How Trump has handled the pandemic

If Trump went thru with this we are staring at Great Depression.

The panic hit Tahoe
I think I would rather get covid19 than loose half my stock’s value and my skiing

If you’ve been following the news this weekend European countries are closing borders left and right - Some as small as Denmark which is like a US state closing it’s borders. So maybe this will happen here but if so the rest of the world is beating us to it.
Meanwhile - THIS is the sort of thing slowing down legislation here. Disgusting. And another example of why you can’t believe a word of what’s coming out of the likes of CNN, CBS, ABC or NBC.

2 Likes

It actually makes sense if your goal is containing it or at least slowing the spread. You’re the one arguing this thing is super contagious and deadly. Seattle, bay area, and NYC are hot spots. The less people from those 3 places travel the better. The irony of you saying this is a huge emergency, and we aren’t going enough then being against domestic travel bans is amazing.

I bet if Trump wanted to abolish the second amendment, then you’d suddenly become a gun rights activist.

1 Like

South Korea shows we don’t need domestic lockdowns. We need early and widespread testing, and well targeted quarantine. Hong Kong and Singapore didn’t have city-wide lockdowns either.

There is a choice between using smart precision weapons that minimize collateral damage, versus just carpet bombing the place into complete ruins. You are saying we should just haul the whole country into Great Depression because testing is useless, despite concrete evidence from Korea, HK and SG saying otherwise.

4 Likes

The problem is the virus could be hiding and appear later. Virus test of negative is not 100% assurance that you won’t get sick. If everyone that’s just curious gets tested the healthy will feel better but the sick will be sick and will be worse off because of all the resources wasted on testing the 99.999% who didn’t need a test.
There is no cure. Most will have to self medicate the same as the flu.

We are from the government and we can’t help you.

Maybe this is already buried in here somewhere the stuff about Trump cutting the CDC budget is another lie. It’s been larger - albeit slightly - every year under Trump than it was under Obama.

1 Like

The WH proposal every year including this year has been to cut. The house blocked it and reinstated cuts. What they couldn’t block was elimination of the pandemic response team last year.

E.g. this year as recently as three days ago they were holding firm on cuts

I know conservatives don’t like data and prefer feelings, but a simple google search would have shown you the above

2 Likes

From your link (did you read it?) -
"Vought responded by saying Trump signed into law the $8.3 billion emergency supplemental package Congress approved last week.

That funding, a significant increase over the $2.5 billion emergency request the White House sent over, would be spread out over several years."

In government speak, a budget cut is usually a reduction in the size of budget increase. It’s not a true reduction in yr/yr budget.

No deflection. Extra monies have already been allocated.
And can you point to a specific task this “Global Pandemic Respose Team” would have carried out which would not have been duplicative and would have materially affected outcomes?

The job of the team would have been to avoid our shitshow of a response despite have months to prepare. This was an organization that was praised across the world. It would have prevented things like the below which put us in a worse spot:

We had time, we wasted it.
And every time Trump had an option to do the right thing, he took the step on what made him look better or made him richer (e.g. the Travel ban that excluded regions with his properties in them).

A proper organization that didn’t cower in fear of him could have saved lives and made us more secure

“ When Ebola broke out in West Africa in 2014, President Barack Obama recognized that responding to the outbreak overseas, while also protecting Americans at home, involved multiple U.S. government departments and agencies, none of which were speaking to one another. Basically, the U.S. pandemic infrastructure was an enormous orchestra full of talented, egotistical players, each jockeying for solos and fame, refusing to rehearse, and demanding higher salaries—all without a conductor. To bring order and harmony to the chaos, rein in the agency egos, and create a coherent multiagency response overseas and on the homefront, Obama anointed a former vice presidential staffer, Ronald Klain, as a sort of “epidemic czar” inside the White House, clearly stipulated the roles and budgets of various agencies, and placed incident commanders in charge in each Ebola-hit country and inside the United States. The orchestra may have still had its off-key instruments, but it played the same tune.”

Ah yes, it’s the old classic. None of the existing government agencies are effective, and they don’t communicate. There’s a ton of redundancy across them. Let’s add another one, so people think we did something and feel safer.

We should be eliminating agencies left and right, merging them together, and downsizing what’s left into things that can be managed and effective.

1 Like

WH doctor has no credibility (same guy that said testing was not needed). Trump looked ill during the press conference and didn’t even stick around for the whole thing. If he disappears in the next week or two we’ll know for sure.

1 Like

And yet we’re right where just about every other developed country is with this. And those travel bans? They’re going up all over Europe as of this weekend. Poland, Denmark and others have almost completely sealed their borders. Trump was ahead of the curve on this.
The only people who think the response was a “shitshow” are folks like those at the Merc who have hated the guy from the start. No one outside the those ares that are the nexus of Trump hatred believes it.

1 Like

Isn’t that what the current admin did (after the fact)? However, instead of having professionals head a centralized response, they had political people with Pence leading up a central team. So people with no background, who had not envisioned and simulated the scenario multiple times, are flying blind and cooking up stuff on the fly

Klain is a lawyer not a medical professional. Were you ranting over and over about how incompetent Obama is and how he put a non-medical person in charge?

I still fail to see how the thought process is:

1. We have ineffective government agencies
  2. We have redundant government agencies that don’t communicate
  3. Let’s solve those problems by adding another government agency
1 Like

Trump screwed this up. Pretty unbelievable to claim he has handled this well…

1 Like

I voted for Trump in 2016; up til the outbreak he had a great chance for a second term but I think the Corona will cost him the election. He inaccurately underestimated the impact like the rest of Europe and many forum members as we can all see. However I don’t think Obama would have handled it well either. Basically the West screwed up from the beginning for taking this lightly.

1 Like