Finishing a garage

Hi guys.

So, I’m starting to work on my garage. Someone had installed sheets of 1/8" fake wood panelling that are both warped, flexible, easy to break, and kind of fibrous rather than solid. I’ve decided to take them out. The walls appear to have a black sheet held by thin wires protecting the outside wall, but other than that, just the studs, no insulation or anything. Well, some spiderwebs.

The garage is a separate building. I intend to use it for the following:

1. Laundry and water heater (that area is actually already drywalled, and I wont’ pull that out)
  2. Park 1 car
  3. Storage–There’s shelving on the right wall because it’s recessed from the garage door opening. It already has hanging bracket shelving there, but I’ll have to pull it out and put it back in if I redo the wall.
  4. Wood workshop, possibly a laser cutter, but unlikely

What are your thoughts/advice on redoing the inside garage walls?

Is drywall much better than 1/8" wood panelling? Dry wall seems more complicated, and more permanent. With wood panelling, I can screw/unscrew it if I want to inspect inside the walls.

Should I bother putting in insulation if it’s not attached to the house and I don’t do woodworking very often?

I’m not intending to finish the floors which are cement in good shape, but would you argue for the epoxy coated floors?

Anything I should think about?

What about beadboard vs. Drywall?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EUCATILE-32-sq-ft-3-16-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-Beadboard-White-True-Bead-Panel-975-759/205669196

Woman cave!!!

2 Likes

I’m confused by what you mean a black sheet held with thin wire to protect outside walls. The outside wall should be plywood/OSB. It’ll have a plastic coating on the outside. There shouldn’t be anything on the inside. Drywall is pretty easy to do if you go that route.

I don’t know what the outside wall is made of, but the inside of it is a black paper-like sheet with wires running across the inside of it. Outside is stucco.

My garage is definitely not that big.

I’ll have to save the videogame arcade for my Tardis.

It sound like stucco lath. Basically chicken wire and building paper fused together
Modern version

2 Likes

Ok. So if the stucco is on the other side, then it sounds like making sure the walls are completely covered on the inside is definitely necessary, not just cosmetic…

1 Like

True

Interesting. I always thought they did the plywood/OSB then did the stucco on top of that. At least that’s how it should be done.

1 Like

Don’t need plywood in a garage . Stucco actually has a good shear value. Of course today they would use OSB. This garage sounds like pre 1980

2 Likes

Drywall is better to protect against fire.

You can park your car in the drive way and make your garage a party room or gym.

Infact in old houses …they just use to do stucco lath on the entire house not just the garage.

1 Like

sheet rock, R13 insulation bats min, stucco (if you want to make look attractive), paint it over.
Unless it has oil or cracks I will power wash the floor.
Cracks/holes are great way to invite rats, cockroaches from neighborhood. Awful comfortable inside.

1 Like

Oh boy. I wonder if that’s what’s on the first floor of our house. second floor was an addition.

The garage does appear to be 1960s.

Good point regarding fire protection.

Gym maybe… Party–not with all my crap in there. Lots of space outside though. Maybe we should get a firepit.

Or, put in a bathroom and sink and voila an inlaw apartment fit for a king…

1 Like

We have a guest room and four bathrooms, so we are alllll set in that area now :slight_smile:

I assume she means stucco paper like below, @Terri can confirm. Pretty common in unfinished garages around here I think.

3 Likes

Supplemental income potential with a stranger…