SFBA vs Austin

If I recall the situation, Obama was elected mainly by the economic downturn 2008 which was aggravated by two wars (Iraq and Afgan) during his term.

The Republican Candidate barely fought. McCain at times seemed like pitching for Obama. Obama was a generational candidate, and for leftists, he was the culmination of 50 years of hard work. Unfortunately, he disappointed both his supporter and opponents alike. He left America even more divided, even more wounded.

1 Like

Redwood City has the best weather in the BA. No AC needed and no fog

1 Like

True except the hot days in RWC have gotten hotter of the last 10 years. Eichler homes were not meant to handle 100 degree days.

2 Likes

Eichlers are an abomination not meant for human inhabitants. Better off in a tent.
My buddy bought one of these for $113k in 1980. He used krugerrands for a down payment. Still a piece of crap. No insulation leaky roof cold in winter hot in summer.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/389-Northumberland-Ave-94061/home/843032

Dragon boy was ahead of his time. Foggy sunset could be the most desirable place in the US in 20 years. Austin and the south would be a burning inferno.

Was water skiing in 65 degree water this morning. Love cold mountain living. Almost exactly the same weather in Tahoe as RWC in summer. Warmer during the day and colder at night no fog and no humidity. My waterfront cost less than the value of this old tired Eichler.

That house is beautiful though! The seller did tasteful updates. Another place I saw they did a good job on update was this one.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Palo-Alto/3790-Redwood-Cir-94306/home/1601763

Too bad it was right back up against Charleston - otherwise we would’ve bought it (it was a slow season then).

There must be ways to add insulation to an eichler.

Tear down is easier. You can spray insulation on the top but the siding is still uninsulated. The windows and aluminum single pane doors need to be replaced. Many that I have inspected had heaving floors and broken radiant heating pipes due to expanding clay soils. Unreinforced slabs over poorly prepared sub soil. Cheap fifties construction. Like buying a neglected old car. An Edsel to me. They were always much cheaper to buy than conventional construction that had attics and crawl spaces. Now due the current fad they are expensive. Just like a 1957 Chevy. Cute but still old technology. Crappy brakes, unsafe handling old rust buckets.

1 Like

What is updated? What I notice is sliding doors on the cabinets and the garage. Crap at the time and crappy now. Old funky furniture. Cheap plywood dark paneling that can’t be touched up. Dark rooms with oppressive low ceilings Flat roof prone to leaks. Lack of shear walls.
A kitchen smaller than in a motorhome.
My boat has a bigger bathroom. Look at the 18” sink.

Your example is nicer. But no garage? And a pool that nobody wants anymore.

Speaking of Austin,

https://news.yahoo.com/former-googler-says-hes-tired-164100786.html

1 Like

Article keeps mixing BA, SF and SFBA - I view them as different geographical coverage. I get a feeling he is referring to 7x7, $2M house near a strip mall? No houses in CU, MV and Sunnyvale are like that.

“The unwritten rule at any given mega-corp is if you’re a talented individual contributor they will let you work from wherever you want,” Singer said. "It is not posted on their website. They will not admit that to you ever. But I’ve never seen that not be true at any big company.”

That is not @manch concern. His view is no chance of ever hitting leadership spot (SVP+).

I don’t disagree on this statement, but he is missing the qualifier. In ballpark, Google hires about 12K people out of 3M applicant every year. 0.04% selection rate. Then out of 12K, he is referring to probably about 1.5K might qualify that (I am thinking of E6 and above). If you are one of those people, they will have no problem in affording 2-3 million house in BA. Maybe everyone is celebrating that he is leaving BA.

They’re like, ‘It’s totally reasonable to leave.’ No one’s fighting to keep me here.

1 Like

Those talented individual contributors are paid very well here and have no problem affording big houses, and they won’t complain about “astronomical” house prices here.

They cheer for it.

Saw this on Blind:

Microsoft X AE A-12:

I was in Bayarea ever since I started working. Wanted to try out Austin for obvious reasons & boomeranged to bay within 3 months.

Austin:

Affordability : Yes.
Cost of living : Yes
Food : Meh
Traffic: Equally worse
School: It’s cut throat in good schools
Property taxes: High
Beaches : No
Hikes n Parks : Can’t compare to bay
Jobs : Ok
Weather: sucks
Summers are harsh. It’s 100 even at 11PM
Allergies: Cedar is hard

I wouldn’t do this again. However if you’re planning to move just for housing & improved life style you can try it out but you’ll miss out on the action both in terms of nature & jobs. I would say work remotely from Austin for a month & see if you like it.

I have experienced both & bay would be my choice any day

Bay Area is expensive for a reason. If you are already making good money here, why move?

2 Likes

Comparison on wrong parameters. He should compare on social, political, and legal environment that are the causes most businesses cite when moving out of Bay Area.

1 Like

Also reasons for individuals to leave. Reading between the lines, he doesn’t care :man_shrugging:, he may one of those :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Stay in WestLake Hills/ Lakeway/ The Hills and go to near Domain? What do you expect? :unamused: attaboy

Don’t know how to cook? :angry:

Texas has great BBQ and strip clubs. I guess he wasn’t a fan :sunglasses:

1 Like

To make the comparison fair, the person should have mentioned 0 income tax in Texas. I prefer low income tax to low property tax because property tax collections are spent locally. I would prefer to have same way in California and nation ( 0 income tax and reasonable property tax or sales tax). That is how it was before Income tax was created.

In favor of SFBA, one can say these:

1. Access to big venture funding.
  2. large base of technical work force.
  3. Moderate weather (if one has time outside 8-10 working hours)

SFBA is definitely good if you are rich, powerful, and connected. So are the most of the third world countries.