Barron wants us to hold MU through earnings Mar 20 Wed, comply or defy?
Wall Street is trying very hard to kick micron down:
• Morgan Stanley thinks Micron (MU +0.7%) will report a “tough” Q2 this week and the print could diminish optimism that DRAM memory chips will see a recovery in H2.
• Analyst Joseph Moore says he’s surprised Micron didn’t preannounce and that it isn’t a question of how bad things are in the short term but rather “how long conditions will continue to deteriorate.”
• Moore doesn’t expect “definitive answers” in the report, but the firm continues to see “discouraging lead indicators.”
• Morgan Stanley maintains an Equal-Weight rating on Micron with a $33 PT.
• Micron will report on March 20. Consensus estimates have revenue at $5.85B with EPS of $1.68.
MS analyst is “surprised” Micron didn’t preannounce bad news. Haha. Never seen that one before.
Barron/WSJ vs Morgan Stanley, who to believe?
Call(Mar 22 $41) is heavily traded.
MU earnings: Beat WS reduced estimates and slightly below previous estimates. AH hardly changed.
40 mins later…
Magic words from Sanjay,
Chief Executive Sanjay Mehrotra said on the call he will idle 5% of DRAM and NAND “wafer starts” while waiting for expected data-center growth to resume in the second half of 2019.
“In response to near-term industry conditions, we are taking decisive action to reduce our supply growth to be consistent with industry demand,” Mehrotra said in the call. “At the same time we continue to invest and execute against our strategic priorities to reduce costs and increase the mix of high-value solutions in our portfolio.”