Tenant partying loud , neighbors complaint

Doesn’t eviction take 10 months? They’re just going to have to wait either way.

Another warning about condo investing. My hiking buddy owns a Florida condo. The tenants son, not on the lease, attacked a security guard and vandalized property in the complex. The landlord, my friend, is required by the HOA to evict them and pay for the damage

2 Likes

can he go after the tenant for his son’s damage ?

Yes. But only the lawyers will win. Unfortunately 90% of tenants have no assets. I have looked at hundreds of tenant applications. 90% have no money in the bank, have debt, bad credit, court records, car loans and net worth near zero.

1 Like

Make that 98% in Santa Cruz.

3 Likes

Neighbors are violating your civil rights. You should file or threaten to file a lawsuit against the neighbors for harassment.

I had a similar issue. Neighbors called me and asked me to evict the tenants. That caused a lot of headache to me. Now when I look back, I should have told the neighbors that I would sue them for harassment.

Tenants are responsible for their own behavior. Neighbors are wrong to make landlord be responsible.

Just assume that your tenants are homeowners. In that case, what can the Neigbhors do? Neighbors should not bother landlord when tenants are at fault. Landlords are legally required to rent to students, to mentally disabled, to veterans, to section 8 and to criminals.

2 Likes

The neighbors can make the landlord’s life difficult. I rented a teardown house on an upscale street to ummm… [not PC term here]… thinking they won’t destroy much since it’s a tear down anyway.

Within 3 weeks, the neighbors called the sheriff every other day, alleged drug dealing, meth cooking etc. All those were probably true. (Tenants bypassed PGE meter, had chemicals, harley in kitchen, people with warrants on property etc)

Neighbors also reported me to code enforcement and property got red tagged. Yeah, I evicted, they were pretty experienced squatters, professional counsel, last minute ex parte hearing etc. However, the single mom with 3 sons was out 10 weeks after the UD. And the rest of her gang.

Sounds like you got better tenants though.

3 Likes

The tenants to me is okay, paid on time, rarely maintenance call except 1 time plumbing.
Only problem is they party on weekend. I could easily solve it if that stupid neighbor call me immediately then i’ll call the cops, I would be suprise they’ll still host party there i call the cops multiple times on time. Unfortunately this ahole neighbor only notify me afterward and blame everything on me. when i ask him to call the cops, he refused and afraid of retaliation by the tenant.

Just ignore it. “Can’t see/ hear it from my house” … works for me.

If it was really serious, more than 1 neighbor would complain and they would call LE already.

3 Likes

actually more than 1. but none of them willing to just pick up the phone to call the cops
And tenants agreed to be leaving on aug20 already.

Eviction would cost you time and money which you may be unable to ever recover. They may not be out before 8/20/ if you go that route.

4 Likes

I think what i’ll do is just go drive by at 11:30-12 midnight on friday/saturday. If i see them loud partying, i’ll just call the cops to stop it. PM already sent multiple letters to them and they didn’t stop the behavior, i think really need to cops to break the party up , no more fun for them.

I have better things to do weekends 11:30pm.

And what is the benefit for you? Did not sound like the neighbors are your tenants threatening to move. Would it make you feel good doing “the right thing”? Wasting police resources?

1 Like

I think I’m trying to the right thing, I don’t think it’s right to party loud until 3 or 4 am in the morning that disturbs other people. I really want to see how loud and disturbing to other people. It’s just these neighbor say, i want to check it out in person too.

Calling police won’t help much. Police just gave warning to the tenants, that’s all. Law enforcement has very limited authority.

Even if you file an eviction, how to present proof that they did create noise nuisance? If you can find neighbors to write complaint letter, will it be good enough? Police report is not very helpful since noise could be stopped by the time police arrive.

I think it’s very hard to evict a tenant based on noise nuisance.

I might need to do an eviction based on noise nuisance and neighbors already sent complaint emails. I don’t have much confidence that the eviction would be successful, it’s going to be very difficult for sure.

Tenant protection also brings nuisance to neighbors. Neighbors should just shut up and accept the noisy tenants their votes have created.

1 Like

If they’re not willing to call the cops they won’t have much of a case. If the noise is that bad, they have to call the cops.

3 Likes

Whether neighbors call the cop or not, landlord has nothing to do with it. Landlord is not responsible for tenant ‘s behavior. If a tenant kills someone, landlord should not go to jail.

Tenant’s civil rights are protected by the law. They have the right to hold parties. Neighbors needs to ask district attorney to file a criminal case against noise pollution, landlord has no responsibility.

These neighbors are illogical. They don’t want to call police and are afraid of retaliation. But they demand the landlord to file eviction. Won’t landlord be even more afraid of retaliation?

If the neighbor’s son kills someone, how do we make the neighbor become a responsible party?

Years ago, a neighbor threatened me when I was considering a section 8 tenant. He has no right on my rental decision. He said that he would hold me responsible if the section 8 tenant do something bad. That’s totally incorrect. Landlord is not responsible for anything a tenant does.

Landlord has no obligation to evict a noisy tenant. Why are neighbors forcing the landlord to create new homeless population?

2 Likes

Thank you BARB.
lease ends soon and they’ve agreed to leave, this is a very good learning experience.
i think calling cops will definitely stop the late party, cuz when i was young and party at a friend’s house, someone called the cops and end the party. we can pretty much continue next time, but having a cop knock on your door when all of us are drunk and high is not fun. we chose to party somewhere else next time.

Doing the right thing is a two way street. You asked them to call you immediately if there’s a problem. They aren’t obliging. It’s like complaining that the police never stop the robber, but then admitting you saw the robbery but didn’t feel like calling until the next day.

Ours can give fines. They also show up in 5 minutes.

I’ve been satisfied with the calls I’ve had to make.