Redfin bombed. Anyone buying?

Manch the bobble head :slight_smile:

Cable sucks. If you are talking fiber optics then maybe. But really America will never have fiber to homes everywhere.

But most of the areas will be fine. Plenty of areas to choose from with right infra. 5g would be nice but not necessary.

Parts of mv have gigabit connection. I am curious about antioch, should check it out.

Gigabit may not be enough. Think video game level rich detail. Anyway, long way off. In the meantime RE price continues to soar. Everyone happy except buyers. :smile:

Have you watched or seen caprica?

I think even virtual avatars would be fine if people get used to it at an early age. So maybe that is what we should capitalize on. Next generations always adopt faster to tech.

For real time face things you probably need less bw. You need people’s head model one time, and then send diffs. This doesnt need to be real time video streaming-esque. Think computer games, they dont render every frame and send it over, they use game state and character/joint poses.

Maybe… What do i know… My game engine experience was writing a robotic visualization on microsoft’s xna 10 years ago, i have no idea how realistic things need to get before humans feel comfortable.

Maybe not as much bw. Don’t know. You need to capture the facial expressions though. Unless you are the guy with only 5 set expressions that can be complex… The key is to be real enough to simulate human f2f interaction. You need to at least know the other person is rolling her eye. :smile:

Another potential tech to disrupt is self driving cars. If I can sleep in my self driving car do I really care if I live 20 minutes away or 2 hours?

Rolling eyes… Not everyone would love it heh.

Now combine a robotic bed with self driving car, or merge the two, and it starts commuting 1 hour before you actually wake up. Showering etc might be a problem, but workplaces have gyms!

People need adjusting. Not everyone can work in the car with constant changes in acceleration(and even if you move at the same speed, a change in direction of the car creates an acceleration).

What we need is gene tech. Modify genes to have no social needs, super high intelligence, and energy 16 hours/day.
Then we dont need anything :slight_smile:

Sure. Maybe working is asking for too much. But watching a video or checking facebook should be fine. If it’s like a plane and by the time you are home you already finish a movie that wouldn’t be a bad 2hr drive at all.

Plane has less changes in g when it is cruising though. Roads have curves, intersections,etc because of its 2 d nature.
We need flying cars. Damn larry and sebastian thrun!

Another BAGB type of computation :joy: guess the other 80% will be paid miraculously

1 Like

Paid for by inflation.

Return of purchasing a house using mortgage is fairly complicated to compute. Can’t compute the annualized return like a stock investment. There is no :grinning:holding cost to a stock purchased using cash. However, there is holding cost in owning a house. The cost of a mortgage (not free money), regular maintenance, occasional repairs and re-modeling, insurance, property tax and occasional asset replacement over the duration of ownership need to be included in the cost of ownership. I have detailed an example moon ago showing return is not that high, surprise that bloggers still use a simplistic way of computing the return of a house. IMHO, the biggest pro of ownership of a primary house from a financial perspective is forced saving.

Investing in rental is similar to investing in dividends paying stocks like P&G and J&J, going for the passive income. Annualized return and risk are not as high as growth stocks like FAANG. IMHO, no need to debate, simplistic computation might indicate return of rental is high because of ignoring holding cost and not using secant method in computing cost.

2 Likes

For some people like elt1, and wqj, they put active labor to increase the value though. Not entirely passive, but still lucrative nonetheless.

Value add properties skew the equation. Real Estate let’s you control your own destiny. Stocks don’t allow investor input. Just a completely different animal. Without insider information stocks are a guess. On average, average investors will only get average returns with stocks. Besides the urge to sell at the wrong times is too great. Even Steve Jobs sold all his Apple stock when he was fired.

1 Like

Your comments are inaccurate and not apple to apple comparison. Find out more or make the comparison more precise, too broad and general to the point of worthless. For example, bring in SJ to illustrate an average investor tend to sell at wrong time? Wtf, he is not an average investor. Another is stock don’t allow investor input is totally inaccurate.

Stocks are not random, but the man is good at re. So that is what he sticks with.

He talks as if he knows stock investment, totally out of his league, he got many inaccurate perception to the point that my toes always laughed when he opined about stock. Also, he likes to talk about the past. And don’t get facts right even for RE. This is the internet world, easy to verify facts.

“good at re” as in knowing the in-and-out of construction and building doesn’t imply understanding RE investment.