Indices & ETFs

I think we might be headed for SPY 380-400 range by year end or more. My thoughts:

• energy, reit, transportation, banks, etc all recovering from vaccine news (holding stable)
  • covid still raging which means tech stocks (especially consumer tech commerce) likely rally with usual holiday season pump
  • trump may not be conceding the race but by mid dec when electoral college votes, it’s over
  • still a potential for small stimulus which may jolt the market even higher

Unless there’s a shock, it’s going higher imo. We’ll need a pullback soon though for usual dip and pump scenario.

3 Likes

I see buying spree on these dividend players. Lot of them at throw away price.

We’ll need a pullback soon though for usual dip and pump scenario.=> Likely around Dec 15th (guessing).

I will focus on QQQ/ TQQQ :slight_smile: for trading and accumulating cloud stocks for buy n hold. Too many counters to monitor if go into energy, reit, transportation, cruise ships, financials, … FOCUS :slight_smile:

Btw, I don’t monitor S&P at all. Just check chart to see what @Jil is doing.

Tech stocks are flying, don’t see any reasons to mess around other sectors.

I’m of opinion that cyclicals (energy, transportation, finance, material, etc) will outperform tech in 2021. I think every quarterly “improved guidance” will be cheered by the wallstreet even if it’s not to the 2019 level for example. For now, I’m going to swing trade tech very aggressively when I see an opportunity.

• accumulate, buy dip and hold cyclicals
  • swing trade tech with options and/or leverage ETF
3 Likes

Right! This is like buying real estate during 2008-2012 !

Any good company went down by covid-19 issue will come back during recovery (unless bankrupted). Most of the good companies are in cyclicals (energy, transportation, finance, material, etc) , where good dividends are getting paid.

Take the case CUK, it was down to $11 (even less) and I saw 18% dividend paid, or XOM (8.29% dividend). I bought actually 3000 CUKs at $11, and as usual sold 2000 shares at $15 (which is wrong - I always do such nonsense !). AMC (non-dividend) bought 2000 shares, luckily it went up…All are at through away price. I bought thousands of Many good REITs less than $10 whichever is above dividend yield. Only thing is t read fundamentals and ensure they do not file bankruptcy.

Today when S&P is down, these dividend payers/cyclicals are positive and jump crazy.

You buy them now, hold long. When Covid vaccine is place, all travel, entertainment, shops (reits) will come back. Travel airlines, ships, railroad and road traffics come back, energy sectors will be fine.

Market is in buying spree with Covid medicine coming soon. Those two companies BNTX and MRNA are skyrocketing as they will get good (various countries, state) government orders. Uber and Lyft will swing back to top.

Too risky to jump into XLE now. Potential exhaustion gap. Ofc, could be continuation gap. We’ll know next week.

I don’t need dividends, have plenty :wink:

1 Like

I put a chunk of money into equal weight (RSP) in March as, historically, that crashes harder and recovers harder. For a while it seemed a mistake as only a handful of large caps rallied but lately it looks like it was a good play.

1 Like

yeahhhhhh with AAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLL ! No match !!

I’m bearish long-term on energy. It seems that by 2030 most/all new vehicles will be electric. That means we’re going to hit a structural decline in the need for oil. Natural gas is getting banned places, and more and more electrical power is from clean sources.

1 Like

Me2. Kept CVX but unloaded the rest long ago at re-bounce (aka not good price). Now need to unload CVX once it is green. Was very green :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

While some bloggers still on post-election, I am struggling whether to sell or hold TQQQs!

Another “common knowledge” prediction which won’t come to pass. The physics of running an industrialized society on renewable-generated electricity just doesn’t pencil.
And where is natural gas getting banned - other than outliers like Berkeley?

I don’t see oil and natural gas demand going to zero, but I don’t see how it doesn’t decline.

3 Likes

If you see peak demand of 2019 and next peak demand (after covid), there may be decline, but with current standards the consumption will increase until pre-covid normalcy comes back.

By around 2025, most of the car mfr start selling EV cars, but we have airlines, ship traffic and entertainment industry comes back, lot of travel will be there. At least next 2-5 years I see growth from current level by airlines, chemical industry (polymers and oil byproducts), shipments increase. This increase continues until next recession.

1 Like

Without a breakthrough in charging time EV’s just aren’t practical as a sole source of personal transport. Up to an hour to fuel up at a supercharger and 10 hours for a full charge at home - and that’s with 220. With all the hoopla around Tesla there’s still 168 busy gas stations for every one lonely Tesla charger.
As for the rest of it - we need a breakthrough like this -

3 Likes

When Costco makes charging stations available, we know is EV time, time to buy an EV :slight_smile:

EVs are hyped by liberal progressives that have no knowledge of physics. Gas and oil will be needed for the next fifty years. After that we on this forum will all be dead. Wind and solar need battery storage is mega amounts that are impossible today

1 Like

I live the dream right now. Both cars are EVs and it works great even during COVID. Many employers will put chargers in their parking lots. You won’t need to replace gas stations one to one. We aren’t trying to replace the old model. We are introducing an entirely new one.

Charging is getting faster and faster. We’ve road tripped to SoCal and to Tahoe multiple times with no problem. And they make our lives easier. No stops at the gas station. Cars are almost always charged. No oil changes. No smog checks. Use the carpool lane.

The other big thing people forget is that EVs are mechanically far simpler than an ICE. There is less service and I believe they will last way longer.

I will never buy an ICE car again. It is a disruptive technology that is so much better than the past.

2 Likes

When every gas station has an “electric island” where EV’s go and get charged in 10 minutes or so THEN will be the time to buy EV. I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

In my neighborhood, I see every home has EV car, in some cases they have two EV cars(that too tesla)!

From SFO to LA through 101 hwy, throughout the cities, big malls and outlet stores are having multiple stations (4-10 stations) of high-power EV chargers.

Plug-share app is giving locations, availability and reliability of the charging stations near real time.

We were able to go to Los Angeles with one stop at 45 minutes time to charge. Even with gas powered car, we stop one time between SF and LA for 30 minutes.

I saw lot of Teslas on my both ways either 101 hwy or I-5 hwy. EV cars have become practical. TSLA is going non-stop to $600 by this acknowledgement by market forces.

Gas powered cars are becoming obsolete soon.

2 Likes

Just in 2-3 years, you will see this change. It is hard to comply gas standards and easy to maintain high-voltage EV Stations.