Milpitas School District Asks Parents to Help House Teachers

There are hundreds of thousands of Bay Are workers who can’t afford to live in the same city where their current employment is located. And, people change jobs frequently which means they often change employment location.

This has been the case for longer than I’ve lived in the SF Bay Area. From 1957 to today.

These people commute. Yes, it can suck but, it is what it is.

I worked all over the Bay Area for my entire working career. Literally. I lived in Concord for a couple of years, where I had grown up. Then, Antioch for more than 30 years. Commute was a fact of life. SF, Oakland, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, Benicia, Vacaville. I would have liked to have moved closer to work but, just couldn’t afford to. And, because I knew that with job changes come location changes, was hesitant anyway.

So, why the special dispensation for teachers?

Um, how do they “push these people out”?

But, but, but…equality! If the schools were funded directly, how would we have equality?

Well, the laws of supply and demand are immutable. And, this applies to the teaching profession as well as all others.

I mean, isn’t that why the Kardashians can make bank like they do?

Ok so why is demand so high yet salary not on par in FL? They even have to go to the extent of bringing military veterans with no degree!

Not sure why you think we have equality in education now.

Funding per student in Milpitas:

Funding per student in Palo Alto:

More than 2X that of Milpitas.

Sarcasm manch. Sarcasm.

That’s the argument trotted out when it is proposed that local funding of schools be the prime source.

In the meantime, the main source of funding for education in California is the state income tax. To be distributed “equitably” to the educational institutions.

Depends on the town. That’s why you see such a wide gap. In rich towns most of their funding comes from local property taxes.

Here’s the breakdown in Palo Alto;

It says 47% on mine…

I don’t think most people realize the number of administrative roles and their salaries. When I lived in Cupertino, a parent wrote the argument against parcel tax for the schools. Over 80% of the money was for more administrators or to boost salaries of existing ones. It wasn’t going to impact classroom size or the classroom experience. The educational system has been hijacked.

When I looked ~8 years ago, EPA had ~2x the funding per student as Monta Vista. The state funds are heavily skewed towards schools with higher need students.