Everything Prefab

Yes, it has taken awhile but must I remind you THAT WE HAD A PANDEMIC??? That, has wiped out a minimum of 2-3 years of everybody’s dreams…

I think your dream of moving to Malaysia makes more sense. Try it , at least part time

From all the people that are applying for the $40K grant, reality of ADUs is def upon us. How can prefab or off site building NOT make sense to you? Labor costs of stick building does not make sense anymore. Ok, why are all these companies rushing to come online with these products then? Fantasy? No way…

Malaysia is coming for me, guaranteed. The US is no longer that great of a country. Trump and his mob have literally ruined this country.

When Lennar Kaufman Broad, TollBrothers and the rest build modules and prefab, I will be convinced. Until then the only prefab that makes sense is multi story multi family like as built in China. Craning a tiny house into your backyard is rarely possible.
Not much prefab in the US . Here’s one in Latvia

Singapore :grinning:

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/about-us/research-and-innovation/construction-productivity/prefabrication-technology

HDB is an early adopter of prefabrication technology. We first used precast components for the construction of flats in the 1980s.

Well, to be honest, if these outfits were smart enough they should be retooling to get ahead of the pack right? But no, most legacy type of companies think they can live forever and that is when they meet their fate. See Kodak.

Well, first of all, that is a year old story and honestly things have changed lately with legislation promoting ADUs that it is becoming more popular and a growth industry. The fact that CA is giving the $40K ADU grant says it all. FREE money!!! Come on!!!

Demand for Prefabricated Apartments Climbs as Costs Balloon for Multifamily Development

More than 50,000 manufactured homes were shipped as of May, a 31% increase from the same period in 2020

I’m postfab.

Meaning, you’ve done it or meh, you’ve passed it, as if it were standing on the side of the road???

I used to be fab, now I’m kind of a downer. Totally fine houses, though. Machines

2 Likes

:joy:

My main goal in life is to not end up in a trailer. Prefab at its purest. I got my engineering business from an old Engineer that ended up in a trailer park

Between the lawsuits the IRS and a nasty ex wife, he lost everything and ended living out his days in a double wide. That’s why I retired from structural engineering 20 years ago.

…and apparently got a decent wife. How did you meet her again?

I met my wife after I retired. She may be planning my trailer park demise… who knows. Hopefully after senility sets in

Not sure why prefab is being singled out. Name anything that has not been impacted by technology and automation. Gee, let’s go back to cobblers and blacksmiths…

Bureaucrats and plaintiffs attorneys insure that building industry is the same it was 50 years ago
No incentive to innovate. As an engineer I never specified Ijoists only 2x12s. No one can be sued for a natural product . I never wanted to spec a brand product. Construction is by nature a reactionary business.

Prefab being built in South Lake Tahoe. Modular units built in the Valley. 5 years of planning. Already 1 year of construction. Complete maybe next year. Not affordable not fast and requires a huge staging area. costs more than $800/sf. $825k per unit… with no covered parking.
Siding roofing finishes all have to be built on site. Along with foundations, site work paving landscaping, etc
250 units… that will all be subsidized and fought over to find out who qualifies to live there. A total bureaucratic nightmare.

1 Like