Seattle is America's Biggest Company Town

Austin just started it and some other places as well. Why not follow and give it more time to conclude. If the result is bad we all will accept it doesn’t work.

“The report said that in 10 major cities where cops were sharply criticized, police activity dropped 48% since June 2020 and murders rose 56%.”

You want to wait while murders are up 56%. Sure, let’s just sit by and let more people die.

Coddling with criminals have never worked. Why will it be different this time or with Austin.

I never said to coddle with criminals. I am talking about small experimental things like this,

1 Like

Safely of life and property of innocent citizens in not a subject of an experiment. We have been seeing such experiments for last 70 years. They don’t work.

The headline is super appealing but nowhere do they actually provide any data that would lead someone to the conclusion lives are saved.

Ok pls show some study where experiment was done and it failed.

It said many of the 911 calls didn’t require cops and the other team was able to handle since it’s drug related. Cops were better utilized for actual crimes. BTW this’s still in nascent stage, we can’t conclude anything yet.

Prop 47 is such an experiment. It did not help. Only became talking point of the promoters.

I asked on violent crimes or homicide. Prop 47 is for theft but yes from what I see prop 47 seems to be partially/ not working as intended.

“The report said that in 10 major cities where cops were sharply criticized, police activity dropped 48% since June 2020 and murders rose 56%.”

I am not able to verify the police activity dropped data. What’s the activity for other cities? Without all these data cannot conclude. I saw Louisville didn’t implement defund police so I don’t know how can you claim defund police increased crime. NYC, Austin, Denver implemented defund police in a small scale. It’s not like whole police system was stopped and criminals are rejoicing.

Most of the cities are without defund police. Can we say no defund police is not working?

BTW I support having more cops in high crime areas

AFAIK, only the funding for training cops is reduced. From x number of training sessions to 1… save $ since can group many to 1 session.

defund police is using fund in an efficient way. Give better training and it’s not getting rid of cops. You proved that point.

Are you serious? What do you think happens if the police budget is cut by 40%?

You realize police activity is logged, right? They know how many traffic stops are made. They know how many IDs are run to check for criminal record. They know exactly how many times police are dispatched for 911 calls. It is all logged.

I said I want to see those logged data for all cities across USA. That article you shared didn’t link to data that’s why mentioned couldn’t verify.

1 Like

I think we should have a separate thread for hood videos. Hoods are also part of real estates, just that hoods are not where one would want to live or work.

This one is from kensington ave in Phily.

Can a New Mayor Fix Seattle’s Downtown?

Remote work, safety concerns and clashes with the city council have emptied out Seattle’s offices. The upcoming election will determine what happens next.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-10-28/can-a-new-seattle-mayor-bring-back-downtown-businesses

Bill Richter, CEO of Seattle tech startup Qumulo Inc. wishes he could get out of his company’s 65,000-square foot lease in downtown Seattle. In January 2020, gunfire erupted outside the building around 5 p.m. just as workers were thinking about heading home. One person was killed and 7 were injured, including a nine-year-old boy. Since then, Richter has seen open drug deals and fist fights — there was a fatal shooting a block away on an October Sunday night. Richter gets asked about it frequently at weekly employee meetings.

“Bellevue is all of 15 minutes from here and it’s a night and day difference,” he said. “As the pandemic subsides, location matters a ton to employees — being able to go out to lunch and enjoy the amenities around an office. We think about that a lot — certainly having personal safety issues around the office is a net-negative.”

The mayor won’t make a difference unless they overhaul city council. All they care about is trying to be the most woke of the group.

The storm last weekend had power out all over the Seattle city power grid. As soon as you got outside the city grid, there were no issues at all. They should probably worry more about reliable electricity than climate change or immigration policy.

1 Like