Shutdown happened

Shorts in place for Monday?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/government-shutdown-2018-01-19-senate-vote-deal-latest-news-live-updates/

1 Like

What was the impact last time government shut down? Didnt it happen recently, and there was almost no impact?

Could cause some economic uncertainty. The stock market is due for a twenty percent reduction.

Not betting on it. 20% will probanly come around september. I am planning to go all cash around june

I have crystall ball.

Sounds like BTC is the safe haven now. The price increased ~$600 = ~5% in the last 20 minutes.

ok. I’m adding a :rofl:

Bitfinex printed tethers.

Last shutdown was 10/1-16 in 2013. S&P500 actually rose during that time.

Most of federal government still functions, including the military. Some federal employees get a vacation. Since they always get paid afterwards, it’s just a little paid vacation for them.

3 Likes

Government shutdown is a good opportunity to expose the bloated government. The country functions just fine with a shutdown, which begs the queustion of how much of the government could be eliminated to save taxpayer money

3 Likes

eminent?
imminent?

1 Like

Happened… will last at least a week. 16 days last time. I think it will hurt the Democratics in November

1 Like

That’s not the perception so far. Most Americans have no idea how Congress works. They assume GOP has control over both chambers of Congress and the White House, and blame Trump.

67% of Americans don’t even know the 3 branches of government. They can name all the family members on “The Simpson’s” though. We really have made it too easy to survive and procreate.

1 Like

I thought you all are gamblers. Not going to hedge this market, even a little bit?

1 Like

Like Pete said bitcoin is racheting up. People are placing bets.

Make a fool out of Darwin.

1 Like

I sold some covered calls. That was my hedge. This does show how little the government does for us on a day-to-day basis. Remember the California furloughs? State employees worked 4 days a week. Did it actually impact anyone? That tells you there’s at least 20% too many state employees.

It is the minority being obstructionist. Demanding DACA support. Holding the American economy hostage. I think Trump would trade the Wall for DACA support. But then it gets complicated…Nobody will come out smelling good on this deal. I say let a Trump have his Wall, won’t work. But will satisfy his base who are convinced illegals are stealing their jobs… which is not true. But immigration will never be an issue that be solved without a lot of pain in all sides… I know plenty of legal immigrants who are unhappy with DACA kids getting put at the head of the line…

2 Likes

Not hedging for this yet, no.

Last time it was the Republicans. It’s just part and parcel of our democracy system.

1 Like

Yep. I am ready for a parliamentary system. The current constant deadlock is a waste of time and money