Solar Stocks (FSLR, SPWR...) anyone?

I have solar install on my rental in Union City, after the tax credit (used to be 30%, now is 25%), I get back my investment in 5 years. Average lifespan of the system is 20yrs.

biggest cost is the permitting. Most localities really slow the down the process as it isn’t standarized, its a convoluted process.

If governments were serious about addressing global warming permits would be free.

1 Like

its the local governments that are the issue. And education/ability in those places varies wildly. and if you trample on the rights of local governments to make laws and make laws that override them, R’s go crazy calling “government overreach!” :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The permits are not that expensive. Maybe a few hundred. But the regulations are. Requires engineering for the roof. Lots of safety requirements and PGE runs you through the ringer. Panels are only $200. The inverter $1500. Basic 5kw system 18 panels … parts are maybe $6000. System installed $15-$20k.
Definitely profitable for installers.

In that not cost effective in Austin for sure. May be for the guy with a leaky house.
Energy bill is $100 per month, 1 year = $1200, 10 years = $12k. Changing roofs and solar panels every 10 years for $40k don’t make sense.

1 Like

If you need to change roof every 10yrs, for sure solar is not a good investment.

1 Like

It is not that expensive anymore.
I have a 5kw installed that total cost is 12k, the installer takes care everything from a-z, After tax credit, it is $8.4k.
If your electricity rate is moderate/hight and you have good roof that lasts for next 20yrs, solar is still worth.

You got a great deal. Not what I was quoted.
Who was your solar guy?

Basically if you are being raped by PGE it makes sense. But almost anywhere else it doesn’t. I put in Solar at $25k in 2008 for a big 5000sf house. Electrical bill over $300. It made sense.

But PGE plays games. Gives little credit for electricity that is surplus. Plus they rape you at night.

I also paid 12.5k (before credits) for a 5.6Kw system - 14 panels each of this type

I used sunwork.org

I got my deal from a local installer. Jinko brand, enphase micro-inverter, good package.
Usually local installer good a better deal than other populer company like sunrun…
A good installer will recommend good brand and perfect system that matches your consumption.
Any surplus is not good since you get very little pay for that.

Well no wonder they are cheap. Non paid volunteers. I doubt they will do mine for free.

I’ve been quoted $10,200 for a 2.7 Kw system for my Marana home. That’s all I need there. I might just do it. 6-7k after federal and AZ tax credits. I can run the AC full time and have the place comfortable or nearly so when I get here. No internet (no phone lines) so I can’t turn it on remotely. And letting the whole place - walls, floors, all surfaces - get to 95-100 before arriving to turn on the heat pump puts a massive strain on the compressor.

1 Like

For all you greenies. An inconvenient truth

Planet for the Humans.

Should we stop using dryers?

Does not work in the rain snow or at night

I use my dryer maybe 4 times a year. It’s 55 outside but sunny right now and I have laundry drying just fine.
Ever think, when you empty your lint screen, that that’s your nice clothes you’re throwing away?
Quality clothes are getting harder and harder to come by.
BTW - some fascist HOA’s prohibit homeowners for drying their laundry outdoors. Just another reason to never live in one.

1 Like

Fremont-based

2 Likes

How you get rid of the stiffness of line dryed clothes?
Especially towels… they feel like sandpaper