Harvard Doesn't Want Asians

Harvard consistently rated Asian-American applicants lower than others on traits like “positive personality,” likability, courage, kindness and being “widely respected,” according to an analysis of more than 160,000 student records filed Friday by a group representing Asian-American students in a lawsuit against the university.

Asian-Americans scored higher than applicants of any other racial or ethnic group on admissions measures like test scores, grades and extracurricular activities, according to the analysis commissioned by a group that opposes all race-based admissions criteria. But the students’ personal ratings significantly dragged down their chances of being admitted, the analysis found.

Asians just lack likability, courage, kindness and being “widely respected", obviously.

They compare Harvard’s treatment of Asian-Americans with its well-documented campaign to reduce the growing number of Jews being admitted to Harvard in the 1920s. Until then, applicants had been admitted on academic merit. To avoid adopting a blatant quota system, Harvard introduced subjective criteria like character, personality and promise. The plaintiffs call this the “original sin of holistic admissions.”

They argue that the same character-based system is being used now to hold the proportion of Asian-Americans at Harvard to roughly 20 percent year after year, except for minor increases, they say, spurred by litigation.

Maybe it’s better to have a blatant quota system, than being told you somehow lack “positive personality”, which is obvious BS.

1 Like

University officials did concede that its 2013 internal review found that if Harvard considered only academic achievement, the Asian-American share of the class would rise to 43 percent from the actual 19 percent. After accounting for Harvard’s preference for recruited athletes and legacy applicants, the proportion of whites went up, while the share of Asian-Americans fell to 31 percent. Accounting for extracurricular and personal ratings, the share of whites rose again, and Asian-Americans fell to 26 percent.

What brought the Asian-American number down to roughly 18 percent, or about the actual share, was accounting for a category called “demographic,” the study found. This pushed up African-American and Hispanic numbers, while reducing whites and Asian-Americans. The plaintiffs said this meant there was a penalty for being Asian-American.

Harvard’s class of 2021 is 14.6 percent African-American, 22.2 percent Asian-American, 11.6 percent Hispanic and 2.5 percent Native-American or Pacific Islander, according to Harvard’s website.

Harvard is right. Asian Americans in general have substandard personality traits compared to other ethnicities. This is because of the repressive culture that they were raised under that saps individualism and charisma. This also makes Asians less likely to become leaders. Asians have no one to blame but their own culture.

3 Likes

Is obvious that most US colleges have a racial quota, just some are more subtle than others. The question is why now then sue? Why sue Harvard only?

The issue is Harvard exploited this cultural trait & other policy but insist is not racist policy. Harvard applies racial policy three times to reduce Asian from 43% to 19%. US corporations also have such subtle discrimination.

“Demographic” is racial, isn’t it?

UC already bans affirmative actions based on race. Race quota is inherently unfair. I have no problem giving out certain quota to poor kids, regardless of race. You can’t argue a white kid living next to a closed coal mine is less deserving than a black kid living in Beverly Hill.

1 Like

Right. Race should never be used for anything.

Affirmative action is one kind of racism.

1 Like

Harvard wouldn’t let my dad in because he was Irish in the 1930s. My sister went. Highly overrated liberal brain washing center of lower education…

2 Likes

diversity in the classroom.

Diversity is a tricky concept. Diversity by what? Nationality? Race? Religion? Culture? Political alignment? Thought? Sexual orientation?

Grades.

Asians prefer Stanford anyway.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with CCSF.

Caltech:

MIT quota in action. They must coordinate with Harvard. The ratio of Asians is surprisingly steady. :smile:

If colleges get rid of SAT and GPA, they would be able to admit students to their desire. There will be no lawsuit since there will be no quantifiable standard.

Actually University of Chicago has decided to get rid of SAT to remove the inequality for the poor.

They can make SAT optional, make GPA optional. They can even make the college GPA score optional so that all the students would graduate in order to remove inequality in graduation rate.

Heck, they can make academic courses optional and make course selection requirements optional. You can take 4 years of English and history and get a computer science degree.

Also nothing wrong with not going to college. There’s always trade school.

1 Like

Mit and harvard have a lot of stuff together - classes, activities etc. I guess that is why, but i saw plrnty of asians when i wqs there. Undergraduate is probably different from graduate, though.