The Latest With Our Fav Paradise City, Palo Alto

Professor DragonBoy has a nice ring.

1 Like

Only 50% profit from 2008 to 2018. Be careful of what you wish for.

Ms Rice could make much more money if she did not take advantage of Stanford faculty discount.

She is not really rich, pretty poor compared with Hillary. But hope she will get better money going forward.

Given a choice, I would take a professor job at UCB instead of Stanford. Pension benefit is more lucrative than the housing subsidy and nicer office.

I regret that I did not undetand that government job is the best job.

Yeah, agree in some ways. My buddy and classmate from Lowell is retiring from his county job in two months. Gets about 90%+ of his salary for the rest of his life. Nope, gov’t jobs (at least back then when they gave good pensions) are good…

And at a very young age. A lot of these government pensioners will be collecting pensions longer than they worked. Unsustainable

1 Like

The lease terms are getting worse and worse. Let’s say you pass away leaving a elderly, disabled spouse. If that spouse was never a Stanford professor he/she can be thrown out on the street after a year if Stanford wants the house for new faculty. Oh and the “ground and water” fee is approaching $600 a month.
The slowdown in the Peninsula housing market is hitting Stanford the same as everywhere else. Some faculty members who have lived for years in “temporary” campus housing are apparently willing to commute in from elsewhere if prices soften to the point where they can afford to.

My grandpa did that from GM. He started before he was 18 at a company that was bought by GM. He got credit for the pre-GM years towards GM retirement. My dad started at 19 and retired at 51. He did the math, and he was working for $50/wk. It looked like the pension was going to be worse in the new contract, so he retired under the existing contract.

What do you do when retire early? Got to have plan for the next 30-40 years. My ex girlfriends dad retired early with $300k in 1975. That is like $2.5m now. But he would drink every day with his buddies. Had a heart attack then a stroke.
I retired even earlier. Have since retired three times . Ready to retire again. But I get bored not working. And don’t drink.

My dad loves to drive places. He delivers travel trailers to dealerships. If he likes the place, then he’ll stay extra after delivery. That’s how he’s ended up with land and homes in other places.

So he got his pension and still works on other jobs.

I think retirement with a pension doesn’t really mean retirement literally, it only means you start collecting pension checks. You can go work another job or start a business.

3 Likes

A lot depends on what you do. If the guy hated his job he might have had a heart attack and then a stroke anyhow. At least with early retirement he was happy for a time.

The guy was an engineer at Pratt and Whitney. Was bought out. Big companies basically force out old high paid engineers. Don’t think it won’t happen to you. Engineers over 40 need to plan for a new career or retirement.

2 Likes

I retired at 51. Funny thing is, as soon a you do that and people find out you have bandwidth they start grabbing you for stuff. It takes about 6 months before you learn to start saying “no.”

Did you get a pension to retire early?