San Bruno Rocking The Overbids!

Oh… could you tell us what is the intersection closest to you??? We need 2 names: A street and B street.

So, just fill in the blanks “A” and “B”… :laughing:

I don’t see the appeal of Menlo Park. For MP’s price why not push it a bit more and buy in Palo Alto? PA schools still better than MP, unless you need to bike to Facebook for work. But even Zuck lives in PA.

Millbrae’s location is pretty darn good. You have a real backyard, sunny 70s weather almost year round, and easy commute to SF and doable to PA. We went to Happy Hallow last week and ate at East Lake aka the BEST Chinese restaurant in the Bay, Man, blown away by the food. Compared to the horseshit I ate at ABC last night I am starting to think I need to move closer to East Lake…

I also feel like several San Bruno and SSF areas are up-and-coming. Their proximity to the biotech cluster in SSF, one of the two dominant biotech hubs in the US (the other being Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA), is one big attraction. Biotechs in SSF have really blossomed in the past few years (partly at the expense of other west coast cities such as Seattle and San Diego, where the biotech communities have seriously waned).

Just look at what SSF is doing with “The Cove” at Oyster Point, with several more major developments coming online in the next few years. Merck and AstraZeneca/MedImmune are also consolidating all their west coast operations to SSF, with many more employees not yet relocated or not hired yet. Amgen closed their big Seattle campus and moved most people to Amgen SSF. And last, but not least, there’s also the old big behemoth Genentech in the area.

So… I am not surprised that San Bruno and SSF are “rocking the overbids” given that there’ll be such a large influx of people to the region in the next few years.

Just to add another data point, here is an $1.168M all cash offer (46% above asking) in SSF.

2 Likes

PA is already South Bay. MP can still be considered “peninsula”.

Yes, Millbrae’s location is really good. It has probably one of the best weather in the SF bay area (probably tied with Burlingame) - not too hot, not too cold. Proximity to SFO is actually a major plus for convenience, not a negative for me.

Chinese restaurants aside, Millbrae downtown has Trade Joes, Safeway, Dean’s Produce, Pape Meat, great farmer’s market on weekends (fruits and asian vegetables), oh and a great Irish pub (Fiddlers Green).

The only potential issue for some may be the increasingly ethnic Chinese dominance in the area, akin to Foster City. As an ethnic Chinese, I am okay with it… although I do sometimes wish Millbrae had more cultural and ethnic diversity.

I actually like Burlingame even more. But entry price for SFH on the good side of El Camino is 2M. I think there is a 500K differential between Millbrae and Burlingame.

Millbrae vs Burlingame to me is a smaller version of Cupertino vs Palo Alto. One is mostly Asian and the other mostly white.

Yeah. I think most would prefer Burlingame over Millbrae if affordability wasn’t an issue! :wink:

Thanks, @adc for chiming in! Are you also in the market and looking in these areas? Regarding SSF, I just don’t see how people are willing to spend so much for a house and then still get that plane noise overhead. I won’t do it.

Hi @sfdragonboy, yes I have been looking at SSF and San Bruno hills area. My last agent kept telling me that San Bruno hills remind him of Millbrae 10+ years ago, i.e. an “up-and-coming” area (as you’ve also indicated).

Re: airplane noise, the same thing could be said about Foster City too, and yet I don’t think it has hurt Foster City home values much. But I am the type that actually enjoys watching airplanes…

Millbrae 10 years was not up and coming. It has already fully arrived even back in 2007.

Did you go check out that Marwood Dr. home??? According to Jaime, only 3 bids came through. She agrees with me that perhaps too many people thought it would go too high so they didn’t even try.

Cupertino is 63% Asian, Foster City 45%, Mullbrae 42%. Still a long way to go for Foster City and Millbrae.

PA has 27% Asian but the ratio is going up. Hillsborough 28% and Burlingame 20% are similar to PA.

Usually a rising Asian ratio is good for housing price due to an increasing Asain population in BA. Cupertino is already saturated. Maybe better potential in other cities with good but nor super competitive schools

Is this a prevalent thinking? Amongst Gen-Xers and millennials?

I did not know Foster City was that Asian. Another thing I learn by being on here…

It’s not a fad, it’s a geo calculation. Move to Millbrae, hanera. Cupertino is too far from the city

But both Cupertino and Millbrae are not investment target due to low rental yield. It could be a good option for primary home

You want me to stay in a place where I’m not the majority?
Can consider when the % is more than 50%.

@manch you are right. I think my agent probably meant 20+ years ago. While I do agree that san bruno has room to move up, but not sure if it’ll really be like Millbrae today.

Does people here think that San Bruno (especially the nicer hills area) in 10-20 years will be where Millbrae is today?

Wow! Just 3 offers? They should either do bait pricing ($899K or $849K) to entice offers or do market pricing. None of this half-way ($928k) pricing strategy. Did you find out from Jaime the final selling price?

I did drive by the Maywood house during one of the open house weekends, but seemed like too much trouble finding a parking spot so I just drove away to my next open house. Lol.

I want to move to millbrae hill too. but price is much higher than san bruno. Same house in millbrae cost 3-500k more . and it’s only like 5 minute drive difference.

MP’s toniest streets compare favorably to PA’s toniest streets. MP has larger swaths of nicely configured lots and it has an existing off street parking regulation. Off street parking has been an issue for PA for awhile. Get out there and take a walk down Bay Laurel and compare it to Waverley/Hamilton.

Look at the new construction going in and the new folks coming in.