Silicon Valley Is Still The Place To Be

1 Like

We are No.1. And 3.

$weet mu$ic to your ear$, eh, Manch???

What’s not to like? I once went to some random store in San Jose and saw a guy sat there reading the Economist magazine. I said to myself I have come to the right place!

• Smart and talented people coming in droves? Check.

• Economy kicking the world’s ass? Check.

• Great (Chinese) food? Check.

• Diversity with people/cultures from all over the world? Check.

• Great outdoor space. Trees and greenery? Check.

• The best weather in the whole damn world? I say CHECK!

Then how come the City Of San Jose can not seem to pay its policemen enough to want to stay?

The verdict (mine personally) is still out whether San Jose has “great chinese food” ok???

Dude, come out of your 7x7 cave already. SJ is beating SF’s pants off every single effing day!

Even Daly City has better Chinese food than SF. Just the other day I went to that dinky restaurant next to the clinic in the Ranch 99 mall. Better than all SF restaurants of the same genre. Seriously.

1 Like

It’s not just me saying SF Chinese food is kinda meh. This guy also:

The Chinese food in San Francisco’s Chinatown is poor. The Chinese food in Los Angeles’ Chinatown is also quite lousy. Yelp isn’t necessarily the most accurate of judges, but good luck finding any Chinese restaurant in either Chinatown that can sniff an average review much north of 3 out of 5 stars.

The best Chinese food in both cities is outside the downtown areas. In the Bay Area, you can find much better Chinese food in Millbrae, Daly City, Cupertino, Santa Clara. In Los Angeles, the best Chinese food is East of Los Angeles, in places like San Gabriel, Monterey Park, Rosemead, and Alhambra.

Having lived in those two cities most recently, I grew accustomed to having to drive a half hour or more from where I lived to seek out decent Chinese food. I knew many others who did the same.

I would add San Jose to that list. :smile: And his comments on LA is right on as well.

Ok, now you did it. No way in heck does San Tung with its world class chicken wings not beat anything from San Jose or especially Daly City. Come on, Daly City??? :astonished:

Please refrain from further comment until having said wings, ok? If you don’t like fine. But again, +5k Yelper posts, cumulating in a 4 solid star rating, says a lot. Data, however subjective, don’t lie…

Hey, that is one sweet, expensive cave now, ok??? I shudder to think, what if I not followed my realtor buddy’s suggestion to “drive by there and take a look”…

“The East Bay jobless rate of 4.1 percent in May was the lowest since a 4 percent rate in May 2001. The South Bay posted a rate of 3.4 percent in May, the best such level since March 2001. The San Francisco-San Mateo region posted a 2.9 percent jobless rate, the lowest since December 1999.”

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Uh, sounds like we good, if not overheating, for a spell, no??? It sounds like your SJ rental will be coveted by many…

Uhm… So what?

I mean that either means a) everyone who bought recently is working their butts off trying to pay the mortgage b) people who might want to work, but don’t think they can get the job they want gave up and don’t count towards those numbers or c) people moved away.

Are you kidding me??? We will all chip in and buy you an Econ textbook, Terry.:wink:

These are fabulous numbers and results. It is like taking the pulse of the local economy if you will, and the results are like acing an exam. The local economy is humming along, which means at least for the forseeable future, the Bay Area should be fine, if not flaming hot, for higher home valuations as people jump into the market with these historically low interest rates. People can also move into better and larger apartments now that they have more money. People with confidence go and buy that Benz or Rolex which then further keeps the economy moving along… and so on and so on. For some odd reason, we homeowners like higher home valuations and rents. We are funny that way… :slight_smile:

1 Like

But a lot of people stopped adding themselves to the unemployed list in 2009/2010. That number really needs to be related to population or number of houses for it to be relevant to housing market.

I guess I just have to say that being someone looking for a job who is not part of that stat, I am suspicious of those stats now.

I agree that the economy is humming but I’m not sure how much longer. Talked with someone whose husband is a chef, and his sense is that people are tightening up their finances and holding back on splurges. We also had some strange figures from our school auction this year. Attendance was down, bidding on low items was down, but LIVE went high. What does that mean?

Just look at traffic. It’s horrible during peak commute hours.

Statistically, people are saving more. It’s back above 5%. It was running under 3% heading into the real estate crash. That’s one reason it was so horrible. Most people didn’t have a savings cushion. There were only a couple short dips below 10% until 1985. Then 7.5% became the new normal for about 10 years.

Terri…you remind me of Yoggi Berra’s line…It is so crowded nobody goes there anymore…The BA economy is so hot that it has to cool off, right???..hasn’t happened

I just wonder how much worse traffic can get? Commute traffic is starting earlier and earlier. Nowadays it’s all packed up, on both 101 and 280, starting at 3pm. Who goes home at 3pm, slackers!!

1 Like

I don’t see much traffic on 280 except getting off at Palo Alto in the mornings. Most people are taking 101,

The Page Mill exit on 280 is a nightmare. .starts backing up at 7am

1 Like