More Colleges Making SAT And ACT Optional

Actually, it doesn’t work well based on the article I posted.

1 Like

Um, from my perspective, it does.

My degree is in electrical/ electronic engineering, and a MBA to boot. I make money by lazing around. So agree that degree are pieces of papers.

1 Like

Two words: Grade Inflation

That’s my whole point and only kids going to schools with lots of AP courses have the opportunity to inflate their GPA. Those are the schools that are either in high income areas or expensive and private. It’s a bigger disadvantage to kids going to normal schools to only use GPA.

You still haven’t answered my question. Why is the University of Chicago doing it then? Your arguments are valid (I am just debating for the sake of debating) but why does this institution need to bend? When you are that good (not saying U of C is that good) your sheet don’t stink, right? Right?

It’s probably a response to the Trump administrations stance of affirmative action. If they include test scores, they won’t be able to get the diversity they want. I’m sure they’ll come up with some way to “equalize” GPA in the name of fairness. Then they can admit whoever they want to hit their diversity goals.

That’s just your inference. Their official line is that SAT scores do not determine future academic performance based on years of “research”.

I’m not so sure. I think there’s been a push to get away from judging people on testing alone since the early 2000’s. The standard based assessment stuff talks about there being multiple ways to decide that a kid knows the material. Stepping away from judging people based on how they test has been going on for a while.

How on earth can they possibly evaluate tens of thousands of kids across the country then? Different states have different curriculum requirements. Kids don’t even take all the same classes. Also, there’s no way a B in English at Monta Vista is the same as a in English at EPA.

I’m sure their next step will be eliminating college grades. That way everyone graduates, and they can achieve their perfect racially and sexually balanced ratios they want. I’m sure if employers realize it’s all BS and stop recruiting there, then they’ll just accuse them of racism to shame them into hiring their graduates.

Yes. That’s just the first step. The end result will be everyone’s wealth nationalized and redistributed equally amongst all (aka communism). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just listened to an extremely poor sales pitch today. Was telling my boss that I should be in sales. What a joke.

we should not leave anybody behind, United States is all about “sharing is caring”.if you’re living in a house you’ll need to house at least one family of undocumented immigrant, provide them with food/shelter/education everything. If they commit any crime, the host family should be responsible and put them in jail because they did not teach them the american way, it’s not their fault, it’s your fault. All school should reserve 20% of enrollment for them for free. we should raise 20% tax to help the people. don’t leave anyone behind. Why do we need SAT/ACT? these exams creates losers, we don’t want that, eliminate them and everyone is a winner

This is why schools monitor how other kids from your high school did. Whether or not you get into a college depends highly on how everyone else who went there from your high school did GPA and graduation-wise. They also develop a relationship with college counsellors at the high schools to understand who the counsellors think should go.

What it means is that unknown/new schools have to work extra hard to make college counsellors understand what they’re about. For example, a number of new schools have opened in the Bay Area–Proof School and Khan Lab School for example. These schools have to make an effort to tell colleges what it is they’re teaching (especially if it involves, say, a lot of college level math), and to invite college counsellors to come visit the campus. Schools like Harker and Nueva already have a reputation with colleges–mostly great I imagine–and the college counsellors are expected to tell the colleges which kids to admit and which not to. As we’ve discussed here already, Harker won’t even allow you to apply to certain schools if they don’t think you’re a good match for them.

So Tiger Moms are right. Go to Paly, go to Harker, you increase your chanches of going to a great college.

2 Likes

Very interesting read. Not really surprising though. Minorities have a harder time with study habits, especially if their parents haven’t been through what they’re going through. Woodside High School has a college readiness class to address these issues just to try to get their first-time-in-your-family college attendees to do better in college.

1 Like