More Colleges Making SAT And ACT Optional

For career advancement, sure. Otherwise they will do ok with just coding alone. My experience is asians have this as a big problem, but they can get by. Most stuff works over email, code and docs anyway. It is not like these people cant talk at all, sometimes they need to repeat couple times until they are ubderstood or find the right way to explain themselves.

My wife as a non native speaker prefers communication thru texts and emails. Allows people with poor speaking skills to succeed even in sales. Besides thanks to texting we now have a whole generation of inarticulate youth:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes, that has been my message the whole time.

Don’t know about others, but I can definitely do well in life with any college degree :sunglasses:

I would love for them to disown me. That way I would no longer have to support them with their luxurious retirement lifestyle :rofl:

I guess you missed the article where affirmative action admissions do more harm than good. They admit people to schools where they aren’t prepared for the difficulty or workload.

It’s the racial harmony and overall societal balance that counts. Those poor souls’ struggles (if any) are the sacrifices for greater social good.

How does making minorities suffer and more likely to dropout help the greater good?

Because minorities will protest and perceive discrimination if no one from their race gets admitted into a particular college.

But why would a venerable, respected institution water down its own admissions policy? I agree, the good ones can be as high barred as they want since they will get their cream of the crop right? Maybe, they actually saw something that says tests alone don’t mean squat.

Philosophy?

Because the tests prevent them from admitting qualified low-income and/or minority candidates. Low-income and certain minorities don’t have the resources to practice the way white/asian/wealthy candidates do, and so they score lower. By accepting the scores, the college puts itself into a position where it can get sued for discriminating based on race. if they ignore the scores and go with grades or other factors that are less cut-and-dry, they can do what they want more easily.

Well, then how come the rest of the colleges/universities aren’t running to reduce their SAT/ACT requirements?

Your college degree can have little to do with whatever happens later in your life. My degree was in chemistry. But I made my money in tech and as an investor. I can recite every single element in the periodic table forwards and backwards. It is good knowledge but hasn’t helped me make a single penny in real life.

2 Likes

They don’t want to reduce the requirements. They want to not be bound by SAT scores at all because the SAT is inherently discriminatory against minorities and low-income students.

If they reduce the requirement, then there are still a group of white-male-middle class students who will say “Why didn’t I get in? My scores are higher than Juan’s over there!”

Hey, I did pretty well on the exams…

Signed,

Juan

Someone says that Harvard is favoring both white and black, not Asian not Hispanic.

Stanford seems to favor Hispanic over black and Asian.

1 Like

This can be applied to pretty much everything. School Grades, sports. How will you assess “Qualified”? By not considering SAT scores?

Every college looks at the applicant profile holistically. Applications are evaluated qualitatively based on overall background of student and other relevant information. I dont see how abolishing requirement for SAT scores help here?

So you think GPA is better when some kids can’t take AP classes and others can take a ton and the school makes an A in AP worth 5.0 in GPA calculations? Who do you think attends high schools with the most AP classes to inflate GPA? At least test scores gives the kids at schools without all the AP classes a shot on equal footing. Especially since the exam is geared towards material covered in regular classes.

Yes, the old throw them a bone, so there aren’t riots in the streets argument. If it works, why should they stop at college admissions? Just threaten to riot anytime they don’t get their way. Minorities are in prison at a higher rate. Maybe they should riot about that until the prisons release people until we reach fair numbers in prison.

I think they are happy with some representation. Minorities are already underrepresented as is. So no need to go to the extremes. The current system works and works well.