It’s a fact: the Bay Area rental market has softened

After years of painful increases, the cost of renting an apartment in most Bay Area cities has hit a plateau.

In San Francisco, the median cost of a 2-bedroom apartment was $4,550 in mid-December — still an inconceivable sum for most wage earners, yet down 2.5 percent from a year earlier. Likewise, the San Jose median of $2,550 was down 0.7 percent.

The Oakland median of $2,500, however, was up a modest 0.8 percent.

There were a few exceptions to the general trend, especially in a handful of East Bay markets where renters have flocked in search of something affordable. The result: The new competition has driven up rents by 8.1 percent year-over-year in Pleasanton, where the median 2-bedroom was $2,770, and by 6.8 percent in Concord, where the median was $1,900.

The median 2-bedroom unit went for $3,600 in Palo Alto, down 2.0 percent; for $3,440 in Redwood City, down 4.8 percent; for $3,040 in Daly City, up 1.7 percent; for $2,750 in Santa Clara, down 1.1 percent; for $2,390 in Fremont, down 0.5 percent; and for $2,300 in Campbell-Saratoga, down 1.4 percent.

1 Like

I think the income-to-rent ratio is the highest in Sacramento. I often wonder why more people don’t move there. Quality of life is pretty awesome in Sac. It has pretty good diversity there so the food scene should not be a problem. Schools are good in areas like Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville and Granite Bay.

2 Likes

Come on, get real. Sac sucks. If it were actually that great, people would have discovered it eons ago. There is a real reason why Sac home prices are only now going up and it is all due to other areas being too expensive. They aren’t going up on a stand-alone basis…

I asked my niece for Chinese restaurants suggestion in SF and she pointed me to millbrae. Now I wonder if Sac has better Chinese food than SF? :smile:

Again, there are plenty of good places to eat in SF. That is fact. I see plenty of very full restaurants and even waiting lines here. Yes, I would agree that perhaps the standard traditional Chinese cuisine that you prefer may have become more of a dinosaur in the Fab 7x7. We seem to have evolved to places with hot pot, soup noodles, ramen, dumplings and yes chicken wings. All still good.

I find it hard to find a good restaurant in SF. Most Chinese restaurants in Chinatown are not very good. There are a couple of decent ones in Richmond.

Millbrae? Uh…

Ok, since we all like to let numbers speak for themselves here… here are some numbers to chew on…

According to Yelp, here are some Chinatown restaurants with decent ratings with a sufficient rating size to say probably credible:

1. Hunan Home - 1400 reviews - solid 4 stars
  2. R&G Lounge - 3600 reviews - 3.5 stars
  3. Z&Y - 1000 reviews - 3.5 stars
  4. Great Eastern - 1400 reviews - 3.5 stars

And I didn’t even include our Michelin Star winner newcomer, Mister Jiu’s, which has less reviews.

And to level set, Uncle Manch’s fav in San Ho (East Lake) garnered only 400 reviews and is 3.5 stars.

Bottom line: there are plenty of good places to eat real chinese food in SF Chinatown.

It’s a testament to the foodies on this forum that somehow 50% of threads irrespective of topic eventually end up discussing Chinese restaurants :wink:

May I throw in the name of a non-Chinese restaurant from SF that I visited for the first time last week?

Burma Superstar - would you consider it overhyped or a real gem?

2 Likes

I love Burma Superstar and Burma Love.

Try Little Yangon in Daly City if you want more authentic. Not fancy like Burma Superstar, but I like it better and I am Burmese :slight_smile:

Sis-in-law is Burmese. Does not view Burma Superstar as food for Burmese people.

1 Like

I need a filter on Yelp to remove comments from people who drink soda in their Chinese meals. Sorry, I can’t take these people seriously…

1 Like

Sir,

Soda is served at traditional chinese banquets, are they not? Whom are we to say and act differently?:slight_smile:

Most yelpers who spent time to rate SF Chinese restaurants are not Asians. They like simple food that’s almost fast food.

Well, a lot of people are in general moving towards lighter eating, hence the popularity of ramen shops or dumpling places. From what I can tell, a lot of the Yelpers are Asian American and female and they do rate every possible eatery including chinese restaurants. Here is some proof:

https://www.quantcast.com/yelp.com#trafficCard

No wonder my favorite dim sum restaurant is rated so low :grinning:

And they wash down their food with Coke or Sprite. :rage:

Maybe most of the Asian yelpers are 2nd generation or 3rd generation millennials? Their taste might better match the American public.

Yelp is not a good source to rate for food quality at Chinese restaurants. The food can be decent but the restaurant might get dinged for service and then ended up with a 1-2 star review.

1 Like