SFBA vs Austin

I feel this is the biggest pro. Elsewhere, not many money wants to take extremely high risk. Watch this group of people.

Every global cities are good if you’re crazy rich.

California budget deficit is 10 times higher than Texas. With no real economy in California except Fed money printing that help stock and venture funding. expect it to balloon further as at some point dollar need to saved. Plus trade war in Asia will further decline employment in ports of CA. manufactured good will have to shift to Midwest/ Mexico or all the way to Brazil.

Texas is largest exporter state in US, Texas has big LM F-35 plant, It is world Energy headquarter…Texas also manufactured Trucks. Tesla chip designers are sitting there.

I know people who make less than 100k and still able to buy houses here in Bay Area. Not just the fringe but right smack in the middle of the action. Sure it’s not a 3000 ft McMansion and it takes some sacrifices. Maybe not blowing 10k on a yearly vacation or not eating out every night. But it can be done.

People complaining about high housing costs don’t understand real estate. Buying a house is an investment. Like all investments it means delaying your gratification, and your initial sacrifices will be repaid handsomely in the future. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. There’s a guy on blind on the same thread praising Austin for its low housing price. But it turns out he’s happy because he’s only paying $2500 rent for a huge house and he thinks he’s getting a great deal. So even with low prices he’s still a renter.

If you have to raise a family of four on 60 or 70k, it makes sense to move to a lower cost area. I get it. All these talks about how Bay Area has better tech opportunities don’t apply. But when we compare BA with Austin, let’s face it, that’s not the target demographic we have in mind.

1 Like

The irony is the LP money is from all over the world.

Your understanding is very poor about California. Since CA is well developed, they charge very high tax to run the biggest state. Govt does not care if companies are going out as they have highest income producers here.

Federal tax gets lions share as income and corp tax from California.

Only financial center, NY - wallstreet, is in east coast and all real income producing companies are in west coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_sovereign_states_by_GDP

Its only due to high income people living in Coasts. US stock market as percentage of GDP (Thats another debate what is real productive GDP) is the highest ever. Its Monetary policies that favour virtual firms with digitally distributed products.

do you saw Intel earnings miss and where its capital investments going?.
Tesla capital investments going all the way to Berlin.
No real construction firms left to built public or energy projects in CA or sell that expertise overseas.
I give maximum two years more when EU\Russia and Chinese built digital firms basically give ultimatium to rest of the world. buy my digital products or else?. that else includes everything else.

Not a good description of flow of money and products:
What kind of development CA has that other states not have ? Each state specializes in certain industry or sector of economy.

The taxes are high in California because government spends way more than it should. On per dollar basis, state of CA is not providing something more than other states that tax less. Taxation is in a large part a political decision.

Lot of Federal Taxes are picked up from California because California gets privilege to sell its products and services to the rest of the USA.

Do other states do favor to CA by buying products of CA?

This is very common for companies to miss earning and recover. This is very least concern and does not move even a needle. This had happened to many companies in 2000 and 2008…etc

Tesla is expanding, they will create many more manufacturing plants for supply chain and tax reason. Companies like AAPL, GOOGLE…etc may likely file taxes for 200 countries as a result of expansion.
Tesla is very new and continues to grow globally.

China is the largest exporter in the world. You should move to China.

1 Like

EU is the largest trade block. strong currency, low interest rates. In the center of world. 9 hour flight both to Americas and Asia
https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/eu-position-in-world-trade/

your not paying attention to the statements.
Tesla hardly made 400K autos and it is already fleeing CA. the rest of competition can make millions at one place before they move around. This show the low productivity in manufacturing in CA.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2020/07/23/covid-coronavirus-doj-genentech-antibody-amgen.html
Manufacturing capacity was a sticky point for Foster City-based Gilead Sciences Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) as it won emergency use authorization of its antiviral drug remdesivir against Covid. It solved the issue in part with manufacturing and distribution deals with several generic drug makers that can supply dozens of other countries, but hospitals have reported problems getting enough of that drug.

Evan Wynns, April 15

Why do people choose to live in the San Francisco Bay area?

In any case, the reasons people like living here, in no particular order are:

• It is very pretty, with many areas having lovely views, access to water, green spaces, and close proximity to gorgeous recreational areas.
  • It’s very diverse, with communities from all over the world. People can experience food and culture of all types without going far from home.
  • The economy, while admittedly leaving behind many lower income sectors, is among the best in the US. The tech sector especially offers a huge variety and density of well paying jobs even at early career levels. Even with the high costs of life here, it remains attractive economically for that reason.
  • It has world class educational institutions. Stanford and Cal are the big dogs here, but there are also numerous research and vocational schools, art schools, and even magnet high schools that attract students from far afield and offer solid career opportunities in a variety of fields. In that sense, it’s also sort of the gravity well for the communities for hundreds of miles around. With the exceptions of a few public universities like Sonoma State, Sac State and UC Davis, the vast majority of students who live in northern or central California and want to study close to home (ish) have few options apart from the Bay Area.
  • It offers a variety of experiences in a nearby radius. As other answers have mentioned, SFs strength is not necessarily so much that it is the best at anything (except tech) but that it is great for nearly everything. You can start your day jogging near the golden gate; have a high powered business meeting before lunch; dine on any of a hundred different cuisines; take in any of thousands of theater or art offerings; and be in regions offering skiing, world class wines, or hiking among ancient redwoods by evening.
  • Last but not least, the people here tend to be friendly and warm. The general attitude is, if you aren’t hurting others, do your thing! It’s a place people come in order to be who they feel they’ve always been, and welcomes people who identify as misfits, oddballs, and queers, as well as artists, makers, and innovators of all stripes. That makes many people who come here feel like there’s no other place they’d want to live, and that is an irreplaceable feeling in the place you call home.

Actually the high RE price is driving out the “misfits, oddballs, and queers, as well as artists, makers, and innovators of all stripes” mentioned above. Maybe we need the boring tech bros all move to Austin to make SF great again. Let 'em sweat bullets under the 110 degree sun they love so much.

:rofl:

Aren’t most of the items listed above (like variety of cuisine) available in several cities in one form or another? And if the city happens to be a beach city, there are many, it has pretty much all of the above except maybe tech jobs.

1 Like

Is it not ironic how Bay Area (population 7 million) claims to be home of top notch universities, and still needs to import STEM workers every year from foreign countries whose educational standards is relatively inferior.

1 Like

Unfortunately. you have poor understanding how EU and USA are positioned. Any way, this very controversial subject here, I stay away from it.

You do not understand about Tesla and Elon Musk, how growth companies spread their tentacles all over the world. Your need to know more about corporate tax law and supply chain logistics why Germany is strategic location for Tesla manufacturing. Everything Elon does (for that matter many CEOs/CFOs) aimed at highest return on investment.

In short, many times I said here, Tesla is innovation and it is hard to break the innovator. Innovation is key for bay area success. As long as innovative companies are coming every year, bay area leads.

All I say to this finally to you “Do not have negative thoughts about USA/Bay Area, this will recover after a recession (which has not come/seen yet ! ), make use of the recession. Otherwise, you will be permanently missing the boat and missing the growth for life”.

No one with a bit of understanding of economics, history and politics thinks that Bay Area is done for the reason like corona-virus. At least, I do not believe coronavirous is a fatal blow. After Nov 3, no one will even talk about it (covid-19) . I do not even follow news related to coronovirus except when the corona-virus threads come up due to a new posting.

That said, economics and politics changes constantly. Markets change, people change, tastes change, and the kings change. But, just as change is part of nature, inertia (resistance to a change ) is also a part of the nature. So, what ends up happening is consequence of which force dominates, the one causing a change, or the one resisting it. Is the change a good change or a bad change. For example, policy to release all prisoners into the street is not a good change. So, is desire to prison people who refuse to wear mask. Is it not funny. You put people into prison for not wearing mask, and then once they are in, you release them due to fear of infection inside cell.

Supply chain design is a complex process but the goal is simple. To match the revenue with the cost. And one of the key marketing principle. Be closest to the costumer. For example, if you want to produce a fancy car for a market with smaller par capita income, you can produce the car in that market to match cost and to make it easier to service that market. The production in that market can be used to supply globally if cost of transportation is not prohibitive. But, these production and supply chain issue are driven by local politics, and it is exactly the same reason that is driving companies out of China.

1 Like

I have good idea much more than i want to type. EU has strong Agriculture standards and Avg life expectancy now much higher than US. They are not that much depended on air travel alone.
.They distribute Noble prizes to plastered people to make them believe they are special. thats they reason they gave that Tesla plant permission.

. Elon Musk does not know much about Engineering or return on investment. he has sucked $300B of investors capital that barely producing 400K automobiles with batteries supplied by Panasonic, CTAL, LG Chem. More over he has shown to the rest of the world the competence of Chinese system by making Tesla production faster and cheaper there. that why Chinese like Musk dance.
Let see Musk make Tesla with Indian batteries and Indian production methods?

Let agree to disagree as you will always defend the $15T market cap of digital firms that hardly produce jobs and Tax revenue relative to monetary and fiscal policies support they got.

[quote=“HK2, post:58, topic:8656, full:true”]

I have good idea much more than i want to type. EU has strong Agriculture standards and Avg life expectancy now much higher than US. They are not that much depended on air travel alone.
.They distribute Noble prizes to plastered people to make them believe they are special. thats they reason they gave that Tesla plant permission.

Whatever you say, I do not think you are clearly understanding the economics, US and the world, and also about Tesla + Elon Musk.

I have told enough here, but not ready to debate/discuss the same old topic endlessly.

My time is precious esp weekends as I have to develop lot of strategy/code…etc.

Then, many times I ponder why I am hanging around wrongly rather than focusing my own subjects.

Good Luck !

So busy? I am busy relaxing :sunglasses:

Focus, focus, focus :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like