John Cox could beat Newsom to become governor

I had to vote for her since she does try to bring us money for various projects when she can. She is after all from here. I will give her that…

I think it’s ok not to vote. There are times I don’t feel that I know well enough either candidate and would prefer the rest of the majority decide. I think between Cox and Newsom, I have a clear leaning despite disliking both. I mostly regret that this wasn’t a fight between Travis Allen and Gavin Newsom.

I never leave my vote blank. Feinstein is one of the best elected politicians in California, I am a strong supporter for Feinstein. She accomplished things pragmatically and she does not do superficial silly stuff to get votes.

1 Like

Unfortunately not an issue. Cox has no chance. In fact the the Democratic Party has no democracy. Newsom has been appointed by the powers that be. Voters have no choice. Same for most BA jurisdictions.

One party system will be like that. Not much competition and the establishment controls things forever. We have to accept the reality and choose a better one even if our choices are limited.

I’m not sure I believe that Cox has no chance…

Cox had a chance but he is not a very strong candidate to win democrats in California. If GOP had a charismatic candidate, it could win. Cox needs to be twice as good as Newsom to win.

It doesn’t even feel like an election. Newsom does not care, just hide and wait for his victory.

Cox is behind in the polls 10-15%

Ok. Fine. He doesn’t stand a chance unless the polls are wrong (which is possible).

I agree he’s not a strong candidate.

I wish he was

1 Like

If GOP keeps losing, the capable and ambitious people would change party and run as a democrat. I think this trend will continue.

On the other hand, the left extremists would join DSA and still run as democrat. Those abolishing ICE candidates still run as democrat and their real identity is DSA.

The end result is that republican candidate would run as democrat and DSA candidate also run as democrat.

Unfortunately, Gavin is too strong of a candidate and Cox is not exactly articulate and convincing enough.

Gavin is slick. Let’s hope he rises to the occasion and becomes good at governance

couple of my females friend vote for newsom cuz they say he’s handsome. next time democrat will just start picking hollywood star to run any seat

1 Like

That will happen when frogs grow hair and Trump stops tweeting.

This thread makes me SO glad I moved to AZ. No need to hold my nose and compromise on anything when I vote. What a delight. It was a major reason for moving. With Prop 13 holding down my property taxes and my ability maintain a reasonable net worth while keeping my taxable income low the economic impact was minimal. Although - paid $2.55 for gas last week with some Safeway bonus points ($2.95 otherwise) and my property tax bill is $1100 lower for a house which, by coincidence, I paid the same price for as the CA home I just sold. And electricity is less than half PG&E’s price. But mostly it’s about freedom and about having people in government who actually represent me. My participation in CA’s political process was limited to cutting checks to out of state politicians so they could neuter whoever CA sent to Washington.

1 Like

Did you mean to say that the AZ purchase price is the same as the Prop 13 taxable value of your California house?

In California, you pay much higher property tax than other states on the same priced house in the beginning years after purchase. But after several decades, you could pay less.

So over your lifetime, your total property tax payment on a same priced house in California could be the same as Washington or even Arizona.

If you buy a 700k house in California today, your property tax is $8400.

If you buy a 700k house in Arizona, your property tax might be $4000. So you should have saved $4400.

If you buy a 700k house in Seattle, your property tax should be around $5780. So you can save $2700 in property tax.
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/2411-NE-65th-St-98115/home/308337?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

I paid $275k for a tiny 610 sq ft house in 2012. Property tax was $3700 with all the “special assessments” San Mateo county tacked on. I paid $265k for my AZ home (much nicer of course - 1600 sq ft on half an acre with fantastic views). My property tax is $2600 a year.

Seems your AZ county has higher property tax rate than Phoenix. My 350k house in Phoenix area only has a 1900 property tax bill. My guess is that tax rate for smaller population could be higher since government cost is spread only to a smaller number of owners.

Btw, AZ has no concept of property tax rate. They have a property tax amount, no fixed property tax rate. Property tax amount is based on government budget for schools etc. In AZ, property tax rate is just a mathematical concept, it’s not a regulatory or legal concept.

I think a fixed property tax rate on market price in California makes no sense. Income tax rate makes more sense since gross domestic income does not fluctuate that much. But housing price fluctuate wildly. Fortunately Prop 13 helps to smooth out the wild housing price swings. There are too much misconceptions about California property tax even amoung the highly educated people who never spent their homeownership years elsewhere.

Yeah, Gila county. Not very populated. Also relatively poor although it doesn’t show outwardly. I’m willing to pay a little more for the exclusivity :slight_smile:

1 Like

You paid California tax for many years. By retiring in Arizona, you are given up on California’s social benefit you have paid into :disappointed_relieved: