No, There Is Nothing Wrong With Lowell's Selection Process

If you are elite material you will excel no matter where you go. If you are garbage then going to private school won’t help you. I have seen too many cases where the ROI is negative.

At least I buy my own Airpods.

2 Likes

If you’re a maverick, you will rise in any environment. Jack Ma is an outstanding example. Poor. Harvard reject. Technically incompetent. In Communist nation. Work as a teacher with no experience in starting, working and running a business.

Unfortunately, most of us are ordinary. So any help would be welcome. If private school increase you chance by any non-negative amount, so long you can afford it, go for it :grinning:

1 Like

Fine? Define fine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We don’t know enough about you to be certain about that… :smile:

Private school has the network effect. you turned out fine, like me, but neither of us are uber rich right?

we are not nice to her, she was right…

2 Likes

Well actually she’s not quite right. Looking at one individual case is pretty useless. There are many hobos sleeping on streets who had gone to public high schools in SF as well.

The right way is to look at probability. Not onesie or twosie anecdotes.

2 Likes

I mean… it’s self-reinforcing thing at this point. they went to public school because they didn’t have more money, which has the higher likelyhood that they will not have money later in life.

They are sleeping on streets because they went to public schools, or is it the other way around :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you need to invest money in your kids. It’s an arms race out there.

Or… your kids will have very good appetite to take on risk, and use your network. That’s more lucrative then spending money on the kid.

1 Like

Appetite for risk is directly proportional to how wealthy their parents are. If a poor black kid goes to Harvard on full ride scholarship I highly doubt she would quit to start Facebook.

2 Likes

exactly. my point being, if you are wealthy and send the kid to public school, he will probably be fine :slight_smile:

I read an interesting article from 538 saying most young people are actually very rational on choosing their majors. Poor kids choose practical majors like law enforcement or business. Rich kids choose “useless” ones like sociology, because they know they will go to grad and professional schools to be doctors or lawyers. They are just having some fun in undergrad.

smart choice to get a useless degree to be lawyer or doctor.
Is that how it works? Like does your major not have any impact on your chances to get accepted to medical school/law school?

Law degree draws from all sorts of majors. Didn’t obama study history before going to law school?

1 Like

Potato cousin went to public school and Harvard for grad school. His parents were not poor, but they did not send him to private school.

Two of my other cousins went to private school all their lives in HK. Their grades sucked and did not pass HKCEE. Now they are working for jobs that don’t require college degrees (even though they ended up finishing college overseas).

My point is parenting is the more important than anything else. Seems like only @sfdragonboy and I went to public schools in SF on this thread, yet those who never attended kept making negative remarks about them.

2 Likes

I went to public schools part of my pre-undergrad, and then private schools on full scholarship (whatever you call it). Ended up working for google, which is probably a feature, but it’s a bug for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

You and @sfdragonboy didn’t get to choose where you went. Your parents did. As a parent myself I have the decision power. :smile:

1 Like

we should ask where does his big bro send his kids to school.