How the Coronavirus will affect Bay Area Housing Market

Wow! New benchmark. SFHs in CU/WSJ/WSV would be revised upwards by 20-30%.

The family that bought the house is not Chinese for sure. 1424???

How come Redfin estimate is adjusted to that sold price already? Redfin cheating?

The Buyer’s Agent is Annie Zhou.

Searching Cupertino zip codes gives me among others 94024 and 95014.

Btw, what is the problem with “1424”?

14 = One die
24 = Easy to die (in Cantonese, Hong Kong), Die from hunger (in Mandarin, China and Taiwan)

5 = Not so 54 means won’t die

1 Like

No chinese family in 94024 and 95014? :slight_smile:

I ignore zip code :slight_smile: Because no choice :slight_smile:

Zip code of Cupertino is no good, 95014, and many houses with 104xx.

34 or 44 meaning?

34 = alive or dead?

44 = stubborn :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking at the sold houses near by - they all sold around 2.5-2.6 in Mar-Apr 2021. But similar houses sold with 2.0-2.1 last year around this time.

1 Like

What sort of classes has CUSD been canceling? The story CUSD is painting is dire - that they are one of the lowest funded District in the nation as well as THE lowest funded in South Bay! Is it really true? If yes, as parents, are you seeing the impact on your local school programs?

from what I heard from my neighbors just about all the electives have been canceled (art, drama, etc). They tin-cupped the parents to get money to keep PE on.

1 Like

Did you end up buying this property? I notice it sold in Dec.

Last time I looked, EPA spends 2x per student was CUSD does. It blows up the whole theory that spending per student is the key to school performance. Everyone knows involved parents are the key, but we can’t say that. It’ll offend and upset people, so we claim funding is the issue.

Likely no. Too much analysis usually leads to no action. IMHO, a simple yield computation is sufficient, that is what I do anyway, not interested in involved analysis… too much guesswork.

1 Like

Some school districts (or even state) does not allow parents to put in money. So, all self financed classes and field trips no more allowed. The belief is that just like SAT scores hurt poor and minority students, Parents funded classes and trips hurt poor and minority? Do they count Asian (Chinese, Indian, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc) communities as minorities? Do not know it is true for CUSD too.

Prices seem to have been flat for 3 years between 2018-21, and suddenly gone up by 20% in past 3-4 months. Post-pandemic and post-election price spike.
Probably will revert to being flat for next 2-3 years to digest the 2021 gains, especially as interest rates gradually rise due to inflation.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sunnyvale/764-Holbrook-Pl-94087/home/780886?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

1 Like

I generally agree with your hypothesis here. And that Sunnyvale home definitely commanded Monte Vista level pricing from 2018-2019.

Yes, I have seen movements in some West Coast cities that paint “Rich” PTAs as the problem that exacerbates inequity. However, when those same “rich” PTA schools get half the funding of high-needs schools, no one bats an eyelid. The system is broken for middle class sending kids to public schools.

More starter (I.e., sub 1500 sq ft) homes in Sunnyvale selling for $2.5M or higher. Wonder who these people are that are willing to pay so much money for so little home?
They are probably putting at least $1M down and yet taking $1.5M in loan. With such means, why are they buying small 50+ year old homes in a quiet, boring suburb???

2 Likes