Next 10x Stock Winner

I’ve been using leverage on the big names too. I think we’re all always looking to see if there’s a better way to do things though. It leads to some really good discussions.

I prefer to buy the smaller ones after a big decline as long as the fundamental business didn’t change. I bought UBNT after the big drop last quarter. It bounced around slightly up or down until this quarter was announced.

2 Likes

OMG, did YELP just go up 18%? Hmm… :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

80B gives stability, but 8B gives growth, I would prefer 8B as it can go 10x faster than 80B company.

1 Like

I have a rejuvenated confidence in YELP now, after today’s earnings analysis. It’s market cap being only 2B, lots of room to grow.

Incidentally, who here has had experience with which his stock holding grew at least 10x?

So far I know 2:

1. hanera, AAPL
  2. myself, TSLA

Please comment if you have…

2 Likes

Dividend stocks - Retirees/ Widows/ Widowers
S&P Index - Just started work or no time nor interest in researching stocks
Mega Cap - Conservative investors, just want to beat S&P Index
Large Cap - Investors who want to double return every 5 years
Small Cap - Aggressive investors who want 10x return over 10 years and the potential to hit 100x eventually
Aggressive investors can also use options on large & mega cap stocks to get similar return as for small cap

Your stock portfolio should allocate funds to all the above categories. How much in which category would depend on your risk profile (which do vary with age), and fund availability. Of course, can be zero allocated for certain category, null is an element too :slight_smile:

From comments, I have a rough idea who are conservative, and who are aggressive.

Btw, volatility of a stock is not risk as we are talking about using cold hard cash to buy the underlying (except for the aggressive guy) and hold for a long time hopefully forever. One blogger commented that it is risky because of volatility. It is risk to the aggressive investors who use leverage such as margin and options, may be future :slight_smile: and triple ETF too.

2 Likes

Sell one of your rental :grinning:

Sell the rental and put everything into small caps? :thinking:

Alternatively, deploy the AAPL dividends, got $50k annually? That should be enough, just buy quarterly.

I think I have deployed enough leverage as is… I needed the rental income and dividend income to pay my bills and cover my margin interests. So no, I don’t think I will do either.

You have lost your flexibility.

Yes, but to be flexible means you have not fully utilized your potential purchasing power. I like to stretch my limits.

The concept of the reserve force has a very precise military meaning. At all levels of battle, commanders are enjoined to hold a force in reserve. Committing all force to the battle, whether it is a squad level engagement of a multi-division or multi-fleet action, is understood to be extraordinarily dangerous. When the reserve is committed, the commanders options contracts. If he faces a sudden threat or opportunity, he has no resources with which to counter or exploit. The doctrine of never fully committing one’s reserve is central to good military practice.

The reserve force may not be fighting, but it is the decisive force on the battle field. Its presence keeps the enemy uncertain of your intentions keeping him off balance. The reserve force can prevent defeat, by plugging the line when it appears to be giving way. It can assure victory by allowing sudden exploitation of weakness in the enemy’s position. If the reserve is never committed to battle, its very existence can shape the battlefield and determine the outcome. The proper management of the reserve force is one of the essential characteristics of command.

Are you hinting that I don’t have any reserve left? I do have my reserves… :slight_smile: So if the stock market dropped 50% tomorrow, my portfolio is not going to blow up in my face.

Now, whether or not I want to commit any of these reserves to buying these small cap stocks is the real question…

1 Like

Price hardly change despite beat, priced to perfection already :slight_smile:
More importantly, why do you think it can return 10x over 10 years or you are pointing it out as a trading candidate?

Can DPZ be as big as Macdonald?

why do you think it can return 10x over 10 years
This question is reserved for Warren Buffet or hanera or wuqijun, but not to me :sweat_smile:

In next 10 years, one economic crash will occur - hopefully everyone will agree this point. I do not have any visibility which stock will go up in next 10 years. The moment economy crashes, say 20% or more, I do not know which one will survive.

All the stocks I listed here are good to hold as long as economy is doing good or bullish, i.e. people will be spending on smart phones, TVs (stock OLED) and Pizzas (DPZ).

OLED is supplier to Apple & Other smart phone partners. With revenue growing in Apple, Samsung and Google, OLED continue to grow.

DPZ is growing with taste+Population and continuously growing with economy since last crash in 2008. Recently, it crashed good on results, except some Euro region issues. The 17% crash was overact by investors (Market inefficiency/panic) as I see there is no issue for their revenue and profit margin. I will easily have 10% appreciation within a month and this is my Margin of safety. This time, I am going to hold until next downturn (if I know that ahead - doubtful) as I can get some dividends at 1% range. This has potential to grow at least 2x in one or two years which is more than what I expect 10%/year.

Regarding CRUS, I did not do any research, the results good (yesterday), but stock down 7%. May be watch this for possible bottom to pick up.

I’ll not sure about that… none might occur; also several crashes might occur. There’s no way of telling.

OMG, did YELP just go up 27.5%??? Hmm… :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

[quote=“Jil, post:197, topic:2789”]
Regarding CRUS, I did not do any research, the results good (yesterday), but stock down 7%. May be watch this for possible bottom to pick up.
[/quote]In general, component suppliers are not very good stocks to hold long term. Most of them doesn’t know or can’t re-invent themselves after their technology is no longer hot which according to you is about 5-7 years. Worse, if they are only dependent on a few strong buyers. In any case, not sure why you think technology trend is only 5-7 years, PC trend lasted a few decades before declining. Methinks, growth of AI and e-commerce revival would last 1-2 decades before stabilizing.

INTC and NVDA are two exception, selling to many manufacturers and can re-invent themselves, kind of.

2 Likes

Three Stocks to hold for 50 years

Owned AWK and WM but not iRBT. Owned iRobot 980 though :slight_smile:

20 Publicly Traded Robotics Companies

Bought 25 IRBT to get one foot wet. Hopefully can buy another 75 at much cheaper price :joy:

Small Cap (more than $2B, less than $10B)
UBNT 100 shares :rofl:
FSLR 100 shares
VEEV 75 shares
IRBT 25 shares (wuqijun - decided this is third)