Impact of election on market

Personal rates were also cut and total tax revenue was higher. Despite all the hype and talking about corporate taxes, they have never been a meaningful percent of revenue.

This is a normal debate so it probably doesn’t matter to the race. FWIW Pence was deemed the winner in the 2016 debate against Kaine.

In CA we have reached confiscation at least marginally

2 Likes

Do you not realize how it works? Regulations and taxes are all costs to a business. A business passes costs onto customers in its prices. He may not consider it on whether or not to start a business, but I guarantee it’s a factor in pricing. It’s also a factor in what return he expects as an investor.

1 Like

Surprised at that result. I thought they both did quite well. I certainly wouldn’t have voted Kamala that much higher. They both avoided questions, both went over time, but also both gave some good answers, some good (but politically appropriate) attacking, and some good rebuttals. They both behaved themselves pretty well. I’d have given it 50-50.

And most of all, they both evaded the question of whether they’d discussed their grandpa running mates demise with them…

So that poll doesn’t add up–did the fly get the other 3%? :slight_smile:

Fed - 25-28%
CA - 10-13%
SS - 6.2% unless you’re self-employed 12.4%
Medicare -4%
SSI/SDi - Can’t even remember… 1%?

It all really adds up. So if you’re a second-income–if you ask whether you, as a SAHM, should go back to work, it’s pretty brutal at maybe 52% and self-employed possibly 58% (and no vacation, no benefits)

As a business owner myself I suspect I kinda know how it works.

Flies can sniff out the losers.

I spoke to a lady yesterday who is going to vote trump. The reason she told me are following:

  1. Trump will cut H1B (she herself took this route: F1-H1-GC-USC). She was worried about her children facing unwanted competition from OPT,H1B,F1 etc.
  2. California cannot even keep forests clean (which is doing simple things like raking floors or cutting deadwood).

She did not delve into complicated topic like regulation and deficits.

The corporate income which wasn’t taxed went out as dividends - which were taxed. As those dividends were spent the money was taxed again. And again. This is why revenues rose despite the take from corporate taxes falling.

1 Like

Another thought after last night’s show: Pence projected him pretty well for 2024. Kamala seemed answering on behalf of Joe. Like “Joe will not ban fracking”. Probably she would.

1 Like

AFAIK, dividends are paid out of after-tax earnings. So is double taxation. Typo? because what you said subsequently sound like you are saying double taxation.

I’m merely pointed out that cutting corporate tax rates doesn’t result in lost revenues. It only shifts the revenue sources. This is why even socialist countries don’t have corporate taxes much in excess of what we have now.

At this point, the election is basically over unless Trump can swing some massive dismissal of mail in votes.

Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are too far out of reach for him.

1 Like

The left doesn’t even know what fracking is. But they are against anything to do with fossil fuels. Of course the won’t stop driving or heating their homes. Evil stupid hypocrites. They are now banning natural gas in new construction. Ridiculous

Honestly, having read about what fracking does to the land and water, I am all for banning fracking. Would rather see if we can get gas in other ways.

But I think Pence articulated very well that progress can be made gradually through free market and incentives rather than taking a wrench to everyone’s power supply and just mericilessly shutting it off. I felt like he articulated himself well there.

1 Like

Agreed. And if you looked at it from the lens of “which VP do I want to vote into office when the President dies”, Kamala came off as weak and inexperienced. That’s the lens through which I watched this debate. I don’t see her as president.

At this point, fracking will lose out to renewables and battery storage based on cost alone.

But one cannot ignore the obvious negative externalities associated with fracking. If you attempt to price this in even partially (which is economically logical thing to do) then dependence will be reduced in more quickly.

So yeah, no need to ban fracking directly.

1 Like

Women don’t seem to like Pence. Last night could be a dressed rehearsal of presidential debate in 2024.