More Oakland Press

Again, I will believe it when I see it…

Got this in my email:

The Oakland City Council has scheduled an emergency meeting to extend the Rent Control Ordinance and Tenant Protection Ordinance to duplexes and triplexes where the owner lives in one of the units. If these ordinances pass, those owners will not be able to increase rents to market rate until a tenant voluntarily moves out. If these ordinances pass, a tenant would have all the same rights to our homes as we, the owners. Even if you do not currently live in your duplex or triplex, these changes will adversely affect your property value. Please take action.

https://mailchi.mp/4b7123febf9c/oakland-to-eliminate-the-rent-control-exemption-for-duplexes-triplexes-heres-what-you-can-do?e=8895a8bd9d

1 Like

@caiguycaiguy, are you going to the meeting to protest? Bring a lot of people and be loud!

I got this today:

" In an effort to curb rent increases, the Oakland City council voted today to place a 180-day moratorium limiting the rent increases for 2 & 3 unit owner-occupied buildings to the annual CPI adjustment. Oakland City Council voted today to adopt an Emergency Ordinance to IMMEDIATELY IMPLEMENT:

1. Temporarily remove all exemptions from rent control for owner-occupied duplexes and tri-plexes
  2. Place a moratorium on rent increases above the annual CPI adjustment for owner-occupied duplexes and triplexes

This means these units are now subject to rent control (Rent Adjustment Ordinance) and eviction control (Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance) effective immediately. The bottom line?

• Rent will be controlled for these small properties the same as for huge apartment complexes
  • Evictions will be limited to only 11 reasons
  • Tenants will have rights to treble damages, attorney’s fees and costs…against their landlords who live on the same property

This ends a long history of protecting owner-occupied two and three-unit buildings from rent and eviction control measures."

Tonight at 5:30pm, the City Council will vote on another ordinance that will limit the options of landlords and reduce property values of all units under rent control (including all duplexes and triplexes). The Council is about to eliminate the “substantial rehabilitation” exemption from the rent-control ordinance.

…

https://mailchi.mp/f71b003af665/oakland-to-eliminate-the-rent-control-exemption-for-duplexes-triplexes-heres-what-you-can-do-39641?e=8895a8bd9d

I know this Home Depot well. If you’re a regular homeowner, it’s best you go elsewhere. Besides the homeless camp, it’s always busy with contractors.

I dined at the MacDonald’s a few times. One time there was this guy with a cart full of plumbing parts next to him. Later someone else came in and got a few items off his cart. The I realized those must be stolen parts and they are selling them to HD shoppers.

“We have been asking these questions for a year and not getting answers — so we don’t know if it is a failure to collect, being expended improperly or if the fund(s) are sitting somewhere, but not being tracked,” said Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan.

Lol, people who trust the government to do things will be disappointed.

“ Combined with impact fees for jobs and transportation, Oakland has fees that add up to about $65,000 per unit. San Francisco has fees that add up to more than $165,000 per unit.”

Housing is too expensive, so let’s add more fees. Then we’ll start an investigation into why housing prices are so high.

The investigation will conclude that higher fees are needed.

1 Like

261% over 20 years is equivalent to 5% annualized which is slower than Fortress’s 6-8% :smiley:

Amazing. The judge has to carefully consider.

Do the utilities companies supply to these illegally occupied houses? Do schools accept they live within the school boundary?

1 Like