It’s a fact: the Bay Area rental market has softened

What do you think of Mingalaba in Burlingame? I went there recently and I thought the food was decent…

I have been there only once but my company at that time cannot handle much curry or spicy, so ended up ordering non-authentic dishes. But I heard good thing about that place though.

Sure, but it is not like I hired a bunch of Asian Americans to sit in front of computers to write positive Yelp reviews all day… Why can’t you people just accept the fact that many posters wrote those reviews as they saw it? Is it that hard of a concept to understand??? Sheesh, we are talking about THOUSANDS OF POSTS. So we are going to cherrypick which numbers are more valid now?

Sorry dude. Like @harriet I have had bad luck with Yelp reviews on Chinese restaurants. Me 1st gen people have different tastes from the Sprite-drinking crowd I guess. And don’t get me started on people’s obsession with wait staff service. Where I came from bad service is almost like an honor. You better serve some ass-kicking good food to compensate for your lack of service. Think soup nazi.

No way, the chances again of you having a farce or dud when it comes to thousands of reviews is slim and none. People in general are haters (like you and Ms. Harriet) and you Debbie Downers would love to ding an establishment if the opportunity came up. People are not going to go out of their way to write something is great when it is not. Their reps are on the line. A lot of Yelpers are actually pretty serious about what they write about. Let’s just say I know a lot about Yelp…

Tell me you ain’t working for the evil Yelp!! But dude, people have different tastes. It’s entirely possible my taste is just not the same as the natives here. I am not saying mine is superior. We are just different sorry to say.

Yelp is a client. All I am saying is that too many different people from very different walks of life essentially saying the same thing (and not doing it maliciously or ballot stuffing for the sake of ballot stuffing) has to mean something.

Since you mentioned your heritage and I tasted Burmese food for the first time, a couple of questions:
-Would you consider Burma Superstar’s Samusa Soup authentic cuisine?
-What are good authentic vegetarian options at Little Yangon?

Speaking of Burmese, Burma Cafe in SF is on Amazon’s restaurant list for delivery. I have no idea if it’s any good…

Most yelpers are millennials. .They have taste?..Historical knowledge of food and culture ? Cooking skills? I know I did not at that age…Sorry but not a fan of yelp…

I can’t say anything about Yelp since it is a client of my employer, but here is some general info I found online. I cant guarantee if 100% correct or not…but interesting as to how big the community really is.

Never list a business on yelp. You will be bombarded with email and phone calls from solicitors. It’s insane. Then there’s the whole shakedown if you get a bad review. They are very careful in the wording, but if you pay the bad review goes away.

Come on, that is THE GAME these days with the millennials and everyone looking at the reviews. If you actually intend to not be on Yelp, you are almost shooting your foot before flipping that sign to Open. I don’t doubt the hassles but you gotta play the game (me thinks)…

I think they are better at it now…

My brother used to be bombarded but now he only gets some emails. For most businesses, having a Yelp page is definitely a net positive.

Yelp is a Mafia style protection racket cooked by sleazy millennials. …Easy to post bogus reviews…Too easy for yelp to shake down small business to pay for their services…I hate them almost as much as zillow and trulia

1 Like

How is it really different from Costco if you are lucky enough to get into that “racket” with your goods? I knew someone who has his products selling at Costco (and elsewhere) and I remember him telling me that it is not all peaches and cream. You have to take back ALL returns for any stupid reason and of course they shake you down to your absolutely lowest pricing so that it is truly volume that you are only benefiting from.

The biggest problem with Yelp is that my taste is not like the rando Yelpers writing reviews. I grew up in Hong Kong. It’s like NYC on steroid. Bad service is almost like a badge of honor. So I can’t stand Yelpers obsessing over how fast the waiters bring them water. Grow up man. You go to restaurants to eat food that you can’t cook yourself in a million years. Who cares about water?

1 Like

Ok, then I guess you hate Craigslist too? Def a lot of fraud I agree but surely a great community service site if there ever was one. Nothing is perfect in this world (see Millennium Tower)…

Zillow and Yelp call up businesses looking for money…They want you to pay to be on their site…Costco doesn’t do that. .I know businesses that have gone to war against yelp for posting negative shit…Nothing to stop them from posting negative views to drive a small business out of business. .Sorry, social media has a dark side…And most Pollyanna millennials dont believe it…

I care and I’m a fob. You don’t have pretend to like me but at least do the basic job. Take my order in a reasonable time, get me some tea/water, and come back to check on me or bring the bill. There’s also no excuse for a lack of cleanliness. Don’t get me wrong, I still go if the food is good.

I think most Yelpers are Too generous actually. Too many 5 stars are given.