Tenant partying loud , neighbors complaint

I’m not sure I agree with you here. As the landlord, you are allowing these people to be in the neighborhood. So you do bear some responsibility for the decision for them to be there and stay there. I think in dioworld’s case though, that there’s nothing he can do.

We had a set of tenants nearby who were being visited by the police multiple times a week. Neighbors called the landlord with visual evidence that they had been stealing packages (and stupid enough to be opening them on the porch), as well as drugs and more. The landlord said that the tenants had the right to have whoever they wanted over and he didn’t care. that is unsympathetic and unhelpful. But no one was expecting the landlord to be the police or call the police. They just wanted the landlord to understand that there was a problem, and he blew them off.

Calling police will help as tenants can not repeat the nuisance as this is recorded event. Next landlord will know or next place they do such, police will know their history…This is like getting a ticket…

I rent a car from AVIS and hit other car (assume my fault and car condition was good originally) on the road. I became the tenant of AVIS (owner).

Whether AVIS has any responsibility on the decision to give me a car that results accidents?

2 Likes

Neighbors are wolf to landlord, but instantly become sheep to tenants.

The neighbors called police many times and nothing changed. Some neighbors are good and they emailed me the complaints and the interference to them. I gave many warnings to tenant but eviction is impossible. If I do an eviction, it would be very diffulty and the tenant can sue for wrongful eviction. Later, one neighbor became very annoying and he called repeatedly in the midnight and issued many angry threats to me. Until one day, I told him that I’m helping the neighbors but I am not liable for tenant’s personal behavior. I warned this neighbor that I would sue him for harassment. Then, I never heard anything from any of the neighbors.

Don’t be nice to neighbors. They would think you as a target to dump their emotional distress. Tell the neighbors that tenant noise has nothing to do with landlord, period. They can go to the mayor and councilmember to change the tenant protection laws.

3 Likes

If you’ve crashed 10 cars before, your 11th victim might very well have a case.

Not that you should still have a license after that… Or insurance, but if AVIS is therefore insuring you… Bad judgement.

1 Like