Google, San Jose plan search giant’s downtown expansion; up to 20,000 jobs possible

As expected…

4 Likes

Do you see any short-term and longer-term real-estate prices affect in Willow-glen/ Cambrian area because of this. Given lot of development happening in san Jose downtown and these two area are in 5 miles radius, I feel they will appreciate better as google get closer to the final plan. Want to catch the ship before its too late. Does anyone know, when google is planning to break the ground for this and with SJ approval of land sale, is there any major hurdle to the project

2 Likes

Last one year, It is already up (priced-in). Google Project is phased almost 5 years term.

It’s expected to bring more demand and increase housing costs, but if you are targeting Cambrian and Willow Glen I would assume you will see smaller gains versus areas that are rougher. Those are already desireable neighborhoods pushing far above 1M for starter homes. If you look at the current pricing in the most competitive markets you will see where current highly compensated folks top out at.

1 Like

Well, on the news this morning, it was reported that we are still talking about probably 2035 when this is all done…

Just to clarify, we are not buying investment property. We are looking for primary residence home. Given the current prices at 1.5M for in that area, it made me wonder if it will ever go up from here. Looking for 7-10 year timeframe.

Good question, because I personally could see it as a double edged sword. Yes, pricing could go way up due to close proximity to all of the jobs and action yet maybe the congestion and traffic could be a drawback/negative. Kind of like living by the Giants ballyard here. Cool but do you really want to be around here when the Giants are in season?

2035 for Google office in SJ? That’s 17 years away

1 Like

Here, at the end says construction could begin as early as 2022 and may last through to 2035…

1 Like

Last one year, Rose garden nice neighborhood (schools are not that great) built year 1990 or after, going tough with bids. Current slag has some impact on multiple bids, due to eligibility, but still going at good rate. This is preferable as it is easy to commute north bound (SFO) using Diridon station.

Next place comes to willow glen, some pockets of good school areas, large lot - old nice neighborhood always at high end above 1.5M levels. Now, competition is low, again eligibility, but I do not see any deals really. It may be one more year wait required to see some good deals. Commute has additional hassle 5-10 mins during traffic time, either through all hwys 17-880 or 87 or 280 or 85.

BTW: I own a home at WG - Dry-creek area.

I personally think so and invested in this area recently. I specifically bought a home within walking distance of VTA bus stop which is connected to Diridon Station/ Adobe headquarter directly. The reason is because those offices won’t have much parking spaces.
Hope my judgement is correct. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What are the good pocket in willowglen with good school. Are you talking about the pockets where it falls under Cambrian school district ? Willowglen has good primary schools, but middle and high school are not that great. Assuming because people with high income are putting their kids to private schools. BTW… we love the dry-creek area except its out of our reach.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m tired of these community people. California is so anti-business. How much longer will companies tolerate it? Google could build that campus in plenty of cities that’d welcome it.

1 Like

Yeah, 5,000 homes should cover all the people that’ll work in 6.5M sq ft of space, lol. This is bullish for RE.

Halo effect :innocent:

1 Like

San Jose should build higher.