Mid Peninsula: good place for Primary

What??? You don’t like being my neighbor?

It’s more like the old-timers don’t want anything to change.

The locals are trying to turn it into a historic district

Yes, there is idea to do so, but highly unlikely (after meetimg with councilor)

Now locals (on King st) against bungalow.com One house sold to investor and got converted to “God knows what” without permits. (See nexrdoor) Ppl complained to councilor and neighbors got partial relive from potential 7 new tenants… only partial relive

Man, I babysat my mom tonight at my sister’s place and had a burrito from Sancho’s in Emerald Hills. Man, that was a good burrito and the area is sweet. I was talking to a family friend who owns a huge lot further down and she said it is nice but when winter hits you have to worry about mudslides.

1 Like

I never saw any mudslides. Emerald Hills is all rocky slopes. No mudslides
I built a house five doors from Sancho’s. I love Speedaria pizza. BTW that shopping center is in RWC not Emerald Hills. The RWC border is very ill defined

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I have a feeling those neighbors will keep trying. so anyone buying there should renovate asap or know that they might not be able to expand upwards/forwards.

I’ve stopped reading Nextdoor. i should stop reading the RWC FB page too. A lot of complaining and a waste of time to get embroiled in it. :frowning:

Last year on Edgewood rd (across from Cordilleras mental ) happened slide. Not huge but enough to close Edgewood for a day

1 Like

I see, so as you leave Sancho’s and head up the hill some, is that Emerald Hills? I came to one street that had like a stone entrance

Foster City is a lovely. I never had a guest who didnt admired the city while visiting our house. Its a hidden jewel of bay area.

Lagoon are nice. The novelty of moonlit boat rides wears of pretty fast. Same for Kayaking. Foster city allows electric motors . Lots of parks. No place to built anything significant anymore as the last open acreage was taken for the mix housing development. No large shopping centers or malls so no out of the city traffic. City will forever retain its charm of a small city.

Weather is 10-20 degree cooler from South Bay. Its a great plus that is often not taken into factor. Slightly windy in evenings sometimes. Close to airport but not on the air traffic path (just a small part next to 92). Center of bay area with easy access to all parts (read traffic part below too). San Mateo is increasingly catching startups pushed out of SF so proximity to jobs.

Two significant problems though:

Schools: Super overcrowded schools at elementary and middle school level. FC has no high school and city kids go to two different high SM high schools. With the new elementary it would be 4 elementary feeding one already crowded middle school. It would get worse in future.

Traffic: Entering city from north or south during evening is a nightmare. 92 east traffic wraps all the three city entrances with solid 20 mins and longer at any entrance between 4:30 - 6:30 on weekdays.

2 Likes

two more problem:
) foster city is build on landfill.
) searise is a big issue. i heard foster city now requires to buy flood insurance

couple years ago i was looking there as well.

Yes its built on landfill. But its not a significant problem for the major part of the city. The lagoon is man made with regulated water levels. its been settling for >50 years. I dont think bay is coming back to claim the land.

Flood insurance is not needed in the city. Some islands have HOA that covers flood insurance though. The levee height increase project will make city safe from Cat 7 floods. No flood insurance would be required in future.

Its probably the only city in bay area where you can step out of your house, cross the street and stroll next to the bay. No equivalent. With that proximity the hypothetical flooding risk remains. But its lower then a earthquake risk in Fremont or Oakland.

That is not in Emerald Hills. I helped build hundreds of houses in Emerald Hills. Mudslides never an issue

Yes. Redwood City extends about 1000’ past the shopping center on Oak Knoll uphill towards Emerald Lake.

1 Like

Yes, I used to live there. Though the traffic has actually gotten better over the years. With the huge TH complexes in Hillsdale (Bay Meadows), I expected it’d get much worse but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

When we were there, I used to love the cooler weather! Nice cool breeze throughout the city and relatively low traffic within FC and going into San Mateo downtown thru E 3rd ave.

I was following this. Will the new levees cover only the surrounding perimeter around FC? So the homes near the Lagoons are not impacted? I can see why some owners would get mad.

As for traffic, FC needs another entrance from 101. It should be fairly easy to link up the existing entrance on Marine Pkwy & connect that thru VW & Bay Trail.

The levee will be built only on surrounding perimeter around FC. More details can be found here:
https://www.fostercity.org/publicworks/project/levee-protection-planning-and-improvements-project-cip-301-657

3 Likes

Looks like we are going to be neighbors (hope U don’t mind :wink: ). Finally kids got to Roy Cloud. Its progressing slowly, but i know many old folks around who does not want to “give up”…

1 Like

Lagoons are not impacted. They are artificial and the water level is regulated. Just around the perimeter where the city touches the bay and Belmont river.

Still the only suburb city in bay area that is just next to bay.

Tiburon, Belvedere, Mill Valley, Bel Marin Keys, Alameda all have waterfront properties with bay access for boats unlike FC. San Mateo has bay access trails. Power boats allowed in the lagoons.

Marinas dont count.

Foster city residents have opposed Marina for a long time. Only battery operated boats are allowed in lagoons. As I said, a quite little city.

They are not just Marinas. What about Redwood Shores?