Right Quote for Gas line extension for gas range/oven?

Hi experts,

Wife wanted a Gas range but we do not have gas line in our kitchen.

The work description is as follows - 30 ft of new 3/4" pipe(galvanized) needs to be fitted. Will need to cut the existing inlet gas pipe & add a T joint and cut a hole in the wall of the garage to enter kitchen. Need to move 3 freestanding cabinets in garage to cut that hole. In the kitchen they will install a shutoff valve.

The work has been said to be 8 hours. (2 people).
Cost $500-labor, $100 materials. It’s not a lot of money but since I haven’t talked to any other plumber, I wanted to understand if the cost sounds OK? Any opinions?

Thanks!

500 for 1 day of plumbing related work for 2 people is a good deal IMO.

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound like 8 hours work for 2 people.

1 Like

I think it’s probably 4 hours x 2 people = 8 hours. Need to verify.

Plumbing costs min $100/hr, looks like they quoted $125/hr = 4 hours with 2 people to handle.

The quote looks fine. Even if you find another person, it can go to $500. My concern is you need to have right plumber, right approval (if any with PGE) as you are dealing with GAS connections ! I would always prefer to go with established company people rather than craigslist low cost people.

2 Likes

Check the quality of the plumber. Price is ok

1 Like

Online reviews seem to be good.

1 Like

How about the electrical connection for the gas range? AFAIK, can’t use the one for the electric range.
Ask for quotes for similar work,
Gas portion $550-$900
Electrical portion $350-$800
Decided not to do.

1 Like

Yepp need to check on that one.

If you have the 4 prong already, a simple solution is a dual fuel range. You get the best of both worlds.

Not an electrician, but you may be able to convert the 220 to 110 and not have to run an entirely new circuit. Not sure though.

1 Like

Dual fuels are much more expensive. I was hoping to get a 75" TV with the saving from skipping a dual fuel :wink: :slight_smile:

Yepp trying to understand that.

1 Like

Is this basically the conversion from 220 to 110V? Any reason why 220 can’t be used for gas range?

Moved the Refrigerator which is right by the current smoothtop electric range and found two 110 v outlets one of which is being used by the refrigerator. Can use the 2nd one for the range.

1 Like

It will work but current code wants a dedicated curcuit for each

1 Like

Thank @Elt1.

Will have to then figure out how to convert the 220v to 110v.

Will something like this work? And satisfy the code?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lotos-19-5-in-220-Volt-to-110-Volt-Pigtail-Adaptor-PT01/205545416

New line. Conversion is cheaper, can’t remember the quote, dislike it because if want to change back, need to convert back. If use adapter, seem unsafe. Saving a couple of hundreds of dollar for a million dollar house seems unwise. 110V is the standard in USA.

2 Likes

My apartments in Tahoe each have only one 110 outlet for the refer and range since 1953…Inspections by the city every year…Grandfathered in, no problem

2 Likes

If you aren’t touching the electrical I don’t think you would need to bring the electrical up to code. If the cord reaches the outlet without the use of an extension cord I believe you will be okay. You can check the manufacture’s requirements.

1 Like

Project completed. Negotiated price down to $400(labor) + $100 materials.

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments!