How I negotiated a $300,000 job offer in Silicon Valley

I say he’d be even more awesome if he got mediocre tech skills. If he’s able to BS his way to 300k he got some negotiation kung fu. Promote him to VP ASAP.

1 Like

He undersold himself. If I were him, I would negotiate for more :joy:

The ideal package is 300k signing bonus to buy a house immediately and no quit for 3 years. Firing is ok considering the fat signing bonus :rofl:

1 Like

Bubble economy makes me wonder. SF is more sustainable. SV is inflating too much

1 Like

Why so? I see a lot of early stage startup in SF that relies on VC money too much, but most companies in SV are cash rich and/or not relying on VC money.

1 Like

I’m sure he’s got skills, but whether they are mediocre or not nobody knows until he’s onboarded. How often do you see people who perform well at interviews but suck at their jobs? Happens all the time.

1 Like

2.5 years experience. He says so in the comments.

The market is very tight. I think that is reflected in the increase.

This is very useful to me–looks to me like going rate right now for starting programmers at the major companies. I’ll have to keep it in mind when applying.

2 Likes

$225k gross :slight_smile: not just major companies, startups too.

The $300K guy better checks his email 24/7 :upside_down_face:

How dare he not check the boss’s email. :rofl:

Need a new thread: Yelp sucks.

1 Like

SF’s growth is more sustainable in the long run. Volatility is different from long term trend, as bunch of stock investors will tell you :joy:

SV company seems to hand out bigger package, but SF stock has more potential to rise higher

@manch’s list of things that suck:

Yelp sucks
Tesla sucks
Apple sucks
Trump sucks
Xi sucks
Bezos sex life sucks

1 Like

2.5 yrs into his career would put hims squarely at L4 at G/F. Seems like a standard offer package but he might be coming from a lower-tiered company so recruiter tried to low ball initially.

But as usual, initial numbers rarely matter and the team / product you’re joining changes your career like night and day. If he starts at a shitty team, he’ll be stuck at that number for 4+ years.

1 Like

So how long have you been working?
I recalled @tomato implied he earns less than that package.

add this to the list
chinese food in america sucks

1 Like

That might be for startups. He got the $300K from major companies. I would not be surprised if there was a $75K difference between the two…

$300K guy just made the cut according to this article:

1 Like

Always nice to know that there’s a place for everyone including my artsy kid who isn’t going to make $255K/yr

As long as the artsy kid is gonna inherit your 10M mansion s/he will do alright. :smile:

By artsy means like Jony, is ok. All those beauty lines are artsy right? Very common for artsy women to run beauty products lines. For men, be like Jony.

1 Like