Real Estate in Secular Uptrend

Not in your and my life term ! Waste of time with such trolls.

Read Ray Dalio blabber long time before ! No real substance, useless cycles which I know how to take care of my self from doom and gloom.

While you quote Ray Dalio book, did you know where he is invested ? Major US stocks.

2 Likes

You guys don’t understand economics 101.
If my wife and I start to trade our house junk with each other for millions of dollars and start claiming we are worth millions while not generating any real net income and ratcheting up credit card bill month after month to maintain fake wealthy lifestyle, what will happen in the end?

This is the situation of West. Negative net income (trade deficit) and sky high paper wealth (Bitcoin, corporations on life support, fake stock market, fake real estate market, etc.) and growing debt levels. This will only end in one way.

1 Like

Good Luck !

Same old Pandey, all new account

2 Likes

Everyone’s a Landlord—Small-Time Investors Snap Up Out-of-State Properties

With the help of recent technologies, laptop landlords are buying homes across the U.S.

2 Likes

Laptop landlords :grinning:

1 Like

I have being so, long before Covid. @Jil thinks is dumb. Actually I am ahead of the curve :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, here you go. When I purchased my first home, my realtor gave me some tips ( DOs and DONTs) for real estate.

One of the DONTs “buy rental homes within your reachable distance”

She is perfectly right in all her advises.I realized each and every statement of her tips.

Lesson: You buy a home remote say Florida. You hire PM. Tenant sues you for $50000 in local court for the small negligence of you Or pm.

You need to resolve it with your money and compromise.

If tenant is not yielding to compromise and goes to Florida court, you are 100% screwed as you need to fly and attend court or appoint a lawyer for the court.

Second, at one time my PM said roof is leaking, that I need to replace roof costs at that time $15000.

Since my rental was near, I went with my handyman fixed for $200, removed the PM at a later point.If it is remote Florida, you have to pay $15000.

I can show lot of stories ( actually others experience), going to court etc.

Eventually you will learn a lesson.

Since you got Cupertino rental you are escaped as the people are wearily they do not have time to extract money from landlords.

If you buy some unknown location, you will face all such nuisance and nice experience.

You people are lucky not faced so many issues, but I faced lot of hassles, nuisance, four law suits in last 10 years.

Enough is enough for me, no more real estate ( for me ) as rentals are true business kind of work, needs personal attention without which it is zero sun game.

2 Likes

C’est la vie

I won’t :slight_smile: Actually, I have planned to go to Austin is why I started investing in Austin suburbs (just a little secret hidden from you :slight_smile: ). @BAGB guessed it, don’t think you have read his comment. So far, the rentals I bought in Austin suburbs are not that far from my houses, your realtor’s advice is heed.

Have you sold all except Primary? You, @wuqijun and @manch have reached the same conclusion? I think none of you have yet to sell all (except Primary).

They worried that I would extract money from them :slight_smile:

Lucky? Or learning from experience.

I have many bad experiences in SG :slight_smile: Have already learned the lessons.

2 Likes

I am selling all. I’m in the process of selling 2 of them right now as I speak. Only thing preventing me from selling the rest is I have long term tenants who are not a nuisance. Once they give me notice to leave, the house will be on the market.

Single family or multi family?
Why sell and pay hefty taxes? Where will you put the proceeds, no good places to go to.

All my rentals are single family homes. Sell and pay the taxes, and worry less. All proceeds goes into spending extravagantly and enjoying life :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What he meant is buy two TSLA cars (his spouse and himself), buy more TSLA, put a solar city’s solar panels in his Primary, buy a few satellite phones,

1 Like

That wasn’t my intentions but thanks for the suggestions :rofl:

1 Like

Expressing inventory in term of months of supply when demand is reduced is scary.
Say, units available = 100

1. Sales transacted = 10, months of supply = 10
  2. Sales transacted = 20, months of supply = 5
  3. Sales transacted = 30, months of supply = 3.3

Since the chart is for nation level, it means too many new construction in some areas. Also, the number of new construction is inflated due to builders bringing forward the listing intended for later months. So expect subsequent inventory to decline as construction is sold.

Notice not many existing homes available even when express in months of supply.

That $2400 a month condo on Rengsdorf I posted about, owned by a friend, finally rented. In the 90’s it was getting $1500. Pretty crappy cash flow; not even staying even with inflation. The La Honda home I bought in 2012 was purchased in '89 for 245 and sold 23 years later for 275 after some upgrades. Again, terrible investment in one of the hottest counties in the nation even with a 23 year hold time.
I remember reading a newspaper story after the crash of '87. Someone bought an index fund in the 60’s through a broker. Market tanked in the early 70’s and he just stopped looking at the value; had dividends on auto-reinvest. The guy read the '87 headlines - “crash”, “meltdown”, “collapse.” Called his broker to see “how much he had left.” His investment was up 8 fold partly due to those 8% dividends he’d been dollar cost averaging in when the Dow was at 500-600. That’s the power of do-nothing index investing and why I don’t do real estate as an investment. Buy stocks in a boom, hold a couple decades, check value after a crash and you’re still way, way up.

Easy to cherry pick bad investments. I bought 27.5% of a 128 unit building in the worst part of Sacramento in 1999. Put $250k cash down on that $3.2k building. Now it’s worth $13m. That $250k is now worth 27.5% of that. 14x return in 23 years.

Here is a similar building . Better location.
$100k per unit is about as cheap you can go in California
Replacement cost is at least $259k per unit.

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/ochVxxhm5VP2wpbCEIcucfaZJMUzmGCtEZxYMsoSesc/Brochure%20142%20Sacramento.pdf

1 Like