San Jose Is The Most Forgettable Major American City

Good luck with the parking availability in SF.

I really want, for the last time in my life attend a world cup. The last one in 1994? Gee! Long time ago, I barely went to see 2 games in Stanford. I had a hand brake (girlfriend) that didn’t like chit. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Um, the Mayor is def going to push for dedicated bike lanes…

1 Like

He’s going to ban cars.

“Last year, VTA officials increased the extension’s estimated cost by $900 million and pushed back their timeline for completing it by as much as four years — from a $4.7 billion project finished in 2026 to a $5.6 billion one that could open in 2029 or 2030.”

What? The 2016 ballot measure said $1.5B. When will people stop voting for these projects with bogus budgets and deadlines?

“ With two transit-linked sales taxes still decades away from expiring, the Santa Clara County Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) will ask voters to approve a third one this fall. Measure B’s 30-year half-cent sales tax would generate $6.3 billion for countywide transportation projects. Forty percent of the revenue—$2.5 billion—would fund commuter train projects ($1.5 billion of it for BART’s southward extension to San Jose and $1 billion for Caltrain upgrades). Some $750 million would pay to upgrade 24 highway interchanges and another $750 million to upgrade county expressways. Local streets and road repaving would take up $1.2 billion. A transit study, congestion relief and noise-minimizing infrastructure along Highway 85 would come to $35 million. Eight percent would go toward expanded bus and light rail services and 4 percent to bicycle and pedestrian safety improvements. Public transportation advocates have criticized the tax plan for carving out such a large percentage for freeway projects, which they say would induce more congestion instead of easing it. Similar measures in other Bay Area counties inverse the ratio to prioritize public transit over highway expansion. The VTA measure needs a supermajority vote to pass and includes a built-in citizen watchdog committee to keep an eye on spending.”

1 Like

San Jose is officially communist

600x150

Oppose the San Jose City Council’s Effort to Prohibit Owners from Collecting Rent

A proposal by San Jose City Councilmembers Carrasco and Peralez would prohibit rental property owners from collecting any rent from tenants who have suffered a COVID-19 related income loss. The ordinance, proposed to last 90 days, would make it illegal for a property owner to recover any lost rent after the ordinance expires.

Carrasco and Peralez are asking the council to enact this emergency ordinance on Tuesday, April 5, and make it retroactive to April 1, 2020. If approved, landlords would likely have to refund any collected rent from impacted tenants. The ordinance also could be extended after the 90-day period ends.

CAA Tri County argues that this ordinance is blatantly illegal, as it violates state and federal law, and is likely unconstitutional. The illegality of the proposal, however, hasn’t deterred the authors from attempting to rush its approval.

Property Owners Need to Speak Up. Here’s How:

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, council meetings occur virtually, so CAA needs impacted property owners to email their opposition to the ordinance, which will be entered into the record as a public comment. The council needs to hear that you are doing what you can to assist your tenants in this difficult time but that you also still have an obligation to pay your mortgage bill, maintenance costs, utility bills, and payroll to support your employees and vendors. Moreover, council members need to understand that forbearance doesn’t relieve you as the property owner of your financial obligations.

To have an impact, you must email your comments tocityclerk@sanjoseca.gov by 12:00PM, Tuesday, April 7. Below is a draft letter that you can send as-is or personalize:

1 Like

I don’t think it can survive a court challenge. Looks very illegal to me.

3 Likes

Wow. That’s surprising from San Jose. The thing with all of these is none define what a related income loss is or how it is to be verified.

Kick people out of church, let criminals out of jail and confiscate property. Welcome to the communist republic of California.

I sent an email to SJ mayor. Every SJ property owner should do the same. Follow this mail chimp link or craft your own letter.

https://mailchi.mp/de3d098e9c92/illegal-san-jose-free-rent-ordinance?e=78fda8a059

3 Likes

The city of San Jose is acting like the people in this Twilight Zone episode. When times get tough take stuff away from the people that are prepared.
Now you see why I have so pessimistic about this virus.
That is why guns are needed in a crisis

I just pray this nightmare ends quickly before the economy and society blow up.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s finally time to exit the rental market. Wake up call.

5 Likes

A friend had just texted me about the San Jose proposal.
Activists are requesting the same in other cities, e.g. San Francisco.

Yes, landlords can skip water/ garbage/ tax bills for 30 or 60 days, in some cases even the mortgage… but it’s all due in one lump sump June 1st. Or July 1st. 2020, that is.

How about we pro-rate property taxes to 75% (no rent for 3 out of 12 months)?

The County says that the state has the authority to postpone property tax payments,
and Sacramento says “all the counties insist on full payment this week”.

That crosses my mind after seeing how city halls are treating to landlords. Maybe time to rethink of being small time landlord.

1 Like

Alternatively… :hugs:

Takara Bio’s purchase totaled 129,000 square feet. Brokers from commercial real estate firms CBRE and Newmark Knight Frank arranged the transaction.

The deal appears to position Takara Bio USA for a significant expansion. At present, the company occupies roughly 57,000 square feet on at 1290 Terra Bella Ave. in Mountain View…

1 Like

This property has been ready and “showcased/displayed” for at least the last 3 years or maybe more. Finally the owners had to get rid of it is my guess.

1 Like