Implications of Biden's Infrastructure Plan on EV and Clean Energy

I don’t think either of those are focusing on automotive applications.

1 Like

…and how much of the earth would have to be dug up and destroyed with all the materials mining to make all those panels and windmills and all the land covered by them? Then there’s the disposal cost of all that stuff when it reaches the end of its usable life.
If any of this were actually true one would expect that California, which has some of the toughest renewable energy regulations in the nation, would also have some of the cheapest and most reliable energy.

3 Likes

Your point would be more interesting if the alternative wasn’t already destroying the earth and “disposed of” into our lungs.

2 Likes

Um, that’s a bit dated. We’ve come a long way from acid rain being a thing. There’s a reason environmentalists focus on CO2 emissions. The others are now very low.

1 Like

Particulate matter from ICE cars is greater than EVs.

Also, suffice to say you wouldn’t want to sleep in your garage with the engine on.

Actually, you can’t kill yourself that way. A Ford exec tried with an expedition, and it didn’t even work. That was 20 years ago, and cars have lower emissions now. They were hitting the limits of the test measurement equipment. Tires are a HUGE emitter of hydrocarbons. The new car smell is mostly hydrocarbon emissions.

1 Like

EV Giant Dives As Buffett Trims Stake

Why did WB sell into outstanding results of BYD?

2 Likes

ICE cars will be around a lot longer than what uber EV investors think.

Oil will be to the moon.

there is plenty of lithium, but it takes 10 years to start a new mine to volume production so the ramp is limited. This is why EVs will be heavy demand (supply limited) for many years.

Bullish for you-know-who

Doesn’t that mean there’s a limit to their manufacturing capacity for the next 10 years? What’s the peak that’s possible without new mines?

Whatever happen, is always bullish for you-know-who?

There are many factors indicating the rapid adoption of EV is not possible. I can’t remember who claim that ICE to full EV system can be done within 10 years… making me laugh immediately.
Lithium shortages, insufficient charging stations, limited grid capacity, etc.

1 Like

Just take it one item at a time.

For this item, you have to be aware firstly that demand for EVs have risen rapidly. Polls show 2x or 3x interest in 2 years.

Demand is rising faster than supply.

Therefore, average sale prices must increase (happened)

If demand continues to outpace supply, high margins are basically guaranteed.

So of course it’s good news for Tesla, as long as they can ramp volume.

In addition, EV rebate will buoy more demand for EVs.

In addition, $45 / kWh per made in U.S. battery cell and $10 / kWh per made in U.S. battery pack credits go to company. Guess which company is ramping and making the most cells and battery packs in the U.S.? That is an insane discount for Tesla. They will be about to save an additional $4000 per vehicle that goes to profit.

Per 500k vehicles sold in the U.S. that is about 2 billion dollars in extra profit.

There is no way the IRA can last as is until 2030, it literally might make Tesla bankrupt the country. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Prices for lithium in China are approaching their highest ever, in a sign that the global shortage of the material used in lithium-ion batteries isn’t easing. Lithium carbonate is selling at almost 500,000 yuan ($72,090) a ton, according to data from Asian Metal Inc. China’s government last week said it’s planning to set up a monitoring mechanism aimed to stabilizing prices for raw materials including lithium and rare earths.

If Lithium becomes expensive, many electronic devices and appliances will become expensive.

The Race for US Lithium Hinges on a Fight Over a Nevada Mine

As the price of the metal — a critical battery component — soars, tribal members, ranchers and activists in Nevada want to block a mine some see as an “environmental nightmare.”

1 Like

This was posted on another board. Retired CA cop moved to ID. Infrastructure and clean energy all rolled into one.

…My daughter is in Southern California working as a nurse. Yesterday they saw 114 f. And the power was shut off by the State for 4 hours. That’s OK, the Hospital has a generator. But it CAN’T RUN THE A.C. ! Lights, computers, bone saws and tools but no A.C. She spent 4 hours mopping up sweat from the patients.
…Today she’s off, but no power until midnight. She’s sweltering.
…California calls this Flex Alert. Not a hint that it’s really rolling blackouts. Tomorrow is expected to be hotter. Who said they wanted a place in the sun ?