Secular inflation is here

Any plug-in is kind of junky car, lot of overhead maintenance, either go fully iced car or EV car!

1 Like

I loved my Prius . It’s still worth more than I sold it for 4 years ago.
For value and Empg comparison it is the most practical deal out there. And many can go 300k miles. But these days a I need a big SUV… my neighbors X dropped the $40k price in on year. Plus the Priu won’t cost very much to charge. If you commute less the 40 miles and have free charging at work and solar it would cost very little to run.

Blackrock recession

Exactly. Having to maintain two separate vehicle systems is crazy on the maintenance costs.

1 Like

Inflation keeps falling. We are at the edge of a 5 handle.

Again, lowest in a year. Half the level from the highest point.

The goods inflation is gone. Rent for new leases is falling fast, just waiting for the official data to catch up. And now jobs site data is showing salaries for new hires is moderating.

We may actually have deflation next year.

2 Likes

Higher than expected yet again. Why expectations are always wrong on the same side in every reading. Don’t these forecasters ever learn.

In the 12 months through November, the core PPI advanced 4.9% after increasing 5.4% in October.

Slower increase is what that matter. Can’t be bother with forecasters. Trend is what matter. It is trending down. So :+1:

Last month, it was less than expected. Don’t let annoying facts get in the way of your agenda though.

“Shelter costs, which make up about one-third of CPI weighting, continued to escalate, rising 0.6% on the month and now up 7.1% on an annual basis.”

It’s interesting that truflation has housing as 6.46% yr-yr, so there’s not much gap there. I thought rents had really cooled. They’ve cooled since the spring peak, but the yr-yr numbers are still really strong.

CPI formula changed in Jan?

Why are oil companies only gouging Californians? :crazy_face:

This guy is ridiculous and dangerous. He wants to regulate profits. Citizens of all those countries which regulated profits are jumping over the border wall to get into America.

ADDED LATER: On thinking further - I’m wrong here , even people in CA(also NY) ARE leaving CA( which is regulating profits) to go to the rest of America.

1 Like

Rent here includes leases signed a year ago. Private data shows rent for new leases going down steep. That will slowly show up in official data.

1 Like

I thought truflation was based on currently signed rates.

My impression is Truflation just replaces the official count with more data points at higher frequency. Its overall methodology is broadly the same as official CPI. I could be wrong though. Didn’t look in depth.

1 Like

Furman using new lease rent in the core CPI calculation and it shows deflation for two months straight.

2 Likes

That makes sense to me. I notice prices dropping on things I buy. I’m isolated from rent and mortgage rates with a 30-year fixed mortgage.

If the Fed is not careful we may end up with outright deflation next year. They really need to get their foot off the pedal. We are at the brink of flying off the cliff.