The Homeless Are Frankly Everywhere

Ok, I was there for a solid month and I did not see that many homeless folks in Penang, Malaysia. Probably too hot to be camped out on the streets. I did see an occasional beggar, especially at the night markets, but again not like there were a lot of them. To me, even the locals (who are not rich) seemed to look down on the beggars (esp if no obvious disabilities such as missing limbs, etc).

Welcome back

1 Like

Hi there! Whatā€™s shaking in Lake Tahoe? I take it your properties there especially have gone upā€¦

1 Like

Life is good

1 Like

ā€œGiant disposal containers for used syringes are strategically located in areas with high concentrations of homeless people.ā€

Notice how they have zero issue affording their drug habits. They are usually getting money from crime.

ā€œThis used to be the most beautiful, amazing city ā€” now peopleā€™s houses and cars are getting broken into, and you can call 911, but no one is going to come,ā€

ā€œPortland, like Los Angeles, Sacramento and much of the San Francisco Bay Area, has experienced a conspicuous rise in the number of people living in sprawls of tents and RVs, even as these communities have poured millions of tax dollars ā€” billions, collectively ā€” into supportive services. That spending has moved some people off the streets and helped many others survive, but it hasnā€™t disrupted the broader cycle of homelessness in any meaningful way.ā€

Exactly.

The issue is tolerance. They think housing solutions need to be private housing which is EXPENSIVE. Housing should be military style barracks with similar discipline and rules. Itā€™d be MUCH cheaper and uncomfortable enough to motivate people to get other housing. We shouldnā€™t tolerance tents in parks and near highways.

4 Likes

I think a lot of homeless prefer living in the streets to forced housing in barracks. Tolerance has lead to a whole culture of homeless. The problem is a lot bigger than just proving housing. Force the criminals into jails, the druggies into rehab centers. The rest should get subsidies for rent on a lottery system. Many will have to move to where there is cheaper housingā€¦ just like the middle class does.

1 Like

Thereā€™s an issue with rehab centers. When you disregard all the nonsense - like the DUIā€™s sentenced by a judge who arenā€™t really alcoholics - the success rate is about 5%. Someone who ā€œrelapsesā€ after 6 months and goes back is counted as two successes instead of one failure.

Personally I think if you flunk rehab then jail should be used as a stick. Coddling drugggies doesnā€™t help them or the rest of us.

1 Like

Weā€™d have to build a LOT more jails, and thereā€™s zero political will to do that. Weā€™ve been leaning into shorter sentences, early release, and decriminalization for awhile now. Weā€™d also need the will to make prisons less expensive to run.

1 Like

One of the hallmarks of first world nations is homeless in urbanized cities (DT)?
I tend to avoid DT :slight_smile: The only DT I feel safe to go is Orchard road and Shenton way.

2 Likes
1 Like

Well, if you are jailed that means 3 square meals a day and a comfy bed to boot, no??? FREE!!!

Iā€™m surprised to hear that similar legislation is pending here in AZ. Depending on where you are itā€™s either too hot in summer or too cold in winter for anyone to be homeless. Never seen a problem with it anywhere - even in my climate sweet spot at 6000 ft. Of course I avoid the dumpier parts of Phoenix and all of Tucson.

The threadā€™s subject title says it allā€¦

1 Like
1 Like