SV Underpays Women In Stock Options Too According To Study

The question should be instead of woman underpay
how about changing it to do you think you got paid unfairly
if woman think yes, then they should fight for more
if man think same way, they should as well

1 Like

When it comes to self report men’s size, be it the paycheck or whatever else, don’t trust men. :rofl:

To be serious, even though I think women are paid less than men in many companies, don’t count on the hired.com study to prove it. The sample size of slightly over 1000 is decent. However, it doesn’t have enough details to show the study is serious, such as how the samples are selected. Without this, this is not a scientific study. It looks more like a publicity play.

At FB, every raise / bonus is pretty much based off formula, trying to keep the bias out. Of course, your initial offer could be different based on how some ppl can negotiate.

We do have a lot of training to make sure we are being inclusive. And also recently a big push on diversity in hiring, not jut gender. I have been holding some position to fill only with person that would increase diversity for the team.

1 Like

Diversity groups can be controversial.

Do Asians being lumped into 1 group? How about Hispanics? Blacks? Caucasians?

Straights and LGBTs separate groups?

Nationalities?

Religious beliefs?

Political alignments?

1 Like

There is no one size fit all. The core principle is we welcome the diverse set of background since we believe that could make a better work culture and build better product. It is up to the team to make sure we watch out for it, so that we won’t have team that are men only or men from China or India only for example.

Sound logical. Any vigorous study on this?

In other words, applying Harvard style of rejection :slight_smile: I’m half serious half joking.

The irony is HR who creates and enforces these polices is almost all women.

It’s also interesting, since it’s insulting if I say all Asian people are the same. I can’t say all Indian people are the same. I can’t say that about African Americans either. Yet, it’s 100% OK for diversity advocates to assume all white people are the same. You can see it because they’ll celebrate a team that’s almost all Asian as being diverse, but a team that’s almost all white is a problem.

One of the diversity groups is doing a 21-day awareness campaign. You basically have to sign-up for it, because there’s a phone tool icon. Anyone that looks you up in the directory will know if you participated or not, so participation might as well be mandatory.

It’s also interesting that companies tend to recruit from the same handful of universities for each department. If diversity is so important, shouldn’t they broaden the universities for recruiting? How much diversity do they get by hiring students taught the same classes by the same faculty?

I think it’s to the point we sub-consciously have a lower bar for minority candidates. That creates a danger of putting people in a position they might not be qualified to have. It’s similar to the article I posted about university admission policies, and it actually hurts minorities. They get into schools they aren’t ready to handle and end up dropping out at a much higher rate.

2 Likes

More news:

Long ago IT was dominated by females, now is by males, futures could well be by females. What kind of techs we need in the future?

1 Like

Did you believe this before, or it was a recent thing with fb/google :slight_smile:

I like how “we” narrative comes from top or from hr:)

1 Like

Because guys would whine too much. Stick to the office. Childbirth ain’t for you.

Ok guys.

I’m going to take a 20% paycut in exchange for a job. Who’s offering?

2 Likes

Arnold tried it once, didn’t he? :slight_smile:

also @wuqijun shots fired.

1 Like

I will require the flexibility to work from home with sick kids, and no meetings after 3pm.

Maybe 4% isn’t such a bad drop in pay for that.

A bit surprised that such schemes are not already (or commonly?) available for women (and men) in SFBA. Is such a waste for highly educated and trained women (or men) to stay at home especially for those who kids can already take care of themselves. There are a long stretch of time between school start time and end time for getting women in the work force. Can easily be 4-6 hours of productive time.

1 Like

Who? Terri? She’s no match for me. And besides, as the Chinese proverb goes, a good man does not querral with women… :rofl:

1 Like