No Need To Push Nice Places Like South Lake Tahoe @Elt1

No. If you have to work to live here it can be tough. But for retirement, life is easy. Housing costs are one third of the BA. Everything else is cheaper too. I thought I would miss the BA but now I try to avoid visiting… too much traffic. Once you are on the mountain it is hard to motivate to leave. Especially in the winter. I have a lot of friends that are snowbirds. They winter in SoCal, Arizona, Mexico and summer here. Others just ski all winter and go back home on the off season.
My tenants that live here full time work in the tourist service industry for min wage. Most won’t stay permanently.

Just do what my boss just did, he flew up there for a weekend of skiing and flew back. No hectic drive for him…

I am already in paradise. If I want to fly somewhere I am driving to Reno and flying to Mexico

The masses are coming, @Elt1… your insistence that your area is prime (Reno, eh, is close enough…) is apparently working.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2018/03/21/sf-bay-area-housing-crisis-reno-nevada.html

We are all just exburbs of Sacramento …Reno is having a job boom, driving rents as high as South Lake Tahoe…
I am trying to get investors interested in a 94 unit Apartment building in town. 94 units for the cost of 3 modest homes in PA…

Thus last week has made living in Tahoe tough…first record snow then record rain, 6’ of snow followed by 5" of rain…Could be most precipitation in March ever…Skiing due to end at Heavenly April 16.

Reno has mild weather annually only 7 inches of rain and very little snow, and world class ski in and hour away…80-90 all summer long

My wife is closing in a deal for a buyer who is selling Apple stocks and paying cash next week. Got a listing in June. Prices are cheap compared to Sacramento and the BA. Inventory is low. There are hardly any MFs for sale. Getting unsolicited offers. Maybe I should hold out for another year.

1 Like

selling or sold? Judging from the price behavior of F10, active selling in the past 3-6 months. Selling seems to be dying down. Sell stocks buy RE could be a good idea because going forward, price appreciation of stocks may not outstrip RE appreciation… in addition, RE tends to drop less in % than stocks should a recession strikes. However, after accounting for tax, not sure is wise or not… too lazy to do the computation.

Sold today. Better than at $150 a few weeks ago

Typical psychological behavior. Miss the previous ATH of $181, when it approaches ATH again, investors tend to sell. This behavior causes “resistance” as observed by technicians :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made that same mistake way back in 2002, as I sold part of my stock holdings to purchase my primary. That is the only time I have ever sold stocks in order to purchase real estate.

I do not think it is mistake, you would have gained equally by mortgage leverage.

She sold to pay cash for a principal residence. Does not have the income for a loan. Makes sense to me and very close to ATH.

Computed already. We know the conclusion. Somewhere in this forum. Don’t know how to search for the post :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, no one should ever sell stocks to buy houses.

The same happens on gap fills.

1 Like

What? How about someone who is paying high rent and has absolutely no tax write-offs? I would like to think a roof over your head alone COULD be more than a valid reason to sell some stocks. Come on, if only life was so easy to say pick this or that…

1 Like

Look what $800k gets near Sacramento. For the price of studio condo in SF. Acreage and a beautiful house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2824-Yardley-Pl-El-Dorado-Hills-CA-95762/18617312_zpid/

Many sell their RSUs, ESPPs and options to buy their primary home. Most of the tech workers do this. If they do not for primary home, it is a mistake.

Stock you can enter and exit at various intervals, but not home.

1 Like

What good is stock money if not for purchasing what you need?

3 Likes