How Is The Circus, Err, Hearing Going?

Sadly, at my ripe old age of near mid 50s, I do sometimes prefer good banter and discussion vs leering at a pretty young thing that could call me Grandpa…

You don’t like Kavanaugh much. Won’t blame you, because the media has been doing a pretty good job painting him as a bad bad choice for the Supreme Court Justice. :grinning:

2 Likes

Geez, with “friends” like this…

Brett, no need to send him a Xmas card this year…

1 Like

continue to read opinion and follow everything media tell you to, you put a man into a sheep herd, the man becomes the sheep.

Do a test, print out every single anti-conservative or common sense article from these media, hide it for 6 months - 9 months, then take them out, see how many of them are reporting the truth. including those article, if trump did this, economy will tank, this will tank, that will tank stuff.

2 Likes

Skimmed through the article; the headline made it sound like the author’s conclusion was based on his prior knowledge of him, when in fact it was entirely based off of the testimony.

2 Likes
1 Like

Really cogent and well written. This is not about convicting Kavanaugh of a crime – the evidence is not there. But there is enough probability that it happened (let’s call it 60:40) on top of partisan and misleading answers that the appropriate course of action is to choose a better nominee.

1 Like

Agree, yet someone like Clarence Thomas made the team. What about the reports from women who said he was a great professor or colleague, which are more recent accounts that should weigh more (to me) than when one was in high school or college? Who doesn’t know a crazy, wild person from those days who blossomed to be a fine, productive citizen? He is a married man and has two daughters. If that doesn’t change a person I don’t know what will. See, I don’t subscribe to the idea that Supreme Court justices are pristine. We all know well that is not the case.

1 Like

He lied to Senate under oath last week. It’s not 40 years ago. It was last week.

still continue the BS prejury bs. why don’t you go back to show evidence he raped , gang rape, attempted rape, throwing ice.

him drinking has nothing to do with rape,
if you say drinking = rape. then i ain’t got nothing to say, and it’s not talking about 1 wk ago stuff, we’re talking about 10-20-30+ years ago stuff, he can claim lapse of memory, mistake, you have no case here.

A witness under oath commits perjury by making a statement in a court or other proceeding that the witness knows is not true. The statement must be “material” to the subject of the proceeding, meaning that it must have some relationship to the lawsuit, investigation

• Only false statements are perjury. False testimony that results from confusion, lapse of memory, or mistake is not perjury. Conflicts in testimony may be perjury if one of the conflicting statements is necessarily false (and prosecutors can prove perjury without proving which one is false).

how many people can remember shxx from 1 year ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago. i ask my guys one of the stuff they did 3.5 years ago before we moved, he remember this and that, but when i search my email, it’s whole different story.
how many of you remember what year you had your first cigarette, drinks, some do, but most of us don’t.

And compare to accuse someone of rape , without 0 evidence, destroy someone’s life, family is okay to you?

3 Likes

At the end of the day, I am more interested in whether I think he can do the job. I believe he is well qualified for the job. The rest is all noise to me. Besides, you Democrats deserve all of this. Next time, go and vote right!!! Even I, a registered Republican, knew well enough that The Donald was inferior to Hillary. If I can rationalize that, where was the rest of Democrat Nation? Oh, probably at the bar…

That brings us back to the last article you linked, why his old friend argued he’s not suitable to be a SC judge. If you blanked out all the sexual misconduct allegations and just looked at his performance last week, it’s a clear no.

They stayed home pining away for Bernie

1 Like

I said this before. A part of me actually want to see GOP call the bluff and plow through with this guy. I am interested to see what the reaction from the left will be. We are firmly in the #metoo era. Anger is hugely motivating when it comes to voting.

Come on, Clarence Thomas is fine???

Thomas would get toasted if his confirmation hearing is 2018 instead of 1991. C’mon. Did you see men CEO’s getting fired left and right for sexual misconduct reasons back in the 90s?

Even Steve Bannon gets it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-13/in-exile-bannon-sounds-the-metoo-alarm

Come on, the GOP just wants to stack the Supreme Court which will pay dividends way beyond this coming election. They are willing to lose the battle to win the war…

Yeah, I am aware of that. Supreme Court judges can be impeached though. Or if one day the Dems have super majority in both houses, they can truly go nuclear by putting more judges in. There’s nothing in the Constitution saying you can only have 9 judges in SC.

Again, I would like to see how you would behave if someone accused you of something that you vehemently denied ever happening. Obviously some of these have holes or retractions now, but let’s look at his actual WORK RECORD shall we (borrowed from website):

President Donald J. Trump

EXCEPTIONALLY QUALIFIED: Judge Kavanaugh’s extensive experience and credentials make him one of the most exceptionally qualified Supreme Court nominees in history.

• On the night of his nomination, USA Today reported that “[o]n paper … Kavanaugh may be the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in generations.”
  • The American Bar Association unanimously gave him its highest rating: well-qualified.
  • He has served on the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, often called the Nation’s “second highest court,” for more than 12 years.
    • He has written more than 300 opinions and heard more than 2,000 cases.
    • At least 13 of his opinions have been vindicated by the Supreme Court—an unparalleled record of influence and success across the ideological spectrum.
  • He is a co-author of a leading book on judicial precedent and has published nine articles in respected academic law journals.
  • He has taught for more than a decade at the Nation’s two top law schools, Yale and Harvard (where he was hired by then-Dean and now-Justice Elena Kagan).
    • The New York Times noted that his teaching evaluations reflect “glowing praise … [m]ore than a few students said he was the most impressive law school professor they had ever encountered.”
  • He clerked for Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, who became a mentor.
  • He has argued before the Supreme Court.
  • He served more than five years in the White House, including as White House Staff Secretary and as Associate White House Counsel.
  • He was a partner at a respected law firm, where he wrote several Supreme Court briefs and also provided pro bono legal services to a range of clients.
  • He is a graduate of Yale College and Yale Law School, where he was an editor on law review.

INDEPENDENT AND IMPARTIAL: Judge Kavanaugh has a clear record as an independent and impartial arbiter of the law.

• He bases his rulings on the law—not politics, policy, or the identities of the litigants.
  • He has ruled both for and against businesses, workers, environmentalists, landowners, civil-rights plaintiffs, political parties, and criminal defendants.
    • He ruled against the Republican National Committee in one campaign-finance case and in favor of Emily’s List (a liberal pro-choice group) in another campaign-finance case.
    • He ruled in favor of a pro se African-American plaintiff who had been called the “n-word” at work, concluding that he had endured a hostile work environment.
    • He has ruled in favor of convicted drug dealers and murderers who were denied fair trials.
    • He has ruled in favor of environmentalist plaintiffs and the Environmental Protection Agency in some cases, and in favor of Western landowners and coal miners in others.
  • He ruled at least 23 times against Bush Administration agencies from 2006 to 2008.
  • His opinions are as likely to be joined in full by his Democrat-appointed colleagues (88.67 percent) as by his Republican-appointed colleagues (88.94 percent).
    • On at least 10 occasions, he has sided with a Democrat-appointed colleague over the dissent of a Republican-appointed colleague.
  • Chief United States Circuit Judge Garland (appointed by President Clinton and nominated for the Supreme Court by President Obama) has joined Judge Kavanaugh’s majority opinions 96.43 percent of the time.

DEVOTED TO PRECEDENT: Judge Kavanaugh’s work demonstrates a strong devotion to precedent and stability in the law.

• He co-wrote a leading book on judicial precedent with 10 other judges.
    • The book explains that precedent is critical to stability in the law and “allows individuals to plan their affairs and to safely judge their legal rights.”
  • He has written that it is “essential for courts to be as consistent as we possibly can.”
  • His decisions have invoked stare decisis (the need to follow precedent).
    • In one opinion, he described an earlier decision as “wrongly decided,” but said it was “water over the dam” because he was “bound to apply that precedent.”

MODEL OF CHARACTER: Throughout his career, Judge Kavanaugh has proven to be a model of character, integrity, and public service.

• His mother, a trailblazing prosecutor and trial judge in Maryland, inspired him to pursue a career in law.
  • He has spent 25 of the 28 years of his career in public service.
  • He tutors low-income students, serves meals to the homeless, and is a lector at church.
  • He coaches his daughters’ basketball teams and serves as a mentor to his players.
    • The mother of one player described how Judge Kavanaugh has taken her daughter to the school’s father-daughter dance every year since her husband passed away.
  • He is a leader for gender equality and for supporting women in the workplace.
    • More than half of the law clerks he has hired (25 of 48) are women.
    • He was the first D.C. Circuit Judge ever to hire an all-female class of law clerks.
    • Eighty-four percent of his female law clerks have gone on to clerk at the Supreme Court.
    • In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee, his female law clerks called him “one of the strongest advocates in the federal judiciary for women lawyers” and said the legal profession is “fairer and more equal” because of him.
  • He is a leader in promoting racial equality and advancing minorities in the workplace.
    • He wrote a law review article about ending racial discrimination in jury selection.
    • He regularly visits the Yale and Harvard Black Law Students Association and has taken an active role in helping minority students obtain judicial clerkships.
    • Twenty-seven percent of the law clerks he has hired (13 of 48) are racial/ethnic minorities.
    • More than 10 percent of the law clerks he has hired (5 of 48) are African American—much greater than the percentage of African Americans at top law schools.

Not qualified, huh???

6 Likes