for siding trim and paint…

Ok, so what is your verdict? Too costly still? Still took too long (which may not be the fault of the builder)?

The rumors are they cost $800/sf… similar to stick built but spec homes can be built cheaper. The problem is every government agency involved did their best to gold brick it to build the most expensive monument to their stupidity. The rumor is the proposed dorms at the local junior college are going to be $1000/sf.

Prefab looks great to investors with little knowledge of the construction business. Here is another failure

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/veev-homes-startup-hayward-bankrupt-18519602.php?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1qjf4ajk7s3WuDUWnwteYCCrJELVLtY29Fjeg--m1p2EUcyihDeTrjHoY

Looks like Cavco beat the S&P in the last 5 years though. But not by a lot.