Mid Peninsula: good place for Primary

What is everyone’s fav place in Peninsula? We’re looking to buy a primary sometime this winter ~ next spring. We work in Mountain View, but don’t really like the weather in South Bay (too hot for us).

We like trees, water, and close proximity for shopping etc. Some places we’ve been to and liked are:

Foster city/Redwood Shores: love the waters, and relatively cheaper prices.

Belmont/San Carlos: trees are gorgeous, but shopping can be meh.

Menlo Park (near 280, Sharon Heights): pretty pricey, but can be had for low 2M. Close to Stanford shopping center and the area is pretty posh.

Any other places? Kids are not in the plans, so dont much care for schools, though sometimes that correlates to desirability. Not always though: I dont like Cupertino even with the schools - the traffic, no street trees, rude people, … :frowning:

I like the area in San Mateo west of El Camino and north of 92. Lots of trees and close proximity to shopping.

2 Likes

Do you mean up on the hills? I think thats near Hillsborough. Very nice indeed. :slight_smile:

I like where my lil sis is, off Farm Hill near 280 in Redwood City hills. She is technically not in Emerald Hills but nevertheless homes there are nice. Around 2M or so max…

1 Like

Burlingame is too far north?

Redwood City near Stafford Park. I don’t know the neighborhood name
but basically near San Carlos and slightly west of El Camino Real. If I didn’t have kids in school I would buy here.

Tad. It’s actually easier to live in SF and take the many available shuttles than having to drive from say San Mateo. I think San Mateo would be the north-most for us.

Thanks. Looking at the map, I initially thought Stafford Park seems to be in the middle of bedroom community. Looking at street view immediately off of the park, the houses are gorgeous…!

You mean between Emerald Hills & Woodside Hills, right? Yeah, that’s a nice area, though I think we like to be closer to El Camino than that. I get scared driving 280 (cars way too fast)…

I think on redfin the neighborhood i’m thinking of is called Wellesley Park. It’s not too far from downtown redwood city, which has gotten quite nice, and also a Whole Foods and Safeway.

Interesting. That area seems pretty pricey, and nice. Thanks! We’ll check it out in one of the weekends. :slight_smile:

Sad. I really liked Foster city but it looks like the bulk of bay views will be blocked in a few years. I wonder if the Lagoons will be kept as is.

The article says how educated the population of FC is. If they are so smart why did they buy there. We toured FC when I was in college in 1974. Our professor pointed out that liquefaction was a huge issue. Now flooding. Seems like good advice has been ignored. Buy in the hills.

3 Likes

I love right where we are. Bad school district in Redwood City bordering Atherton (Selby Lane area). Absolutely beautiful. I can send the kids out walking by themselves and they meet the neighbors walking too. I feel like I live in the tree-lined streets of Atherton, but I’m not paying Atherton prices. Which is why they call it “Natherton” As in “Near Atherton” and “Not Atherton” depending on which side of the line you’re on. :slight_smile:

Shopping seems reasonably close by. Between San Carlos and Palo Alto/Stanford, you can find everything from cheapo furniture to Stanford Mall expensive name stores… Menlo Park fancy coffeeshops and restaurants, Costco, and Trader JOe’s.

3 Likes

The waterfront homes in Foster City are pretty cute. Many have a peddle boat right in front of their houses, presumably you can have a boat ride after dinner? How romantic.

1 Like

Are you a descendent of the 101 heroes in the water margin?

Something like this:

I prefer Shoreview in San Mateo. Can water ski.
Power boats allowed. I used to live in FC water front. Would windsurf . Rented . Houses there have lots of issues. Settling, salt caused rusting of foundation rebar.

Oh, that is nice. Too bad my wife has a rule about north of Millbrae only…

I don’t think it’s up on the hills. I’m referring to the area around Aragon High School and Borel Middle School.

I don’t like Emerald Hills. Feels like you are living deep in the jungle.