Teach Johnny To Pick Up A Hammer

if he ain’t into being a bookworm… can still be quite successful in this world…

it may be good income but manual labor work is still labor intensive and exposes to all the dust/construction chemical. Maybe be the architect or designer vs. the person that is actually building it…

Absolutely no doubt about the labor intensive part of it. Oh well, no one ever said life was easy…

I was just talking to a guy who did some work to my sewer line (god that was expensive). The man only has a GED and has nearly 20 employees. Net worth = millions. He is happy as a hog, unlimited work.

1 Like

Been a shortage of skilled American construction labor for years…Wages were driven down by illegal immigrants. …American born kids are not taught the skills, would rather be on a computer and most aren’t physically fit enough for hard manual work…If Trump kicks out illegal immigrants there will be an extreme shortage of unskilled and semi skilled laborers.

1 Like

That would mean price appreciation for existing buildings.

I can start learning construction trades and open an online construction school.

Not a bad idea really…that plumbing company owner i was talking to told me he is training up his guys to be ready for the onslaught of work ahead. He knows what’s up.

Is there going to be a ton of Construciton work? Is it due to more construction project or due to boomer retiring or stricter border control?

Blue collar jobs could become high income jobs. It could be good for your fitness and your pocket. Good news to American men. Maybe Trump will get more votes from men next time

Big money in plumbing. They charge over $100/hr in Tahoe…$150/h in the BA…figure their employees make a third of that…

I highly, highly recommend doing major sewer mains. Relatively easy work (cut concrete if any and lay plastic pipe to street main). Cities like Oakland require all homeowners to have their sewer laterals certified before selling.

Watch the CNBC show blue collar millionaires. It’s crazy the fortunes some of them have from jobs a lot of people wouldn’t want. They got into it and started their own company which made them rich.

So true!

Supply and demand. When nobody wants to do something, go do it and charge a huge price!

Colleges are fooling many people and produce many useless degrees with a heavy debt. No wonder 60% of the college graduates are women. In the future, many highly educated women will compete for the highly paid and poorly educated plumbers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Society needs a lot more skilled tradesmen than baristas with liberal arts degrees…Problem is people look down on blue collar work…not prestigious, but can be very lucrative. …

1 Like

That may be the current state, but once the salaries or costs to hire these folks get even higher and then it becomes known that by doing X one can easily make 6 figures say, people will come. How is it different really from the nursing profession? Sure, more prestigious and less labor intensive but still once salaries starting going up people flocked to become nurses. That’s the beauty of Economics. Labor will flow to those industries that comparatively have an advantage or appear to be more lucrative. We just need to let the game run its course.

I have thought about buying an existing plumbing franchise. .I bet they make a lot…don’t want to be involved in the day to day operations. .seems too much like work…lol
Many im the BA are scammers…They come out 24/7, charge whatever they feel like…they know you are desparate if you have a leak or blockage… $300 to snake a blocked line…
Clarks is fair plumbing franchise in Tahoe, a large chain based in Socal

You need to start from the bottom before you can be the boss. I was talking to a plumbing co boss one time and commented on how loaded he must be, he said he didn’t make much being an employee and now finally making some. Not sure if he’s being modest or what. :slight_smile:

Also Solar hires tons of blue collar people:

In the United States, more people were employed in solar power last year than in generating electricity through coal, gas and oil energy combined. According to a new report from the U.S. Department of Energy, solar power employed 43 percent of the Electric Power Generation sector’s workforce in 2016, while fossil fuels combined accounted for just 22 percent. It’s a welcome statistic for those seeking to refute Donald Trump’s assertion that green energy projects are bad news for the American economy.

Just under 374,000 people were employed in solar energy, according to the report, while coal, gas and oil power generation combined had a workforce of slightly more than 187,000. The boom in the country’s solar workforce can be attributed to construction work associated with expanding generation capacity. The gulf in employment is growing with net generation from coal falling 53 percent over the last decade. During the same period, electricity generation from natural gas increased 33 percent while solar expanded 5,000 percent.

2 Likes

Sheet!
Did you see the report last night about a janitor working for the infamous Bart? $200K+
This channel 4 I think, even showed his superiors how he gets into a shop of their own for 1 hour or more every day but lots of over time that made him earn about $750K in 3 years.

Painters in a union earn about $40/hr.

Now, speaking of the “so called Americans” that are born lazy, words from a ranch owner in Fresno, they complain too much. I worked with this 21 years old kid, painting, and he was so upset that because of the sun he couldn’t see where he was painting with his brush, the sun rays hurt me so much me eyes, he said. Oh boy!

We are already talking about it on the “Bart” thread. Pathetic…

You can run for BART director. I don’t remember who I voted for… if your name shows on the ballot let the forum know. We will vote for you. Here’s your slogan:

Make BART Great Again!

Calling Ameicans “born lazy”? Is that discrimination or what?

Make America Work Hard Again!