Insurance Carriers Fleeing Cali

OK. Hurricanes are not getting more frequent. But they are getting more intense and thus doing more damage. It feels like they are getting more frequent.

From NASA:

Due to global warming, global climate models predict hurricanes will likely cause more intense rainfall and have an increased coastal flood risk due to higher storm surge caused by rising seas. Additionally, the global frequency of storms may decrease or remain unchanged, but hurricanes that form are more likely to become intense.

That chart shows major as well as all hurricane strikes. For the last three decades listed we were below the average for major ones as well as total ones.
The argument for more powerful ones is based on MODELING.

2 Likes

For climate change deniers, you can use your belief to your advantage. People may be wary to buy in those high climate risk areas and you can get those houses at a discount.

Yes both Redfin and blackknight buy data from below company

Already did. Living the dream. Sure hasnā€™t caused prices to drop though.

Lol. Amazing.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4068383-insurers-pull-back-as-us-climate-catastrophes-intensify/

The insurance industry is increasingly wary of the risks presented by climate and natural disasters, prompting major firms to scale back their presence in more vulnerable states.

In June, Farmers Insurance announced in a company memo it will no longer write new property insurance policies in Florida, citing ā€œcatastrophe costs ā€¦ at historically high levels.ā€ Earlier in the month, AIG stopped issuing policies along the Sunshine Stateā€™s hurricane-vulnerable coastline.

ā€œThis isnā€™t just a story about Florida and California ā€” all over the country, there are insurers who are less willing to take risks,ā€ from those along major rivers to areas vulnerable to tornadoes, said Benjamin Keys, an assistant professor of real estate at the University of Pennsylvaniaā€™s Wharton School.

I want to see an analysis of how much of it is more damage vs. sky rocketing construction costs driving up the cost claims. They implemented a lot of new building codes to reduce hurricane damage.

Iā€™m a little over $1000 but well under the national average and per that risk calculator I linked to Iā€™m in one of the most extreme risk areas possible by just about every measure.

:wave:t3:

:wave:t3: :wave:t3:

This sucks. Itā€™s going to hit me. Need to start looking.

1 Like

They sent you a non-renewal?

I have Everything with Safeco but so far no news.

Yeah, the one time I got into a tenant legal mess, Safeco helped me out. Bye, bye Safeco!!!

Not yet, I need to check when is my next renewal time.

I had a fire at a rental last year and Safeco paid for my remodel. I donā€™t know whether that contributed to their decision or not. :slight_smile:

An attached PUD project down here in SoCal lost their master policy of insurance recently. Whenever a unit sale is put into escrow, the first quotes buyers find are through the California Fair Plan. ($$$$$ for low coverage). One buyer this week was able to get an H-03 policy from Mercury Insurance, a company still doing business in the area. Donā€™t know if they are active on the SF area, but may want to check with them if there are few other choices available.

I see. Youā€™re just being pro-active. Here I am just twiddling my thumbs. This why youā€™re a pro and Iā€™m joe-nobody!