Secular inflation is here

According to WB, everything is going up up up.

American taxpayers are paying less and less taxes :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Chinese are the fools :face_with_hand_over_mouth: that are supporting the luxurious American lifestyle because they bought fixed rate US Treasury bonds.

I don’t own any fixed interest securities. Ofc, I borrow 30-years fixed housing mortgage :+1:.

How High Oil Prices Threaten a California Plastic Container Business

Rising energy costs are lifting the prices of key materials and intensifying inflation, compounding supply chain disruptions caused by the pandemic.

Supply chain disruptions are not caused by the pandemic, are caused by the panicky response.

1 Like

Fed to be more aggressive? It may backfired. Can we ignore opinions of those who don’t understand systems? In general, Fed can only use monetary policies!

Sold work van in 2020 and Tesla in 2021. I think I should’ve kept both :face_holding_back_tears:
How Surging Used-Car Prices Are Turning Vehicles Into a Profitable Investment
Some car owners are selling their vehicles to make the most of the current market mayhem.

CPI

1 Like

RE :+1:
AAPL :+1:

Crypto is physical?

While economists expect rising mortgage rates to ease demand, it won’t be enough to change the trajectory of home-price growth.

We know that.

The shortage of homes stems in large part from a decline in construction since the housing meltdown that sparked the Great Recession in 2008.

We know that.

“The housing crisis we’re in has developed over the last decade, and it’s going to take a decade or two of consistent policy to get us out of this,” Zandi said.

Why do Zandi expect consistent policy going forward?

1 Like

When rates increase, fewer people will decide to sell their home. It strangles supply. Why sell a home with a 3% mortgage to buy a home with a 5% mortgage? We could be at 5% next year. That creates an inventory crunch, and there will still be renters who are trying to become owners. Demand will be greater than supply causing prices to go higher.

3 Likes

I don’t position any one stock to be a large portion of my portfolio, since any of them can run into company-specific problems, but I certainly prefer a diverse basket of these types of stocks rather than cash over the long run, for the bulk of my portfolio.

Just buy S&P index funds/ ETFs.

However, we should be mindful of and prepared for considerable volatility even in good stocks. That’s why I’m also diversified into cash-equivalents, gold, bitcoin, real estate, and other assets as part of a diversified portfolio.

So complicated. RE will do.

The main sticking point is the half of a day necessary to charge an EV versus a 3 minute trip to a gas station. Just not practical for most people. Even Tesla superchargers take nearly an hour to give you enough juice to get anywhere and there are hardly any of them. One for every 160 gas stations.

…and it looks like the ICE cost basis assumes only 25.7 mpg. There are affordable alternatives, even in an AWD smaller SUV, that get 35 to 40mpg.

@Elt1 inflation special