Milpitas School District Asks Parents to Help House Teachers

Made national news that’s how.

And it’s shameful to the NON woke.

This is the REAL story.

Teacher shortage is nationwide.

Article said Milpitas teacher with a degree and 30 additional “semester units” salary is $68k. That is low. It doesn’t mention what is the average teacher salary.

I know some cities talk about raising money to build housing for teacher. That is ridiculous. If they have money, just increase the salary. Just imaging the potential overhead and mismanagement if city tries to manage something it doesn’t know.

At least in this case, Milpitas is not trying to get into real estate. But just asking residents to rent
spare rooms to teachers.

If the number of housing units is fixed, raising teachers salary would only allows them to outbid another group of people. What about nurses? Firefighters? Librarians? Social workers?

If total number of housing units is fewer than the number of teachers + nurses + firefighters + librarians etc, no amount of salary raising will house them all. It will just jack up housing prices to the sky.

I agree teachers should be paid more. But more importantly we need to build more housing. Many many more.

1 Like

We also need to build housing for plumbers, janitors, mechanics, technicians, construction workers, customer service officers, helpers, etc.

These guys should be paid more.

Where are all the high property taxes going?

I remember once @marcus335 mentioning that while inflation has generally been @2% in the last 40 years, revenues to the government on account of property tax are much higher in terms of percentage.

Shouldn’t fat cutting on the state government side be part of the agenda?

3 Likes

Remember the principle, “Pay yourself first” ?

The issue is not not enough money. Is incompetence.

2 Likes

I have this question too.

My understanding is that typically state will provide funding to school by # of students. But in Bay Area, many counties/cities collect more property tax than what the state can offer per student, so these cities get to keep the money and can spend more per student. I would think all (or most) cities in Bay Area should be like this, due to the inflated house price and property tax.

In Palo Alto, average teacher salary is 6-figures. I heard different # from different sources. This website shows $125k, not sure where the data comes from.

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/palo-alto-unified-school-district-ca/#teachers

This website shows Milpitas average teachar salary is $98k, which is not bad. I think that news article just picked starting salary, which is lower at $68k.

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/milpitas-unified-school-district-ca/#teachers

2 Likes

You can review local budgets online. From what I remember, the percent of spending going to pensions is increasing. That’s because CALPERS is terribly mismanaged. They pay high fees for sub par returns. It’s also easy to game the system and increase pension payouts.

Imagine how bad it’d be if California actually funded the $100B pension gap. The fact they are using the surplus to create new programs and not funding pensions is insane. If there are a couple of down years for stocks, California is screwed. It’s the taxes in stock gains that created the surplus. Last I checked, 40% of state income taxes are from the top 1%.

3 Likes

Check this for any school district

Right. Everything will be fine by just cutting some imaginary fat in government budget.

By the way, you don’t need to make wild guesses where your property tax dollar goes. It’s right on your property tax bill. On my San Jose one it says about 25% of it goes to the local elementary school alone.

Yes we should. Glad you agree.

2 Likes

These fat cats in government do very well for themselves.

AGREE!

There you go.

We should get a PROP going next year. Market rate Property taxes for non Primary rentals. Also, add special school funding and environmental tax every time a house is bought not to live in but to rent out.

This will have many good outcomes.

• New revenue to fund all the policies
  • Reduced prices for houses where janitors, plumbers, teachers can live and so they can afford them.
  • etc
  • etc

We will have many supporters specifically from the owners who rent out but whose hearts bleed for the less paid!

I am ok so long is based on rent and not the property value.

Might not happen depending who has the pricing power. Landlords can raise rent to compensate for the higher property tax.

1 Like

Raise the input price of all rentals and therefore the output price, the rent, will also rise. Simple logic that some find hard to grasp.

Renters are usually poorer than home owners. Therefore that’s just another attempt to grab more money from the poor.

Meanwhile they will object to the one simple solution that works: just build more housing. Because their property value may get impacted. More for me, less for you.

I probably won’t support such a Prop. I have no faith in the government using the money wisely.
And as @hanera says if such a thing were to pass, rents will go up accordingly.

I’ve been voting no for all school cost increases. I’d rather fund the school directly and have been for needs they have. I’d do the same (fund directly) if we need to support other critical govt functions.

Renting out is a business. Houses which are rented out should pay what other businesses pay and should be regulated similarly in terms of environment, taxes etc. This is specific to every state and here since we’re in California houses being rented out should be treated similarly to other small business in CA.

Personally I believe in low taxation and agree small and effective government should be the goal and believe that govt is a big money making and money wasting monopoly.

Some people think more money will solve everything. Problem is government’s thirst for more money never ends.

Bernie I heard has 3 houses. He’s really working hard that guy. :grinning:

Being a landlord is indeed a business. In San Jose landlord has to get a business license and pay business tax. Same with Oakland. SJ is a flat tax but Oakland taxes at a certain percentage of revenue, not net income mind you. I sold my Oakland rental partly because of all these bureaucratic nonsense. The city doesn’t even allow landlords to do background checks anymore.

Last I heard both towns still have a huge housing shortage problem. More regulation and taxing landlords more will make the problem worse, not better.