International News and Events - economic cooperation and competition

Franco German divide getting sharper. Frexit Coming?

Kind of weird. EU is splitting while Asian nations are united into one RCEP.

@HK2

I think India is too dependent on USA (currently, exporting SWEs and in future, other manufactured products) to be seen doing things USA doesn’t like.

I do not think India has any dream of going out of way to make itself an export oriented economy. Indian exports are mostly the ones that come from spontaneous external demand.

However, France is clearly interested in replacing Britain as India’s gateway to Europe.
France has been supportive of India in the recent times. Also it would appear France is turning rightward on political matters.

Germany however favors China. However, Angela Markels support in Germany have been on decline and she is barely holding on to the power. So, where is Eu headed is anyone’s guess.

Not even near so no point displaying their dream. Need to sort out the internal issues first. I am looking around the corner :slight_smile: far in to the future :slight_smile:

Which internal issues should India first sort out?

I was referring to building strong domestic companies that can cater to the India population. This could take a long time… may be not possible as implied by @HK2.

That is what I meant when I said earlier that India has no dream of becoming an export oriented economy. . India is focused on fixing internal economy than chasing exports. Lot of opportunities exist within India for Indian companies.

i am saying what you are writing does not correspond to reality especially related to Europe.
you can read about Klaus Schwab Great reset book. There is no decoupling rather Germany wants China to control Asia/Middleast/Africa to make place better for German business and thats they thing terrifying Korea/Japan.

I cannot write everything online. but basic premise is Germanic standards can only apply in relatively homogeneous countries, with vertical government system.(creating competence long term) There is free education and vocational training.
Germany deliberately keep all other European countries weak and depended so it can boss around them without much spending on military. thats why Germans create alternative trade and industrial alliances outside.

India can continue making easy money from software backoffice (aka money printing) but i doubt it is practical medium term. Even Elon Musk still hesitant with Tesla factory in India. and we dont know what kind of factory and from where the lithium/cobalt/phospate for batteries will come from.

Can you summarize key takeaway from this book so that we can continue? I will read the book at some point of time.But, not sure when. But a few lines of summary will be good enough just as you summarized the Germanic Standards. I will comment on it later.

India is writing software for domestic market. That is a great thing in its kitty. In that regards, it does have moved up from being a country of code writers to product creators.

And, semiconductor manufacturing is becoming a commodity . Every one (every country) wants to get into semiconductor fabrication. But, India is keeping quiet on it. Probably waiting for semiconductor manufacturing to become even more cheap and then buy the plants at fire sale.

Indian car makers are coming up with their own electric car offering. Those might not be like Tesla, but good enough for Indian consumers. Still Tesla wants to start production in India for whatever is that worth.

Electric Vehicles in India:

They are creating new form of economic system called stake holder. That was before the current events. but this graph give you idea from Germanic perspective. what is missing. They put India with all the challenges like world topping energy demand (why energy demand when no industry relave to RCEP)… while China is investment opportunity. India need to show competence soon before they get further tough.

do you have any link where India has created its own battery supply chain. not just for electric vehicles but all other storage solutions.
Elon is all about hype. he should acquire big land in India to keep stock high by pointing to demand.

I never really bothered too much about EV ecosystem in India. But, it is good to start at some time. India has made good progress in electrifying two-wheelers and three-wheelers. But, not so much with the four-wheelers.

The Indian strategy has been to unpack offerings from the west and repack for the Indian market.
This is what I could find on internet.

Electric Four wheelers available in India as of today:

This link summarizes the thinking of Indian policymakers on this matter:

Some small success stories

And local production of anodes:

Indigenous storage system:

this such small investmentt that practically make no difference. so why even waste manpower and money that wont make difference.
it is same situation with Iphone. most things imported to assemble it and still onle local production. The bottom line is Europe cannot depend on India as factory of the world and India has no railway or Shipyards that can create alternative transport routes to Northern Europe.

There is further investment coming for China-Europe railway. India is practically irrelevant to Europe and will further tightening of climate regulations if it want to access Europe market as Europe will not allow thats its wealth is used to create more climate pollution relative to production that is lower than China.

The Indian iphone plant is to cater Indian market. Not for exporting to Europe, at least in short run. India and Europe have very good sea connections. India’s geo-strategic location is far superior to that of China. India is close to equator and faces open sea at south, and has very strong control over what moves in Indian Ocean from strait of Malacca to Aden. So, India does not need to spend much on laying Railway lines to Europe. That is why (to compensate for its poor location in reference to equator and towards sea route to Africa/Europe) China is buying ports left and right. I feel sorry for Chinese people who fund all these port renting/buying spree of insecure/ambitious China. China has good location on reference to pacific rim, and that is one reason why it could be a good ally to the United States.

If you keep saying this Iphone or that Hyundi or that Samsung panels are for Indian market. than what do you think Europe will think about such country that is basically only can absorb things developed in RCEP countries?
i am not sure why you think India has good location relative to China.
China is located to the north of India. and we all know the northern countries will dominate south.
Railway much faster service for high value goods and is directly connected to hundreds of cities and sea ports of Europe. Those trains that China is building to Europe also used by Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese on both directions.
if you are not part of global manufacturing. than everyone will be gouging you but no one can gouge China to same extent as every country fear China as they dont know when they will need Chinese markets and manufacturing.

I will answer you in parts as I get time between my work to type. My first answer:

Most of the world population lives between 30 degree south and 30 degree north parallels.
India looks straight into Africa (1.2 Billion people) Itself (1.4 billion people) South East Asea, and Europe another 1+ billion people. India’s Geo political location is very strategic.
Northern countries struggle with Nature. Go to north, they barely receive sunlight and freeze half of the year. India is blessed with nature, and that is why so many people can also live just with a few dollars a day. They do not have to worry about heating etc. Why earn when nature is easy on you?

Just a linguistic tidbit The word Earn is probably derived from sanskrit arj (to work/earn), which probably is also the root of English word erg (which is used in ergonomics, or synergy or energy etc)

Most population does not mean power and technology they control. Where do you think Nobel Prize started and who got most of them?. India is water deficient country and The new RCEP Train routes, North Sea (NSR) route. Most airline routes from NorthAmerica goes through North to Asia/Middleast. It is Northern countries that now building Electric cargo trucks. so why will they need polluting diesel ships?
the importance of South is completely diminished in global reset.

North countries people are tough and scientific. Again look at sport competitions.
China is located to North of India. Chinese vaccines trials are done in Middleast/latin America. which are to the South.
have Indian domestic Vaccine trials to the North of India?

India adopted Euro-6 fuel standards. Again creation of North Countries. World scientific base is located in North. and if India want to operate those machines safely. it must adopt those Northern standards.
India switches to world's cleanest petrol, diesel with no increase in prices | HT Auto.