The Giant Beast That is the Global Economy

Looks awesome!

This globe-spanning docuseries brings the smart, stylized storytelling of Adam McKay’s The Big Short to a quirky and compelling exploration of the global economy.

This docuseries brings the smart, stylized storytelling of Adam McKay’s The Big Short to a quirky and compelling exploration of the global economy. In each episode, host Kal Penn — with the help of some celebrity friends — answers a burning question like: How can I launder a bag of dirty cash? How scared should I be of a rubber apocalypse? And is it easier for dicks to get rich?

2 Likes

It’s really good. It has a lot of the style of The Big Short. The guy behind that is involved. Kal Penn is great as the host. I hope there are future seasons.

1 Like

OK. Looks like I need to watch it.

1 Like

It’s very global. They cover when India decided to ban the 500 and 1,000 Rupee bills due to massive counterfeiting by Pakistan. It covers Malaysia’s corruption scandal. It explores why Singapore has so little corruption. There’s a segment on crypto which visits SF and Czech Republic. There a whole show on do you have to be a jerk to succeed in capitalism. It covers when capitalism turns anti competitive due to rent seeking behavior and then is no longer capitalism. There quite a bit on AI.

1 Like

Counterfeits are big in CA too. Too local stores told me they have seen 10 counterfeit $100 bills in one month. I guess they bleach $1 bills and photo copy the fake Benjamins

1 Like

Watched for 10 mins, fell asleep, first episode is very boring. Which episodes are interesting?
Worse can only watch on PrimeVideo!

You have time to watch stuff? I thought you are just always making a ton of money.

Refer to this thread, The Greatest Investor You’ve Never Heard Of,

“My thing is,” Wertheim says as he reflects on his long career, “I wanted to be able to have free time. To me, having time is the most precious thing.”

Make sure you have plenty of free time. Whatever you do, choose the option that give you the most free time e.g. Use a PM for rental for godsake.

Time is always precious. I get it. But even then I’m just assuming your free time is spent on other meaningful or productive things than watching stuff.

Need to read widely and watch broadly to gain knowledge and appreciate life!

So what are you watching these days?

The man is only interested in Chinese concubine shows. :roll_eyes:

Wide range of interests… I probably should broaden my interest and stop watching reruns of the Office and the Food Network for 3-4 hours a day…

This is pretty eye opening. It’s about how global aid programs harm poor countries while the people running the programs get rich. To keep getting rich, the people running the programs have no incentive to reduce poverty.

2 Likes

A study of lights at night suggests dictators lie about economic growth

https://archive.ph/59lZ2

That’s why we l hated Carter so much. He made us turn off the lights and made us feel bad about are selves. Hair shirts and Calvinism are not good governing strategy. Biden makes us depressed. Hopefully his party gets beaten badly… we will all feel better.