International News and Events - economic cooperation and competition

Bad image and truth are two different things. Even if Modi is authoritarian, he is authoritarian only on what he can control. Information is not under his control. The maximum deaths are occurring in states that are under the control of people who oppose Modi. Think of it like Federal govt and govt of Florida in USA. The statistics is generated at local level. There is a limit on how much can over or under-reported before the number itself becoming suspect. CNN claims under-reporting by 30 times. Why stop at 30 times. One should come forward and say under reporting by 100 times.

Anyway, how can one believe CNN, Facebook, and Twitter to tell the truth about India, when they are not honest to American people and their own country?

You can pick and choose and create a montage of what ever you want to say.

I am just trying to understand how the montage of short videos above proves or disproves the claims of over-reporting or under-reporting of infections and death due to covid. Please help me understand if it does prove the number that is presented by JHU (Johns Hopkins University) is right or wrong. The JHU puts the infection and fatality at a rate in India at 1% fatality that is even lesser than that of the USA (1.7%).

As it stands today, the official data show a smaller ratio of death and fatality in India.

Reporting by the likes of CNN and or other outlets notwithstanding, the sentimentalization of news is not data gathering and hard statistics.

one way it’s under reported is, if someone got covid and didn’t get admitted to overcrowded hospital and he/she dies then it’s not reported.

1 Like

On the contrary, the arguments is made that the crisis is man made and over-reported. (This is In addition to the one that covid was created in a lab )

In the places where the instance of covid is high, both, Delhi (Ruled by Kerjiwal - a darling of international left) and Mumbai are ruled by the people who hate Mr Modi from their gut. Think of how liberals of California and New York hated Trump, and multiply that hatred by a factor of 10. The problem for the politicians who hate Modi is that they cannot easily remove Modi as the politicians who hated Trump were able to remove Trump by just stealing some votes in a few key states. India is parliamentary, and PM is elected by elected MPs. This has resulted in bad rivalry between politicians on both side of the divide line. This politics has led to creation of crisis (think of how Biden is crating a border crisis when none existed when Trump was President). They disrupted supply of oxygen and essentials etc.
In fact, the high court of Delhi had to intervene and threaten the Delhi government (who hate Modi) to tackle the problem or quit.

Anyway lets come to statistics, Did the fractured politics increase the counts of dead? Possibly. Buy how much? I do not know.
Is there under-reporting? I do not know? Is there an over-reporting, I do not know.
There are lot of unknowns. But, the key question is how far off are the real numbers from the one reported by John Hopkins University which puts fatality in India at 1% and US at 1.7%. Actually, if the cases are over reported, the fatality in India could actually be lower like 0.5% or 0.7%. But, if it is under-reported, will it be as high as US (1.7%) . I do not know whether the US number itself is a true number. And then comes the global average.

I believe that numbers for India may be close to correct. The number of cases are intensely monitored. In India, both the politics and media are highly rivalrous (unlike USA where left controls media) . So, the chances of fake reporting in either direction (over or under) likely tend to cancel out.

If you think Mumbai and Delhi hates Modi more then you need to know Kerala and Tamil Nadu which hates Modi even more. Kerala was the best in overcoming covid and it’s a communist party! Their literacy rate is the highest. Btw Delhi is union territory and most of the power is with Modi. This particular oxygen mishap I have to know more about that to comment. Media is controlled by Modi. Their govt has killed and arrested journalists critical of them. They even ask you to drink cow urine and bathe in Ganges river to cure covid! One of the super spreader covid event called kumbh mela was encouraged by govt. yes we don’t know the exact no’s but I’m pretty sure it’s under reported and should wait more time to see whether it surpasses avg.

You are contradicting yourself. If Modi controls media, then how come the same media claim to be underreporting? One can either be under control or not. Cannot be both.
I think the politics of statistics has goon too far and the statistics has been politically damaged.

The Delhi government has administrative powers like those to run schools and hospitals. Hospitals are run by the local administration. Kejriwal is responsible for running the hospitals.

Regarding Kumbh, People have been congregating even before and after Kumbh. Kumbh itself had no significant effect.

As it stands today, India’s official number as reported by JHU is very small, despite the sensationalization that has gone around it.

in next few months we will know the reality from inflation and economic performance.
All that tough language from EU is not just for US and UK. they dont want directly insult Modi. They bring him to video meeting and than release statements from lower level as if he is some character.

I should have been more clear. I meant to say to good extent. On Delhi, yes Kejriwal has those powers but as I said I haven’t researched about the oxygen mishap yet. On kumbh and election rally, people might be complacent since first variant didn’t attack Indians but govt has intelligence with ample amount of time and should have done better. Now the lock down is announced. In fact Modi and many other politicians wear mask but hug and shake hands!

They cannot insult because Modi is the one who proposed idea of doing away with IPR on vaccines, thus putting the US on back foot. India is a huge donor of homegrown vaccine to many countries across the world.

Take this one for example. India donated to Paraguay when China refused unless Paraguay accepted Taiwan as a part of China. India said to Paraguay go ahead and refuse China. And India gave vaccines to Paraguay. This whole vaccines business was expected to benefit companies like Pfizer and J&J and use foreign countries as testing ground. Pfizer was also demanding lot of immunity from countries and people who took their vaccines.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-04-07/taiwan-says-india-helped-paraguay-get-vaccines-after-china-pressure

Added Later: In a single stroke, actually Modi took away the opportunity for Pfizer and J&J to benefit from this calamity, and thus putting Indian vaccine makers at competitive grounds. Personally, I want the IPR to be respected so that companies and researchers have motivation to invest money on R&D.

It is irrelevant what India donated and too whom. Modi is big let down for European business. Either Modi convert India into German speaking country or join RCEP. (Again European engineering tranferred there). There is no other short term solution.

Vaccine that is developed in English world is no longer acceptable to European standards where quality and long term effectiveness matters.

It is relevant. It impacted the geopolitical scenario and increased the confidence of countries like Taiwan who were left to fend themselves by the USA.

India and EU are working on a Free Trade Agreement.

Its fine. There are other countries that do not care about European Standards.

India has evaluated those options and is charting its own path. It has momentum on its side, and unlike the USA, it is not burdened by worn-out and ineffective institutions. [ To be fair to the USA, India has its own worn out and ineffective institutions that were run [and still do the same] mostly by the kind of people who are running the show in the USA. ]

The issue of Taiwan will be only solved by European Engineering.
how is India going to do free trade deal with EU when there are Chinese/Russian/Turkish components/Software inside EU products and services?.
India cannot chart its own course as the price it too high that India does not even know yet.

The issue of Taiwan will be solved by controlling rise of China as a threat to the region. China will loose about 20-30% of its manufacturing to the other parts of the world due to ongoing decoupling. Without high paying buyers in USA and other rich countries, China will solely be dependent on its internal resources (or less rich countries who will buy from it at less profit to China) to do the kind of bullying it is doing know. Looks like all countries of the world on the same page when it comes to Taiwan.

Just as the free world, got Soviet Union to disintegrate, China will easily fold, or reduce the belligerence if its economic fortune decline.

G7 defended Taiwan much to the chagrin of China.

here your lack of understanding of Europe.
EU make daily statements against Russia and Turkey. It is Europe that is using China/Russia/Turkey in various schemes to create its own higher standard of living and financial dominance for money printing.

do you think this would have happened if real Europe not wanted it?. They carefully use the word EU.

I will agree with the above statement. Not only has Europe, but other western power have exploited China for ages. They still do. And this gives rise to Chinese resentment against west. The problem China faces is that it needs West. But it also has grudge against west. Hard to live with two opposite ideas. A Chinese version of cognitive dissonance?

Russia is OK in dealing with West.
Turkey is a curious case. Still nursing wounds of dissolution of ottoman empire and the lost of Caliphate of the entire Islamic world (1919). It has the same problem as that of China. Turkey too needs west, but see the west as someone who robbed it of past glory.

I am not sure you are even understanding what i am wrote untill this point.
China has no problem with Germanic control Europe. it has invested tremendous amount of money into infrastructure to reach Europe through new railways, new seaports and trade routes.
It will be China that will be supplying raw materials to Europe battery and semiconductor plants.
where do you think all that Lithium/Cobalt/Nickel/Rare earth to Europe for digital and climate transition will come from?. it does not make difference where the origin of mining location.
by doing such huge favours. Europe will not have any problem in smashing India on behalf of Chinese.
Korea and Japan correctly figure this thing out by joining RCEP.

Decoupling from the rest of the developed world is only one problem China is facing. China is expected to loose about 25-30% manufacturing capacity in the process unless it finds a way to pick up the slack from some other market (which could be internal market too). Also, in another generation of so, Africa will emerge as an origin of cheap sourcing. Africa is closer to the Europe and Americas (assuming EU and America will still have appetite and money to consume imports as they did in last 20 years). If experience of Soviet Union is anything to go by, things in China do not look great. Russia did not really pick after disintegration of soviet Union because it did not excel in any technology creation or offered it self as a source of manpower. Will China move up the value chain, or go the Russian way, and become seller of commodities? In other words will Chinese companies emerge as creator of new technologies and innovation unlike Russia which produces nothing that involves technology except arms ?

I am not sure how you developed your thought process.
China is the active member of WEF. headed by Klaus Schwab (German). the Davos crowd. China and Germany are co-leaders of modern globalization that is shaping the world. Africa has no choice but to follow them.
https://cn.weforum.org/about/world-economic-forum
Russia directly adopted Germanic standards after communist past just like China.
how do you think Putin met Schwab in 1992?. the chosen one are selected.

When we had extreme weather in Texas. what happened to energy infrastructure?. when Europe had extreme weather in winter. (Russia simply double energy exports). because Russia adopted that Germanic standards.
how do you think all those Cargo trains in extreme weather goes from China to Europe? because Russia adopted Germanic standards. Wide gauge track can take 2000 tons to 7000 tons per train.
The titanium graph going up as more modern versions of airlines are developed over time. there is Germanic standards behind that development to have colloboration between Europe and Russia.
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2003/06/first-airbus-engineering-centre-opens-in-russia.html
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2013/08/airbus-and-vsmpo-avisma-to-reinforce-partnership.html

India only choice is either Germanic standards or RCEP.

I do not make choices for India or anyone else. I am just saying what I see , and what I read and my analysis of the information available on internet.

Can you tell us more about the Germanic standards you have mentioned several times? What are these ? How are these standards different from the other standards?