Silicon Valley Is Still The Place To Be

@Elt1,

How is it that RC passes in MV, yet in Alameda, where 53% of the voters are renters, it did not? Yes, I know a ton of money was spent to fight it in all of these places but one would think Alameda was certainly going to be added to the slaughter… I don’t know MV very well but is it chock full of renters even more so than Alameda?

Residents in Mountain View approved rent control.

Alameda has a lot of old conservative white guys, aka Trump voters,…retired navy and blue collar…not the kind of folks partial to Commie rent control laws…

Fair enough… but I would have thought with Alameda close to Oakland, the rent control virus would have spread easily over…my image of MV is more of homeowners and fairly well to do folks who understand the pro/con arguments of rent control. I understand the city of Richmond, just not Mountain View.

Probably alameda knows first hand how rent control can bring down the quality of neighborhoods. Alameda already has some older building in need of refurbishment. If you rent control a large building, you are never getting any building improvements ever.

:grinning: Obviously it does. So the decision to whether to approve rent control or not is affected by the values of the residents :sweat_smile:

Rent control = urban blight

Step aside, New York!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaclyntrop/2016/11/28/bmws-venture-capital-arm-is-moving-to-silicon-valley-and-looking-for-startups/#1b2c7c8f761b

1 Like

We are the software capital of the world, as software continues to eat up the whole damn world expect more to come kowtow to us.

BWAHAHAHAHA :smiling_imp:

Here’s my idea for a mobility startup: computire

What we do is install an app on your phone that monitors your driving habits. Then we use machine learning to compute an ideal tire geometry and material properties. We use 3D printing to mold your new tires, and then a robot comes and installs them on your car. You also get a few lollipop

Gimme my $350 million

Sounds like a feature for Tesla… Talk to Elon. Tell him I refer you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/phillipkeys/2016/12/01/third-time-could-be-the-charm-for-silicon-valley-and-japan/#75879ead245b

Interesting short story regarding SV salaries…

“Internship salaries in engineering and product management can exceed $6,000 a month, but full-time salaries are even more impressive. According to data collected by Jesse Collins, a Valley intern-turned-employee, the average annual salary for a first-year Silicon Valley worker is more than $105,000, plus a nearly $13,000 stock bonus and almost $26,000 cash bonus.”

So best brains can get as much as $150,000 gross starting pay. For perspective, many engineers in my generation can’t even passed this salary at retirement. Any CS/ engineering graduates that can a job earn a minimum of $100k, a salary that many non-CS/engineering degree employees can’t even smell at retirement.

$100k can support a rental of $2800, $150k can support a rental of $4200. So SF apartments that can fetch $2800 to $4200 should be a good investment.

Engineering is a game for the young. You need to constantly update and upgrade yourself. Unlike in the medical field where age is perceived as experience and thus command premium. Engineering is more like pro sports.

So buy as many properties while you are raking it in with your engineering degrees. It may not last. :slight_smile:

Nobody will hire an engineer over 40

I seen it tho. Really good compensation, too. Just barely 40

Engineers are perfect real estate investors.

When your peers are still dirt poor in medical schools, you already earn 100k for 6-9 years.

By the time your peer is starting as new doctor, your house and rental property already doubled in price.

By the time your peer earn 300k a year, your rental income is already higher than your salary, and you are debating whether to retire or continue your engineering career.

Similarly athletes are perfect real estate investors too, just times 10.

But in reality, doctors are having a better life when they get old, because most engineers and athletes blow away the opportunity, especially if their little brain got too much education.

Most people live only on their salary.

4 Likes

I have the impression medical doctors are big on investing in RE. On the contrary none of my tech coworkers are that much into it. Maybe when they moved out of their old houses, they will keep them as rentals. But that’s more accident than strategy.